Ont May See More Of B6

downline7

Jan 6, 2004
Yorktown Hts., NY
Visit site
Great article on jetBlue and our future in Southern California. JetBlue may expand from ONT to BOS, IAD, etc with additional flights to JFK. I love LGB, its just a shame that they're at capacity there and they cant expand.

http://www.pe.com/business/local/stories/P...nt27.a0db4.html

Ontario airport courts JetBlue
EXPANSION: The airline could add flights out of the Inland area's largest commercial airfield.

12:00 AM PDT on Thursday, May 27, 2004

By PAUL HERRERA / The Press-Enterprise

JetBlue Airways, the New York-based low-cost carrier, might bring more flights to Ontario International Airport in the next year.

Mark Thorpe, director of air-service marketing for Los Angeles World Airports, said representatives of LAWA and the airline met in New York last week to discuss new service possibilities for Ontario. Potential new routes include flights to Washington, D.C., Boston and New York City, Thorpe said.

Earlier this month, David Neeleman, chairman and chief executive of JetBlue, told a Los Angeles radio station that the airline's only feasible option for expanding service in the Los Angeles area is Ontario. Neeleman told a KNX-AM (1070) interviewer that Long Beach, home to six daily JetBlue flights, has reached its capacity, and the company isn't looking at Los Angeles International Airport as an option.

Last week, a JetBlue spokesman reached by telephone said the company has no immediate expansion plans at Ontario that it could announce. Attempts to reach JetBlue for comment on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

"The reality in Southern California is that if they don't expand to Ontario, they really can't expand at all," Thorpe said.

JetBlue operates one flight from Ontario - a daily, overnight, nonstop flight to New York that airport officials said flies full of passengers despite its midnight departure time.

Thorpe said the potential expansion might be tied to 15 new Airbus aircraft scheduled for delivery this year.

The carrier is in the midst of an aggressive expansion that will add nearly 200 new aircraft to its fleet in the next seven years. The order includes 65 Airbus 320 aircraft with options for up to 50 more by 2012.

Overall, the airline has confirmed orders and options for more than 300 aircraft in the next 12 years, according to JetBlue's 2003 annual report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Thorpe said discussions with JetBlue are in their initial stages.

"Their big concern is the airport costs," he said. "Ontario is a more expensive airport than Long Beach. They actually looked at Ontario before choosing Long Beach but decided to go with the lower costs."

JetBlue has consistently been among the shrewdest of the low-cost airlines in its efforts to keep costs down. In a letter to shareholders, JetBlue reported an industry-leading cost of 6.08 cents per seat per mile, a widely used industry measure.

After losing ground for more than two years following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Ontario International Airport has posted strong gains in the opening months of 2004. The airport added more than 65,000 passengers through the first three months of the year for a 4.4 percent gain. In March, Ontario posted an 8.3 percent gain over the same month in 2003, the largest monthly gain in passenger volume in almost six years.

downline7 said:
and who might those big boys be?
AA, UA, DL, CO, NW and SW (the big boys).

If my memory serves me correct B6 stopped flying LGB-ATL after only a few weeks. They stopped flying LGB-LAS after only a few weeks. I wonder why they stopped? Hmm, let's think about that. B6 also wants to get into ORD. Do you think they can take on the 2 major players in ORD? No way, no how!

LiveInAHotel said:
If my memory serves me correct B6 stopped flying LGB-ATL after only a few weeks. They stopped flying LGB-LAS after only a few weeks. I wonder why they stopped? Hmm, let's think about that.
Your memory does not serve you correctly my friend. Do a little research first. You can find out the facts right here on these boards if you care to take the time.

BTW B6 still flies between LGB and LAS.

Later

v1

LiveInAHotel said:
AA, UA, DL, CO, NW and SW (the big boys).

If my memory serves me correct B6 stopped flying LGB-ATL after only a few weeks. They stopped flying LGB-LAS after only a few weeks. I wonder why they stopped? Hmm, let's think about that. B6 also wants to get into ORD. Do you think they can take on the 2 major players in ORD? No way, no how!
Hotel

You're clearly new to the boards because various B6 knockers have raised these points before and they've been answered.

LGB-LAS was just a placeholder to maintain the slots until they had the aircraft they needed to put in the destinations and schedule they really wanted.

On LGB-ATL, DL threw everything including the kitchen sink at them, including lower fares and a massive increase in capacity. There are far too few management teams that know when it's the right time to take a step back. I applaud B6 for doing so. (AirTran threw in its Ryan charters too I believe.)

Go back a bit further and everyone thought AA would run B6 out of town in San Juan PR. That certainly hasn't happened, and B6 is expanding its Carribean presence. According to this week's PlaneBusiness, BOS is going exceptionally well for B6. I fully expect ORD to happen and a return to ATL sooner rather than later.

LiveInAHotel said:
They don't have enough balls to come and play with the big boys at LAX!
You might be surpised,

even WN for 30 years said only one fleet type and as noted last year by WN during a CC
....as a "repsonse" to B6 recent announcement of EMB 190s " we (swa) are now looking at a 2nd smaller addtion to our fleet type........

i find it pretty amazing (if not respectful) that
DL starts SONG as a response to B6
UAL starts TED as a response to B6
WN is looking into changing a 30year biz model because of B6

the airline (b6) is only 4 years old (ok 5 if you include the paperwork) and yet airlines Major and Discount alike seem to see a need to address B6. that speaks profoundly i think.

B6 was never supposed to go west of the Mississippi, Nor stray from a single fleet type biz model, so i dont think i would say never to LAX or MIA or ORD or DFW or PHX or insert your city here.

i'm just saying..................................

And, really, the important need is to go from a position of strength, not weakness. B6 needs to have all of their ducks in a row before going to LAX. I applaud the way they're running that business.

SW also came out they had decided to not to buy a second fleet type. Jetblue has everything going for it now, give it five years and it will be just like everyone else. They're not any smarter than anyone else.