One step closer to Star

LavMan

Veteran
Feb 12, 2003
Lufthansa, US Airways Announce Cooperation Plans
Thursday May 15, 9:11 am ET

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 15, 2003--Lufthansa today announced it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Arlington, VA-based US Airways, covering the establishment of a long-term strategic alliance.
We are looking forward to working with US Airways to improve the travel options of our customers by enhancing access to both parties'' extensive networks, code-sharing, joint promotions, and customer services such as through-check-in, lounge access and mileage accrual, said Juergen Weber, Chairman and CEO of Lufthansa German Airlines, adding, US Airways has indicated its interest in also joining the Star Alliance and we strongly support their participation in Star as well. This is a newly invigorated company, one with a clear focus on providing world-class service to its customers in a way that ensures the success of the business - priorities which we share.
US Airways President and CEO David Siegel said, This new alliance with Lufthansa comes at a very exciting time for US Airways, as we begin implementing the business goals we set forth during our restructuring. We are the biggest carrier on the East Coast, and bring to Lufthansa our base of four million active frequent flyers and feed traffic. Our customers will see new destinations and additional customer service benefits - enhancements we plan to multiply as we move towards membership in the Star Alliance.
From its Frankfurt and Munich hubs, Lufthansa provides one of the most extensive global networks of any major airline, flying to 340 destinations in nearly 90 countries worldwide, including 18 cities throughout North America.
US Airways is the nation''s seventh-largest airline, serving nearly 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Europe. Its transatlantic service operates primarily from its new international terminal in Philadelphia, the fifth-largest metropolitan area in the U.S. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and the US Airways Express partner carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day.

If US is going to become a member of *, wouldn''t it be somewhat beneficial for US to have some service to JFK??? Many * alliance members fly to JFK, and it would make a good connection point for flights to Heathrow, Vienna, Munich, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, and Frankfurt

Perhaps 5 or so DH8 flights from PHL, 3 or 4 DH8 flights from DCA, 4 or 5 RJ flights from PIT, and two or three CRJ700/mainline jet flights from CLT.

How will this affect USAirways'' MUC and FRA operations? I realize that this is a win-win for both sides because LH can pick up pax arriving in MUC or FRA and take them to any LH destination, and vice-versa of course. But, will this cause US to reduce or eliminate their own German destinations?

----------------
On 5/15/2003 11:22:01 AM ITRADE wrote:

If US is going to become a member of *, wouldn''t it be somewhat beneficial for US to have some service to JFK???  Many * alliance members fly to JFK, and it would make a good connection point for flights to Heathrow, Vienna, Munich, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, and Frankfurt

Perhaps 5 or so DH8 flights from PHL, 3 or 4 DH8 flights from DCA, 4 or 5 RJ flights from PIT, and two or three CRJ700/mainline jet flights from CLT.

----------------​

Im looking out my window watching a 747 approach JFK right now.... it''s...... uhm..... "Polar".

Anyway, I think U/UA should provide some increased service to JFK. Obviously, it would be convenient for me.

Also, the DCA Post has an article quoating Weber of LH dissing IAD and praising PHL. It says that he''s going to talk to the Bush Administration about the problems with Customs/INS at IAD. Hmmm?

----------------
On 5/15/2003 11:22:01 AM ITRADE wrote:

If US is going to become a member of *, wouldn''t it be somewhat beneficial for US to have some service to JFK???  Many * alliance members fly to JFK, and it would make a good connection point for flights to Heathrow, Vienna, Munich, Sao Paulo, Tokyo, and Frankfurt

Perhaps 5 or so DH8 flights from PHL, 3 or 4 DH8 flights from DCA, 4 or 5 RJ flights from PIT, and two or three CRJ700/mainline jet flights from CLT.
----------------​
Why open a new station at a slot-controlled airport when US passengers already have online access to FRA and MUC via US hubs and have access to all of the other cities you mentioned (and more) with US'' code-share partner UA and other Star carriers via UA''s IAD hub. At IAD, you can fly nonstop to other Star hubs such as LHR/MUC/GRU/MEX on UA, FRA on both UA and LH, VIE on Austrian, NRT on ANA, CPH on SAS, MAN on BMI, and YVR on AC (seasonally). Plus you can get from IAD nonstop to two other major international cities that US doesn''t serve, BRU and EZE (both on UA).

Realistically, JFK doesn''t give you many more Star carriers than IAD does. While RG, SQ and Asiana (and incoming Star carrier LOT) serve JFK but not IAD, the RG and SQ nonstop destinations are also served nonstop from IAD. Moreover, SAS and BMI do not serve JFK, and MX, NZ and Thai don''t serve either airport. And an added cost-saving bonus is that no new domestic flights would need to be flown, since there are already US and/or UA nonstop flights from the three US hubs to IAD, and numerous UA/US code-share flights from other cities into IAD. Finally, DCA passengers would simply go to a different Washington area airport, saving a time-consuming (and possibly inter-terminal) connection at JFK.

Well I hope that "DAVE " andas his fabulous mgmt team LOLOLOLOL is going to upgrade our first class ervice as well as Envoy. Our transcon f/c service is HORRIBLE, an embarrassment. I flew AA from SFO to BOS...wow, i was shocked..upgraded to first (shocking as it is- an airline that upgrades employees) and the service was GREAT suffice to say. Linens, REAL GLASS, Coffee mugs, choice of three entress and an ice cream cart...Now on Allegheny..i mean Usair...we have no linens,plastic and stroyfoam..generic ..... horrible soup sadnwich or nasty lettuce called SALAD..and a single cookie for dessert.. So can somebody from dining and cabin or MARKETING tell me...how in Gods name do u call this comparable service...and oh BTW, took UA from BOS to SFO week before and similiar service..with..shocking...HOT TOWELS....what in hell is US doing??...we are worst, yes worst than HP.....im so embarrassed after 23 years to work for a second ,NO third rate airline. Hopefully we will up our standard to be part of STAR>>>Hey Marketing if ur reading this...DO SOMETHING..get ur heads outta the crystal palace...They must be high!!!