One Rude Agent

night-ice

Senior
Aug 30, 2002
I am curious as to if other non-rev's and their families have experienced any rude "encounters" from gate agents while trying to non-rev. This weekend was probably the rudest I have encountered. Granted, at times I know the agents are stressed by being understaffed, overbooked flights, cancellations/re-bookings, etc; so I am not complaining about that because I know it sucks. What does bother me, though, are the facts below: No problem checking-in downstairs with baggage and going through security. The flight was back and forth on seat availability so I opted to use my "SA-1" boarding priority (or so I thought until I found out afterwards). When we walked up to the gate to get our passes and announce that we are non-rev's, the agent snapped back at another non-rev and told her "well, NOW that THEY'RE here, you're chances are not good." hmm.. I said "well, THANKS." No greeting or acknowledgement whatsoever. Anyways, she said she'd let us know and ask if we'd split. "Yes", I replied. A few other stand-bys were cleared, which I thought must have been a "must rides" but not in uniform or they, too, could have been SA-1's. Most of us were cleared for a seat but not all so someone stayed back..no biggie. The next flight had seats. Well, when she tried ticketing for the seats, all that were left were emergency seats, which the kids could not seat. I said "we're used to it, we'll change once on-board." "What a pain in the ass", she said. Ok, she said she'd board everyone then us. At the end of the boarding process, the kept yelling "go, go, go" like she was herding cattle. Afterwards, when I asked to be rolled over to the next list, this is where it gets better. She asked (this time) to see my "ID". I presented my driver's license - a Gov't issued photo ID. She said "no, your employee id." Well, I never travel with it, as it is not a requirement, as I never travel in uniform. I told the agent I didn't have it. She looked at me dumbfoundly and made sure what she thought she heard was correct. "No, I do not have my employee ID; however, you can look at my travel profile if you have any questions."
She said "you don't have your employee ID?" "Where do you work?" "what do you do" "Why don't you have your employee ID?" (this was beginning to be a game of 20 questions) Granted I fly out of this airport all the time with no problems except for this particular trip. Previously, I contacted the Travel Bureau and inquired as to wether or not we need our employee ID to travel...the answer.."a Gov't issued photo ID is all you need to board. If any questions, the agent can look under the employee's travel prfile." I knew this and don't like being "questioned" by some nosey agent wanting to know everything. ANyways, once I made my connection, I went to the service desk for another issue. Curiously, I asked what boarding priority we were listed out of the previous city. I was told I was SA-4 and the rest were SA-3! Fuming, I wanted to know why were we boarded at a lower boarding priority when I clearly used a SA-1 on the ETC? "It looks like the agent changed your boarding priority." So, I not only wasted a SA-1 but also would have been screwed on my connecting flight had I not checked my boarding status...another full flight. Not to mention I could have probably gotten a seat before the others at the departure city instead of having to wait for the next flight.
All this being said, I never want to complain on another employee but this is just not acceptable. Now I have to try to get my SA-1 re-credited and wonder why the check-in agent was such a nasty person to another non-rev? Thought? Suggestions? :rolleyes:

What station?

Another excellent reason for seniority based boarding priority.

What station?

Another excellent reason for seniority based boarding priority.

This was, unfortunately, "seniority based"..which I am 100% for. However, I didn't think the agent could change boaring priority?

This was, unfortunately, "seniority based"..which I am 100% for. However, I didn't think the agent could change boaring priority?
The agent at the ticket counter is the one who puts you on the standby list, unless you used the kiosk.

The agent at the ticket counter is the one who puts you on the standby list, unless you used the kiosk.

As an active wholly owned employee (S3) why have agents tried to board me as an S5 (affiliated i.e. Mesa, etc)?
A few other questions:
1. When an agent pulls up a non rev list for boarding purposes, doesn't Sabre automatically prioritize the boarding order?
2. If that answer is yes then why have I seen S4's (parents and children of an active employee traveling without the employee) boarded before an active wholly owned employee (S3)?
3. Can an agent override at the gate (not ticket counter) an ETC listing category for boarding priority?

Thanks!
P.S. I'm also interested in going back to the old way of paying one time a year for my parents etc and not have them hassle with the logistics of the current way of getting tickets. They had to provide a marriage certificate a few years back to verify they were legitimately on my passes. They are in their 70's and married for 30+ years. Enough. They should be able to list and go. Period.
Wouldn't this alleviate some of the stress for an agent to get the boarding process finished faster and more smoothly? I'm all for that. After all, we're supposed to be on the same team.

As an active wholly owned employee (S3) why have agents tried to board me as an S5 (affiliated i.e. Mesa, etc)?
A few other questions:
1. When an agent pulls up a non rev list for boarding purposes, doesn't Sabre automatically prioritize the boarding order?
2. If that answer is yes then why have I seen S4's (parents and children of an active employee traveling without the employee) boarded before an active wholly owned employee (S3)?
3. Can an agent override at the gate (not ticket counter) an ETC listing category for boarding priority?

I'm wholly owned also and I ALWAYS use the kiosks. Too many times have I been listed incorrectly by the agent at the counter. Why does it sometimes happen that we are listed as an S5? They see the word express and assume all express are S5s, they don't look or don't care. If I have to check in with an agent, I always find an empty computer and make sure I was listed right. Then I find a gate agent and bother them with correcting it if it loks like it will hinder my getting on the flight. Use this entry, G*L[flight number]/PALL.

Sabre does automatically list them in the correct order, however do you know if you were listed correctly? Or, the family members were not listed correctly and were instead given an S3.

It's such a pain to override the boarding priority, you have to go in, cancel the segment, er, rebook it, et, then recheck in. Why bother? It was probably done wrong from the beginning.

Oh and also, it's not just mainline stations that list you wrong. While I was with PDT, I flew out of a PDT station, they even listed me as an S5. The agent in CLT caught it on my connection homr and was nice enough to fix it. But besides hoping for a big S3 written on our IDs, just use a kiosk.

When you check in at the gate make sure the agents know what boarding code you are.When you check in at the kiosk it does not know that you are a sa-1,just let the agent. It helps if you do have your company ID, agents do not have to type in all your info they can just scan the ID and the info comes up.

Just e-mail the pass bureau and explain that it looks like that your priority had been changed (by mistake if you don't want to get anyone in trouble) and give them the record locator.. they will credit it back to your account. I had a "mistake" happen to one of my passes it took 3 days and they did it.

[email protected]

In addition I have been treated rudely by agents when non-revving and it sucks... cause you just have to sit there and be quiet... or else you are screwed! You did the right thing ... just stay proffesional.

Just e-mail the pass bureau and explain that it looks like that your priority had been changed (by mistake if you don't want to get anyone in trouble) and give them the record locator.. they will credit it back to your account. I had a "mistake" happen to one of my passes it took 3 days and they did it.

[email protected]

In addition I have been treated rudely by agents when non-revving and it sucks... cause you just have to sit there and be quiet... or else you are screwed! You did the right thing ... just stay proffesional.
Did you all see that part of the " I make us Fly" stuff that said "and remember Non-Revs are customers too"? You should be treated as good as the other customers!

I too have had rude agents that don't follow procedures mostly in PHX by our agents (EAST SIDE). I was on an SA1 pass 1st on the list last on the plane, other non-revs in uniform were put ahead of me. When I asked the agent he gave no answer and asked "are you getting on". Watch out in PHX.

I too have had rude agents that don't follow procedures mostly in PHX by our agents (EAST SIDE). I was on an SA1 pass 1st on the list last on the plane, other non-revs in uniform were put ahead of me. When I asked the agent he gave no answer and asked "are you getting on". Watch out in PHX.

The agents working US East in PHX are horribly rude to revenue customers too. I was accused by them as a CP of trying to "sneak" two people on as companion upgrades. They wrote in big on my boarding pass that I'd already checked in and then the agent made a comment to the person they were training that "Watch out these Preferreds try to sneak one more than one companion, they'll keep coming back up here with different people."

She asked (this time) to see my "ID". I presented my driver's license - a Gov't issued photo ID. She said "no, your employee id." Well, I never travel with it, as it is not a requirement, as I never travel in uniform. I told the agent I didn't have it. She looked at me dumbfoundly and made sure what she thought she heard was correct. "No, I do not have my employee ID; however, you can look at my travel profile if you have any questions."
She said "you don't have your employee ID?" "Where do you work?" "what do you do" "Why don't you have your employee ID?" (this was beginning to be a game of 20 questions) Granted I fly out of this airport all the time with no problems except for this particular trip. Previously, I contacted the Travel Bureau and inquired as to wether or not we need our employee ID to travel...the answer.."a Gov't issued photo ID is all you need to board. If any questions, the agent can look under the employee's travel prfile." I knew this and don't like being "questioned" by some nosey agent wanting to know everything.
This is news to me always thought as an employee when you NON-REV you have to have your term-pass and/or employee ID. Your database needs to be check when non-reving. As a paying passenger ID’s are not mandatory.

Did you all see that part of the " I make us Fly" stuff that said "and remember Non-Revs are customers too"? You should be treated as good as the other customers!
So when a flight cancels non-revs should get recommitted just like revenue passengers queue up in line and check flight booking and get relisted get meal vouchers and ground Transportation hotels if need it. Delay bags deliver. Expenses paid because your bags were delay
I like this principle

G*Lflt#/Pall, I think give you the stand-by list the day of departure, you can check where you stand on the list so the PHX agents don't screw you. If you add *H to it tou get date of hire numbers also.

G*Lflt#/Pall, I think give you the stand-by list the day of departure, you can check where you stand on the list so the PHX agents don't screw you. If you add *H to it tou get date of hire numbers also.

Thanks for all of the info. Was not aware of the *H after the PALL entry.

I also experienced being listed as an SA1 in PHX and being boarded last after other non-revs. The flight was not full but that SA1 is a valuable commodity to an employee.

If we could simplify the process I believe the gate agents might not be so harried thus less rude. Our hands are tied when a boarding situation needs to be clarified as any "challenge" can be interpreted to be hostile. If an agent is rude to their co-workers then I have to believe they are rude to our customers. I also think that the culture of devaluing the workforce at U (not assets but liabilities) carries down through the ranks. We then see employees treating passengers as interruptions and co-workers as not worthy of a little extra effort. A little of the Golden Rule goes a long way.

Latest posts