Orlando Res Closing Jan 10!

gilbertguy

Senior
Aug 29, 2002
[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/26/2002 11:00:25 AM Lou wrote:

WE were just notified today. This is not a rumor. Dont really know anything else...yet. If anyone else does, please post it.

Good luck to all. This really stinks...
----------------
[/blockquote]
So Sorry! How many?
14.gif']

WE were just notified today. This is not a rumor. Dont really know anything else...yet. If anyone else does, please post it.
Good luck to all. This really stinks...

Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways to Furlough Approximately 2,500 Employees, Seeks Work Rule/Benefit Changes to Complete Restructuring
Tuesday November 26, 11:51 am ET
Restructuring Plan Still on Track, But More Cost Cuts Needed
Tampa Maintenance, Orlando Reservations Facilities to Be Closed

ARLINGTON, Va., Nov. 26 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways announced today that it will furlough approximately 2,500 more employees over the next three months and seek work rule and benefit changes to complete its cost- cutting initiatives and emerge from Chapter 11 protection in the first quarter of 2003. As part of management's commitment to preserve jobs where possible, the company has committed to maintain the mainline fleet at its current level of 279 aircraft -- 34 more than required under the Restructuring Agreements ratified this past summer -- provided the company's labor unions also agree to additional cost-cutting initiatives that have been proposed by the company for approval prior to the company's filing of its plan of reorganization in the Bankruptcy Court in December.
ADVERTISEMENT

Every mature network airline is struggling with how to adapt to fundamental changes in the airline business, where high costs will no longer be subsidized by passengers paying premium fares and low-cost airlines have become a major force in the industry. Cost-cutting and furloughs are an unfortunate and painful part of that process, and as difficult as these furlough decisions are, we must take these actions to ensure our successful restructuring and stay on plan to emerge from Chapter 11 protection in March 2003, said David Siegel, US Airways president and chief executive officer.

All work groups will be affected as a result of this action. Included in today's announcement are plans to close a heavy maintenance hangar in Tampa and a reservations call center in Orlando. Employees who hold seniority-based priority at those two facilities will be offered positions at other US Airways facilities in Pennsylvania and North Carolina where these functions will be consolidated. Further specific details about the number of employees and locations are not available at this time, but will be communicated to employees as they are finalized.

Siegel said that as part of its final push to reduce costs and, in recognition of reductions in fourth-quarter and 2003 industry-wide financial performance estimates, the company has begun the process of meeting with its labor union leadership to identify work rule changes and other cost-saving initiatives. While the airline has met its original target of cost savings as outlined to the Air Transportation Stabilization Board (ATSB) in conjunction with its application for a federal loan guarantee, industry-wide revenue shortfalls have forced the company to revise its business plan and further reduce operating costs.

Our airline has some of the most inefficient work rules in the industry that drive up our costs in ways we can no longer afford in this new, tough revenue environment. The good news is that changing some of these rules will make us much more competitive, without the need to further reduce pay rates. We are clearly focused on saving as many jobs as possible, and on preserving competitive pension and benefits compensation, but we can only do that if we have a viable business, said Siegel. We have an obligation to all of our stakeholders to use this Chapter 11 process to make permanent, structural improvements to our airline so that we are positioned for long-term success.

The Tampa maintenance hangar will be closed immediately, with work shifted to US Airways facilities at Charlotte and Pittsburgh. The Orlando reservations center will be closed on Jan. 10, 2003, with work moved to Pittsburgh and Winston-Salem, N.C., offices. Non-management employees at the Tampa and Orlando facilities who hold seniority will be allowed to transfer, should they so choose.

The airline intends to file its disclosure statement and plan of reorganization on or prior to Dec. 20, 2002, in time for the Bankruptcy Court to consider the adequacy of the disclosure statement at a scheduled Jan. 16, 2003, omnibus hearing, and hopes to complete the process of meeting all remaining conditions of the ATSB loan in the near future.

US Airways currently has approximately 35,000 active employees and provides service to 200 destinations in the U.S., Europe, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Since filing for Chapter 11 protection in August 2002, it has reduced its work force by almost 2,500. Prior to Sept. 11, 2001, the airline had 49,000 active employees.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/26/2002 1:34:11 PM ChairPrefRes wrote:

INT res I'm sure will be 24/7 still... Thats where prefered and Chp res are...
----------------
[/blockquote]
Not from what I am hearing the Bulletin stated reservations hours 5 am till Midnight maybe that was just in PIT and INT got a different one???????

New reservation hours 5am till midnight ??????? How will this work for those calls in the middle of the night?? for that cancelled flight at 5am ????????????????????? This will be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone who has been furloughed, either involuntarily or voluntarily tell me how long our insurance will be carried if involuntarily furloughed, and since we can retire from furlough, how long can we continue to purchase insurance from the company? ( i.e. COBRA )?? I didn't take the vol furlough from MCORO, thank goodness, at least now will be eligible for the severance pay then unemployment. I don't believe I will move again for this company.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/26/2002 12:41:46 PM RumorS wrote:

New reservation hours 5am till midnight ??????? How will this work for those calls in the middle of the night?? for that cancelled flight at 5am ????????????????????? This will be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----------------
[/blockquote]

I don't think that US is going to disenfranchise the 20 elites left on the West Coast, but I could be wrong.

When they furloughed us in Indy the severance was one week of pay for every year you had in, insurance for 90 days at the rate we had then (after that Cobra kicked in), then flight bene's were for one year but now three..

Best of luck to y'all and we'll pray for you and your families.

Sorry INT the hours are correct.... 5 am till midnight for reservations system wide!!!! they have opened up 130 slots between PIT and INT for those in MCO that want to move IN the DEAD of Winter!!!! My guess is that they will get about 5 people TOPS!!!! Welcome to the Titanic!!!!

My heart felt sympathies to all of those affected by this. I especially feel for my co-workers from Indy Res that took
the option to move to MCO to stay with the company. There is a life after US Airways, sometimes a better one. Speaking from experience, enjoy the time with your families and take some time off from work all together. I hope that some of you have taken to heart the advice and opinions given by those of us who have been furloughed for awhile, we were just being honest and trying give you advice for what turned out to be the inevitable. Take advantadge of any training offered through any sources and unemployment. It really truly helps you cope with all the changes thru bettering yourself.

No but it will affect the thousands on the east coast when we have weather and all the flights at 5 am are canceled. You know the automated system can only do so much!!! Get ready to stand in line at the ATO to be protected!!!!!

Stunned is all I can say....but not surprised. This is the Labor friendly Management that we have been forced fed since Dave came aboard. 2 Days before turkey day and a month before Christmas. Guess you can say we in MCO have gotten our bonus early this year. Have not been in yet which will be later on this afternoon. Wonder who will be down in the office to break the news, and wonder if we will also be told after hearing the news that we need now to take a moment and gather our thoughts and then go back to the phones and assist our pax (shades of what SANres was told when they got the news). Guess the choice is clear cut for me. I can either transfer to INT or PIT if the company decides there are openings there. No offense to my fellow res agts in this cities not my choice of cities to live in. Or I can take my 15weeks of furlough unless the company decides to try and screw us out of that and go fishing elsewhere. Betcha to after all the dust has settled our labor friendly management on the local level will be circling around like hawks making sure we all go above and beyond the call of duty. But all in all since the last round of layoffs that take affect in DEC my attitude is I do not care what happens. The one thing that is forsure in whatever I decide to do I will not take out my frustration on the passenger. Refuse to do that...Gee whiz what a nice holiday surprise...not!!!!

this is really sad....many people have family, friends, ect...who could be in car accidents, have strokes or even pass away in the middle of the night....first thing they do is call the airlines, to book the first flight out, at a time like that they really don't worry about cost, they just remember the last airline they had flown, which could have been usairways...if no one is there to answer the phones, then we just lost that customer to someone else....