Open Letter To Mr. Lakefield

Oct 31, 2003
Mr. Lakefield,
In your current message to employees, you said you want to play it straight, be honest and to the point. You also stated there are roughly 28,000 employees whose careers are on the line. Also that the company needs the unions who haven't come to the table to do so that deals can be cut.

For the sake of arguement lets say that the company is successful in getting all unions to the table, and in addition the company is successful in getting the cost savings for each group that it would like to get. Obviously this is a best case scenario for the company and the company would want the employees to believe this is a best case scenario for them. What will the employment numbers for each specific group look like under these circumstances ?

Now the first response would be if the unions don't come to the table and the company is forced into another bankruptcy, the worst case scenario would be the company has to eventually file a chapter 7 and 28000 jobs would be lost.

So lets go back to the company gets the packages they want outside of bankruptcy. There's going to be large amounts of layoffs again. In your own words, Let's be honest and to the point, how many employees does the company envision for each group Pilots, Flight attendants, Cleaners, Stock Clerks, Mechanics, Ramp Service, Customer service, Schedulers, Maintenance Controllers ?

How many of the great dedicated highly professional 28000 USAIRWAYS employees will be left ?

28000 Inquiring minds would like to know. This one mind will take a stab at it and say south of 20000

Okay, it's been a few days now, since this thread was started. It's known executives within the company monitor this board from time to time. Again, what will the employment numbers be for each group if the company succeeds in out of court concessionary packages from all unions ? The unions won't speak up due to confidentiality agreements, lets finally see some of this honesty that's talked about !!!

seeking the truth said:
lets finally see some of this honesty that's talked about !!!
Honesty from the group in Cyrstal Palace? Is that what is called an Oxymoron? I think I finally figured out how to tell when they're lying to us.....it's when they open their mouth and speak.

Seeking the truth:

Well written letter, but I doubt you will get a response. The company will hold furloughs over the head of each union to apply as much pressure as they can to get their desired contract changes.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Just one more point...

It would not surprise me if management uses their "ace in the hole" and announces more downsizing and furloughs to get labors attention during the next few weeks. They could also use Stephen Wolf's favorite labor relations tactic of the "carrot and stick" approach to obtain their desired employee cost cuts.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

seeking the truth said:
Okay, it's been a few days now, since this thread was started. It's known executives within the company monitor this board from time to time. Again, what will the employment numbers be for each group if the company succeeds in out of court concessionary packages from all unions ? The unions won't speak up due to confidentiality agreements, lets finally see some of this honesty that's talked about !!!
They company does not want us to know. The Unions do not want us to know.

What ever information is given to us will be in some sort of legal gargon that none of us will half understand, so that we will vote on "stuff" and if passes, we can feel obligated and guilty for our lives .....if we even survive. !!!!!!!!!!

The Unions will come back on us...and say WELL THIS IS WHAT THE MAJORITY VOTED ONE. DO NOT COMPLAIN. DO ####. YOU VOTED FOR THIS....SO LIVE WITH IT. UNFORTUNATLEY.... the majority do not even understand what the HELL they even voted on.,.... thanks to the company and the UNION.

The company and the Union both deceive us. Best beware and read everything that comes your way with BIFOCALS> :angry:

PS I thought the Union took a vote whether to open the contracts or not. AND answer was no.!!! Now we are going into negotiations?????????? Guess our Union didn't care what the membership wanted!!!!!HM<MMMMHMMMMHMMMM

Only Pittsburgh's survey vote was NO, even in the face of a BK threat. This was the only base with the majority numbers.

The rest of the bases said NO, however, the results shifted once BK was brought into the question.

NEGOTIATIONS DOES NOT ENSURE A YES VOTE. Again, each member is responsible TO vote.

Will they? That's a good question. For some members its easier to blame the union leadership instead of their own peers that they CAN"T control.

Local 40 Union meeting on August 16 at the HYATT. (MidAtlantic is from 4-6)

Come and bring your complaints in person.

you can rest assured there will be informational meetings regarding what is detailed in the contract modification you would be voting on.
but it may require you to decide what is more important that day...kids soccer or the PTA meeting...or your vote.

Yes, I will certainly pass this on. Given the F/A schedules, days off, reserves lines, I am sure you will have great numbers.!!!!!NOT Don't forget commuters, by the way.

This is going to turn out just like the last time. You know Pitbull and I know it.

Why are we even talking??????????

PS: Let us know what the numbers are, ok??? The company counts on this....it is a no win situation. They know it...the Union knows it...based at least on past experience. What is any different now. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesn't the Union just tell us what the numbers/figures are going to be and be done with it so many can finally move on????? That is fair...isn't it??? <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

By the way.... when, how, where and why was BK brought into account???? Was this just a MEC thing??? Sounds like a threat to me. I guess we have to read between the lines and follow what we can find via the media to find out. I never received a WORD about this via any email from the Union. Yes I am on the list.!!!!!

This was arbitrarily voted on by the MEC's alone. I bet it was based on the seniors maybe becoming reserve and the pension. NOT the reserve issues at all!!!!

You posted that Mid-Atlantic was from 4-6. What is the time for MAINLINE on August 16th at the HYatt??? Just wanted to know...so I could pass this on to my fellow flight attendants on mainline!!!!! <_<