Other Airlines Show No Interest In Filling A Void

So when can we expect all of this public posturing to stop and see either a deal signed or both parties walking away?

I don't think that any airline is going to state publicly that they ar going to move in if U moves out of PIT. That would only tip your hand to any one else who might think about moving in. I cannot say that I have followed this situation extremely close, but I would say that if the hub breaks even or makes money for U that keep PIT. If it loses money then it needs to go. Sometimes it is better off to get out while you have a decision then to have a decision made for you. Just my 2 cents.....

coolflyingfool said:
I don't think that any airline is going to state publicly that they ar going to move in if U moves out of PIT. That would only tip your hand to any one else who might think about moving in. I cannot say that I have followed this situation extremely close, but I would say that if the hub breaks even or makes money for U that keep PIT. If it loses money then it needs to go. Sometimes it is better off to get out while you have a decision then to have a decision made for you. Just my 2 cents.....
Oh, come now. Airlines were chomping at the bit to pick up various hub pieces when US was in the midst of its pre-Chapter 11 death throes.

NW was looking at PHL. AA wanted DCA and/or LGA. Others were looking at CLT.

Interestingly, not one was really interested in PIT....Kinda says something, don't it?

So nobody brings in a hub. Unlike the media, who thinks that point to point service to everywhere is the cat's own ass, it's not tough to realize that you will get increased frequencies to everyone else's hubs and markets that can sustain p-t-p. Many, many markets live like this on a regular basis and survive.

I think it's a given that nobody else would want to hub PIT. The domestic system (the cartel's airlines, anyway) is overhubbed to begin with.

All that having been said, US has still not explained how they plan on running several hundred more RJs thru places like PHL. Operationally, it will be a disaster. Given that the current crop of cronies in the executive suite can't operate a toaster, baggage belt, or even a transatlantic route structure (see last week's FRA-PHL fun), I find it unlikely that they'll be able to pull this off.

Now, I'm curious--I did not know that US had appointed a "director of FUD operations" on the line as opposed to the executive suite.

I, for one, can't understand why US is not blending a little more point-to-point into the East Coast mix. The LCCs are offering more and more destinations, and US' customer service is taking a slide towards what they offer, if that good. How can US attract or retain a customer base as this happens? I fly mostly BOS/FL, and transcons...it's making more and more sense to me to shift my flying to someone that can get me south quickly and conveniently, and give decent service transcon. I was just reading an article somewhere that said 70% of United States airline revenue was in point-to-point markets.

Well, I can admit when I am wrong. SWA has stated just yesterday that they are looking at PIT. Damn, they must be trying to make me look bad. Usually I can do it on my own though. D'OH :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

O/D traffic has decreased substantially in PIT because the pricing of the ticket to go anywhere out of PIT is rediculously high. If anothr carrier comes in to PIT, like a SW, or JetBlue, or both, the traffic out of PIT would pickup if the ticket price was competitive and simple. Folks want "non stop" service and would rather take a carrier that provides that. And I don't believe customers perfer Kiosks machines over human contact. I am not convinced of this at all. Personally, I would rather choose service from a business that I can speak to a human being than a machine. When I get a voice response when dialing any business...i just hit "0". And I always use a bank teller (drive through) for everything. I don't even own a mac card, and never did.

Hopefully, since I am on the inside of U, PA Delegation will ensure in their proposal mainline hub status with minimum mainline flights out of Pittsburgh. I have a feeling that proposal will say just that if U wants that "big dollar" from the tax payers of PA ... ;)

Latest posts