One More Thing That I Want For Christmas...

casual rat

Senior
Aug 25, 2002
Dear Santa,

It's me again. I know that I asked for a F9 Forum a few days ago, but I have just one more thing that I need to ask for...I need a new CEO and BOD. I need a group of leaders who actually may have a clue as to how to conduct a sound business. I want a BOD who doesn't treat human beings as if they're 'numerical equations'. I want a Leadership who tries to communicate honestly, instead of the 'patronizing', draconian 'crack heads', who are running UA now.

I want a BOD that actually has the capacity to plan. No 'copy-cat' BOD like I have now. I don't want a BOD that jumps off a bridge if 'Brand X' is willing to. I want a BOD who can suck it up, take on a brave stance, and raise ticket fares by $5.00-- you know, to compensate for the high cost of fuel and other costs of doing business.

I want a BOD who doesn't want to have an effect on a person who gave up most of their productive lives, building a company (who thought they would retire in peace) and leaving them to retire in peace, without taking what's left away from them.

I want a BOD who will be brave and terminate the 'accessory executives'. Santa, why does UA need a VP in charge of a parking lot anyway, that's kind of silly, eh? Why do we have so many VP's anyhow? The USA has Dick Cheney with a heart condition, and he's good enough for 275+ million Americans.....I just don't see the big picture I guess. Why do I need four layers of Management in a Hub station either? How many different ways can one say "I hear what you're saying" anyways?

I want a BOD who is in sync with the common, frontline employee. You know the visible faces who represent the Company on a daily basis. I want the BOD/Management to be able to rid the company of the unprofessional employee as well--heck they're usually never around but getting paid anyhow....wait, that's kind of like some of our managers now that I think about it Santa...could this be where they come from :)X-Files Theme FADE IN and OUT: ) ? I'd like accountability from my new BOD. A BOD that supports a consistant, non-moody 'manpower environment'.

I want a BOD that I can respect, one that I don't look upon as thieves. One that I can get behind. A BOD who takes safety, customer service, and the daily operation to new heights opposed to placing hurdles in that make the job seemingly less efficient. I don't want a BOD who supports suing institutions who we owe money to....that's goofy!

Anyhow Santa, you get the picture. If somehow you can deliver this 'biggie', I think most folks around here would be pretty happy. The competition might fret, but some of them already have 'George W' to help them out. We need some help too...trust me!

Well, thanks again for your time, I don't want to seem too greedy here,
Rat
PS... The cookies and the bourbon will be in their usual spot!

FADE TO UP: Happy Xmas (John Lennon/Yoko Ono)

Anyone can join in the chorus if they would like!

FADE TO OUT: ;)

Sorry to intercept your message to Santa but he is presently tied up w/ the requests that are more "do-able".

It would be nice to say that UA should have management that can do the brave thing but the reality is that UA is doing pretty much what other legacy airlines are doing from the perspective of reworking the business. The problem is that UA, like US, is in much deeper shneet than AA, CO, DL, or NW so has to make much deeper cuts to turn things around. The creditors are getting restless at the lack of a turnaround plan which is forcing UA to dig deeper. The jury is still out whether UA can pull it off without alienating everyone including the employees that can make or break the company. Like many of you, I am skeptical.