Opinions Anyone?

neolynx

Jul 19, 2003
Well, we all know how hurting this industry is at the moment. Personally, I just graduated school with my commercial licence, multi-IFR, a class iv instructor rating and a HUGE student loan debt. Sound familiar to anyone?

Anyways, I've tried the instructing route (sitting at a desk for months on end without getting paid just waiting for students to show up) and I've realized I just can't afford to be doing this anymore. So I'm taking a big chance and I was wondering what people think of it. I've decided to put my aviation career on hold for a short while to make some money and get rid of that debt. I've decided to try Air Traffic Control through Nav Canada. I mean, pay is great from the first day on the job, its still involved with aviation, and your gaining a rather "unique" experience in the industry. Hopefully once the debts are paid and I have myself in a somewhat better financial situation I can return to flying somewhere up north when the industry is beginning to turn around.

Any opinions/comments would be appreciated. Ask yourself, is this something you would consider trying, or still rather slug it out in the industry longer?

Jay ;)

ATC is a good career, but hardly one you could do "in the meantime" while waiting for a flying job. Once you finish the training, just like you said, you're at a decent salary already. Unless you are superman it would be hard to go back to the type of job that is available to 200-hr pilots and the money they make.

Just wondering. Is ATC charging prospective controllers for training? I may have heard wrong on this. I agree with Dockjock. It is a good career, but taking time off to run resumes around the country won't happen. It would be very tough to leave a job like that for the uncertainty of this industry. I think flying would become a hobby, or perhaps a part-time instructing job would be possible. But that's just my own humble opinion. Good luck.

is the dnd an option for you?? :huh: ... if i had 20/20 vision back in '83, i'd have 20 in by now! :D

by the time you pay the bills, you'll be making so much money doing something else, you may just decide that you don't want to go back in debt just to fly again...

*devil's advocate*

Ya, thanks for the opinions guys.

Believe me, if I could have gone into the dnd a few years back I would have to. But unfortunatly that 20/20 vision requirement killed me to :angry: What bothers me even more, is that after you get accepted into the dnd as a pilot, you can have less than 20/20 vision and still be flying for them!!

Anyways about ATC, yes they do charge unfortunatly for training, however your room and board, books and supplies, and food is all covered. I think it comes to about $3500 for the IFR course (6 months), and less for both the VFR and FSS courses.

I agree it isn't the best route out there, and if I had any less of a debt, I'd probably stick with instructing. However I'm going to give it a try, and hope this way I'll be able to keep my ratings up, perhaps gain a float rating, and get rid of that awful student loan. I agree its going to be hard to walk away from a great salary like that, but hopefully ATC will stress me out so much I won't be able to stand being in there anymore! :D

Well one bonus of being involved with atc is that they will pay for you do see a lot of country. If you are up for it you could be anywhere from Norman Wells to Gander. They cover every expense. You will have a great chance to meet some interesting people. As far as I am concerned if I wasn't able to fly that is how I would go about it.
Good Luck
DW

Sometimes it seems like a better idea ATC..still involved with aviation without the -40 loading, tenting etc, but they must get envious some days when it's about a 1500 overcast ceiling and bright blue above. Get payed enough to fly for fun which is what most of us really want to do anyhow...can't be a bad idea

DND will be working on a campaign ad to try to recruit people. It was in the papers yesterday. They are caliming that not many applicants are coming forward and there is a current shortage at the moment, with alot of personel forced to leave their desks and start flyin again. They have recalled some 30 (not sure) semi-retired veteren pilots to start flying again. the shortage is there so its time to apply. They do require a university degree or a commitment that you will be getting one within 5 yrs of signing up...

back to the question: seems like lots of aviators are thinking the same thing when it comes to Nav-Canada. The testing sessions have been full with candidates wanting to be assessed for a career at Nav Canada. If you think this is a eay way out, think again. It takes alot of dedication and commitment plus you gotta enjoy what you will be doing or you won't last long. People wash out pretty quick from what i hear from an ATC buddy of mine. So Good luck, keep us posted on your outcome...

:up:

The DND is hurting for pilots. The req't is a degree or you could enter under CEOTP. The catch for CEOTP is having a degree (or working towards one) by the 9 year mark. You will owe 7 years after wings to a max of 9. This may have changed so talk to a recruiter. Another avenue you could look at, if you don't make the pilot selection and you have a degree, is to get your ATC training by joining the Forces.