One more Sat. night in CLT thread

Harry Callahan

Veteran
Sep 16, 2002
Your rearview mirror
Visit site
Another well you know what in CLT tonight. Far to many flights from the islands scheduled to connect to the same bank. Most as usual not on time. Results bags fslling off the TSA belt & we haven't even got them to sort & put on carts to run out. Results many unhappy psgrs AGAIN who will not get their luggage.
When will some one whom ever is responsible for this WAKE UP & see we have a huge problem. US Customs (I was told) has no where near enough people to handle this volume & schedule.
Somebody PLEASE do something. I really feel for these folks who don't receive their luggage.

PS:It's been a long day. I meant bags falling off the TSA belt.

Another well you know what in CLT tonight. Far to many flights from the islands scheduled to connect to the same bank. Most as usual not on time. Results bags fslling off the TSA belt & we haven't even got them to sort & put on carts to run out. Results many unhappy psgrs AGAIN who will not get their luggage.
When will some one whom ever is responsible for this WAKE UP & see we have a huge problem. US Customs (I was told) has no where near enough people to handle this volume & schedule.
Somebody PLEASE do something. I really feel for these folks who don't receive their luggage.

PS:It's been a long day. I meant bags falling off the TSA belt.

Doesn't the nature of the Caribbean flying (turns) require those flights to connect to the same late bank in CLT?

I'm not sure if you are saying that you don't have enough manpower on the ramp, or that we should maybe not have as many arriving Caribbean flights. Should we pull out of 8 or 9 destinations because Customs and Fleet Service can't handle the loads?

What's the answer? Maybe downsize CLT?

Why would (or should) an airline have to cut flights simply because of a lack of US Customs agents at an airport? Why not charge the government for every delayed bag? Just present them a bill, have them laugh it off, then go to court and sue them for the bill. The negative press alone might make them put more manpower into CLT.

At least passengers would find out who the responsible party was.

Why would (or should) an airline have to cut flights simply because of a lack of US Customs agents at an airport? Why not charge the government for every delayed bag? Just present them a bill, have them laugh it off, then go to court and sue them for the bill. The negative press alone might make them put more manpower into CLT.

At least passengers would find out who the responsible party was.
You know that will not work. Passengers will still blame USAirways. It's almost like the PHL Christmas Meltdown a few years ago. The Department of Transportations Report showed USAirways Management at fault. But to this day, the FSA's get the bad rap. Good Old Uncle Al....

You know that will not work. Passengers will still blame USAirways. It's almost like the PHL Christmas Meltdown a few years ago. The Department of Transportations Report showed USAirways Management at fault. But to this day, the FSA's get the bad rap. Good Old Uncle Al....

Good point, Hope. I get idealistic before my first cup of coffee.

Okay, so how does the problem get solved? Perhaps moving some of those flights to other connecting airports (read: not CLT or PHL)?

The problem is: What airport can be used to accommodate those flights? Certainly not PIT. My new philosophy is that less is more in regards to where I work. Parker doesn't see any value in PIT, so I don't see a point in trying to convince him otherwise.

A movement to any other city for Caribbean connections just spreads the problem around instead of solving it. FLL is out, MIA has enough to do, RDU and GSO would be okay if there was enough connecting traffic, but there isn't any to mention. The Northeastern Focus cities are too far. DCA and BWI - no dice.

I'm feeling bad for CoachRowsey and the other CLT agents who have to watch this over and over, but until Tempe addresses the problem and convinces Custom to add agents, the problem is going to continue. Either that or cut flights.

Looks like I answered my own question from my previous post.

I don't know how this works at other airports but on Sa & I;m also told Su. night there are just far to many arrivals from the islands all scheduled around the same time to connect to the same banks. Alot of the flights are late then FIS is creamed as I said earlier they don't have the help.
Part of this could be solved by spreading out the arrival times & not trying to connect to the same bank. As far as the last bank goes maybe some of the flights could be moved up to arrive earlier then connect to last bank. We also usually get some holds on the last bank in order to connect luggage. The only reason the bags we do make get on is because in spite of all of what we've been through we still bust our butts to get the luggage on. Any one think we ever get a thank you ? Well I will answer. NEVER.

I think there are a few things Tempe (Marketing) can do in the short term to reduce the problem. First, look at the routing of the Aircraft. Possible use say the LGA-Island aircraft to go back to CLT, not just go back to LGA and sit for the rest of the day. Move the 1st & 2nd bank to the Islands a little earlier, and move the last bank a few minutes later. Yes I know we would also move the connections earlier too. But it can be done. I do understand the TSA and Customs problems, but they are also in a bind because Employees do not want to work just one or two days a week. BUT IT CAN BE DONE IF THEY JUST RAN THIS AIRLINE !

While I know this is very frustrating, there is not too much that can be done in the short term. Longer term, a number of these flights will move to Atlanta, handling the post merger connections.

They are also concerned about CUTTING little Part Time Hours, besides the Managers are getting nice bonus's.

Who gives a rats butt about the rest of us.
Amazing :down:

I think there are a few things Tempe (Marketing) can do in the short term to reduce the problem. First, look at the routing of the Aircraft. Possible use say the LGA-Island aircraft to go back to CLT, not just go back to LGA and sit for the rest of the day. Move the 1st & 2nd bank to the Islands a little earlier, and move the last bank a few minutes later. Yes I know we would also move the connections earlier too. But it can be done. I do understand the TSA and Customs problems, but they are also in a bind because Employees do not want to work just one or two days a week. BUT IT CAN BE DONE IF THEY JUST RAN THIS AIRLINE !

And to think Parker wants to buy Delta, he can't even handle the luggage! No wonder DAL folks are stressed about being bought out by US.

Alice Cramden

And to think Parker wants to buy Delta, he can't even handle the luggage! No wonder DAL folks are stressed about being bought out by US.

Alice Cramden
And I am sure luggage never misconnects in ATL? :lol: riiiiight...... Same s&^t, different airline......

According to DOT website, Jan-Sep 2006, DL mishandled 6.63 bags/1,000pax, and US 7.69/1,000pax.....thus, it seems that a few bags miss the last bank at ATL, too. ;) I can see why the DL folks are so "stressed out..." :lol:

This has been going on for several years in CLT and nothing as changed. This means it is acceptable to continue. As far as mgmt is concerned, it's part of the cost of doing business and the charges incured for delayed baggage and unhappy customers is acceptable. If Tempe was concerned, they would correct the problem. Apparently part of the "Al Crellin" way of doing business, was carried over with the merger. I wouldnt expect any help or changes.

This has been going on for several years in CLT and nothing as changed. This means it is acceptable to continue. As far as mgmt is concerned, it's part of the cost of doing business and the charges incured for delayed baggage and unhappy customers is acceptable. If Tempe was concerned, they would correct the problem. Apparently part of the "Al Crellin" way of doing business, was carried over with the merger. I wouldnt expect any help or changes.

You know westcoastguy its funny you would say that. A few years ago I was told by a manager(no longer with us by the way) the company only wanted to sell the connecting times & didn't care about the luggage. "Just do the best you can".