ONEWORLD paint job 777

Status
Not open for further replies.

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
American Airlines has rolled out a Boeing 777 aircraft sporting a special oneworld® Alliance exterior paint design - the first of four aircraft to receive such treatment in the coming months - as a way to increase awareness of the 10-member alliance.

The new livery is also part of the celebration of oneworld's 10th anniversary in 2009. By the end of the third quarter of this year, American plans to feature two Boeing 777s, one Boeing 767, and one Boeing 757 with the oneworld look.

The striking new livery features the oneworld name in large letters that are more than six feet tall, with American Airlines placed below the oneworld name. The oneworld logo appears on the side of the fuselage against American's familiar polished aluminum skin. The tail remains the same - the AA logo in blue and red, separated by the trademarked eagle symbol.

story here

AA%20plane%20with%20Oneworld.jpg

Dl is doing the same thing with SKYTEAM to mixed emotions.
From what i heard all members (SKYTEAM) are to paint one of theirs.(don't know about the ONEWORLD deal.)

I believe it went back in service this evening. Wish I would have been thinking I would have snapped some picture. The thing looked strange yet kind of cool. The pessimist in me said "that is our future". One co-worker commented it was "the Obama airline". I understand we are doing 4 airplanes this way.

I have to say, the AA polished silver looks the best of the ONEWORLD group. Everyone else has a white background. It really looks so much better than that star alliances paint job.

just watched the "oneworld" 777 take off from afw. sittin` on the porch drinking tea and off she went. I believe its 7ay

I watched this plane (7AY) transform from the std livery into it's new costume. First, it spent a week being stripped, think BIG STINK! Then it was polished, polished and polished again ( with a QA buyback). A stencil was applied, after which the plane painters had to selectively strip the wax, apply a single color decal, then another and then a few more decals.

When the plane was rolled onto the ramp, last Fri., the reflected glare was TOO MUCH!! The area behind the wing looks naked without the "Pepsi Stripes" (C.R. Smith quote). A few were heard to make the comment "Looks like a big SILVER BULLET" (think Medical Terminology).

'Nuff said!

I watched this plane (7AY) transform from the std livery into it's new costume. First, it spent a week being stripped, think BIG STINK! Then it was polished, polished and polished again ( with a QA buyback). A stencil was applied, after which the plane painters had to selectively strip the wax, apply a single color decal, then another and then a few more decals.

When the plane was rolled onto the ramp, last Fri., the reflected glare was TOO MUCH!! The area behind the wing looks naked without the "Pepsi Stripes" (C.R. Smith quote). A few were heard to make the comment "Looks like a big SILVER BULLET" (think Medical Terminology).

'Nuff said!
Just another excess we dont need!

'Nuff said!
<_< ------ Decals!? Decals!?----- What's the matter boys? No one know how to use a spray gun down there? :rolleyes: Or is it that the wind was blowing the wrong way to use one? :huh:---- But seriously, looks pretty good!-----At least from a distance!!! :lol:

<_< ------With the 787 coming into the fleet, we could be looking at the new AA paint (decal) scheme! :huh:

Background- This project has been on the 'BOARD' for at least six months! The biggest hurdle? The EPA/ Texas Environmental Permits for PAINT STRIPPING ($10,000) and HAZWaste/PAINT Disposal ($10.000). This was the cost just to remove the 'PEPSI STRIPES'.

When AFW was designed, an aircraft paint booth was INTENTIONALLY omitted! The cost for the permit to SPRAY POLYURETHANE PAINT was $250,000 annually (1985 legislated cost/ dollars). While the OTS plane was in this facility/area, inspections and non-routine/ FMR's could NOT be performed. (Is this why AA uses a roller to apply the Red/ White & Blue, in the dock?) Since then, the cost has increased expontentially, for the permits and even more to upgrade the facility when either the law changes or technology ratchets upward. Given the history that AA bean-counters and executives have exhibited in the past, AA will continually be found "NON COMPLIANT" by the regulatory agencies!!!

BTW: The 787 fusalage is 97% COMPOSITE! Has Marketing or M&E found a way to 'SHINE' the black composite material? I recall that composite has a different rate of expansion/ contraction than ALUMINUM, when temperature is the base line factor. I'll defer to those who are paid to solve such annoyances.

<_< -------Let me point out.------ That MCI had all the above environmental permits, in place, when AA bought us. Either AA didn't know it, or decided they were of no value, and walked away from them! Our "wet dock" was used to strip, and paint many aircraft, and was big enough to accommodate aircraft up to, and including, 757's. :huh: --------And no, the 787 composite can not be "Shined" and will have to be painted. In the past, we've found that that is one area that is critical to maintaining the structural integrity of composite materials! You have to keep it away from moisture. That's why you have to maintain a good paint job when dealing with composits!

I'll be on a LHR-ORD flight in a few weeks. What's the full tail number so I can see if I'll be on it. I realize my chances are slim since there's just 1 777 in this scheme, but you never know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts