Out Of Phl

emad25

Dec 28, 2004
Hi Folks:
I really don't want to get involved in the politics of the whole airline industry debacle. There is plenty of blame to go around and I'm a staunch believer that blame games don't solve crises.
Anyway...what I'm interested in hearing about is the chances of me, my wife and our two bags making it out of PHL together when we fly out in two weeks?
Any thoughts?

Thanks

And good luck! to those who plan to stay and fight and help the airline survive; to those who have left or may lose their jobs and to those undecideds, also.

emad25 said:
Hi Folks:
I really don't want to get involved in the politics of the whole airline industry debacle. There is plenty of blame to go around and I'm a staunch believer that blame games don't solve crises.
Anyway...what I'm interested in hearing about is the chances of me, my wife and our two bags making it out of PHL together when we fly out in two weeks?
Any thoughts?

Thanks

And good luck! to those who plan to stay and fight and help the airline survive; to those who have left or may lose their jobs and to those undecideds, also.
[post="234914"][/post]​

emad25,

First, where are you going and for how long? Business or leisure?
As a veteran f/a, I highly recommend you do the following. Buy both of you an 18-20" rollerboard. They are a good size and fit longways in the airbus. Carry a SMALL tote to put your passport, camera, snacks, and walkman. This way you will have minimal bags. If going on a leisure trip, wear the one dressier outfit and shoes so it will already be with you...actually ON you. Places like Sharper Image have the plastic bags that suck out the air, compressing your clothes for more room. They work if you want to take alot more than what your bag will hold. If not taking alot, roll your clothes. Don't take too much. Most people overpack and many hotels now have washers and dryers. Do you need 5 pairs of shorts for 5 days? Go simple. There's a Gap almost everywhere in the world , so there is a place to go just in case.

Try to get seats in the back of the plane. They usually board first. Just don't be a bin hog. :lol: I hope I helped. Good luck to you and thanks for flying with us.

emad25,

Yes..do what firstamendment said..roll those clothes in those rollerboards like you are in the army and you will not be home in awhile so you got to pack it all in there tight as possible..everyone is aloud 2 carry ons..and yes..if you have to..do not check anything!!! Take a rollerboard per person..make sure it is the propersize that you will not have to check it at the gate. Take a small tote for your 2nd carry on..and put all the personal small stuff in it..ex..toiletry's..make-up(women) extra undergarments...snacks...ect...you can put the rollerboard in the overhead and the other small bag under the seat. If the rollerboard is to wide it may not fit...You might want to check what type of a/c you will be on..then decide what size rollerboard..some a/c have smaller overheads. ;)

Great idea, encourage people to bring on more stuff.

As if it didn't take long enough to board a flight ... let's make it worse!

The correct advice would be to fly another airline, one that doesn't lose your luggage.

You can always count on one useless reply from a guy looking to spread his misery around. Thanks for flying U. Except for a few bad apples, which seem to congregate on this site, you will find a lot of great people working at USAirways, as well as the regional carriers. Have a great trip!

As a weekly PAX, NOT checking luggage is excellent advice even if flying somewhere else, like ATLANTA or CHICAGO, which are far better than Philadelphia (and if you believe that one, I have some dirty underwear that American lost in Chicago somewhere that you can have if I ever get them.) :eek:

No, not checking luggage makes it easier to change flights, change airlines, give up your seat, change tickets, get home early...etc, etc etc :up:

boeingdriver213 said:
You can always count on one useless reply from a guy looking to spread his misery around. Thanks for flying U. Except for a few bad apples, which seem to congregate on this site, you will find a lot of great people working at USAirways, as well as the regional carriers. Have a great trip!
[post="234936"][/post]​

I don't work for US Airways. Up until now I was rooting for you guys, but you really let me down last weekend.

US Airways blamed a two hour delay on a RDU-PIT flight on ATC. This flight arrived from PIT, so it went PIT-RDU-PIT. Two hours for ATC? When, yesterday? Gimme a break.

Then, as a result of the delay, I missed my connecting flight (last flight of the day). Did I get a hotel room? No, of course not, since it's "ATC". Did I get a distressed passenger voucher? No! There was no one at the ticket counter, no one anywhere in the airport at 11 PM to help any of the stranded passengers.

I had the choice of paying rack rate for a hotel room or sleep on the floor. I chose to sleep on the floor in the PIT baggage claim.

To add insult to injury, US Airways lost my luggage. I didn't fly anywhere near PHL! What is going on? I did get the bag in the afternoon the next day.

US Airways used to do such a good job taking care of passengers, in both normal and irregular operations, that I was willing to overlook the management mishaps, shrinking network, dirty planes, etc.

Now, I'm afraid US is just another crummy legacy carrier on its way into the history books. Sorry. :(

Sorry about your troubles...lots of us still trying to do a good job with the tools given to us...unfortunately, as a worker....every time I open my paycheck, I wish I had the option to 'overlook the management mishaps'. We are all feeling the pain.

JS said:
I don't work for US Airways. Up until now I was rooting for you guys, but you really let me down last weekend.

US Airways blamed a two hour delay on a RDU-PIT flight on ATC. This flight arrived from PIT, so it went PIT-RDU-PIT. Two hours for ATC? When, yesterday? Gimme a break.

Then, as a result of the delay, I missed my connecting flight (last flight of the day). Did I get a hotel room? No, of course not, since it's "ATC". Did I get a distressed passenger voucher? No! There was no one at the ticket counter, no one anywhere in the airport at 11 PM to help any of the stranded passengers.

I had the choice of paying rack rate for a hotel room or sleep on the floor. I chose to sleep on the floor in the PIT baggage claim.

To add insult to injury, US Airways lost my luggage. I didn't fly anywhere near PHL! What is going on? I did get the bag in the afternoon the next day.

US Airways used to do such a good job taking care of passengers, in both normal and irregular operations, that I was willing to overlook the management mishaps, shrinking network, dirty planes, etc.

Now, I'm afraid US is just another crummy legacy carrier on its way into the history books. Sorry. :(
[post="234983"][/post]​

While I really hate what happened to you, please stay on topic. This topic is about suggestions concerning carry on bags. My parents travel very frequently and I encouraged them to get a small rollerboard that actually would fit under the seat in front of them. I suggested the same for the folks on this thread. And hey, perhaps it will work for you. :)

So, basically all these posters have answered your questions, in a round-about sort of way mind you. They are saying NO do not check your bags. Not one of these posters attempted to assure you that yes, they have faith in this company, and PHL is safe. Instead, they are giving you all sorts of recommendations on how to pack your luggage and bring it on board (which I'm sure you already know). One even had so little confidence that they recommended Fed EX!. Again, it doesn't bode well for this company.

No I do NOT have confidence in PHL. CLT, yes..PIT, yes...but PHL, NO!! Until either the company or the feds get a hold on the problem, I cannot with good concious recommend checking bags. What do you want me to do, lie?

No, of course I do not want you to lie, but why arn't the offenders relieved of their position. Afterall, that is their job, to transfer bags. If they aren't doing it why are they there? Where are the supervisors? It is unbelievable to me that you are basicallyl assuring us that the problem has not been corrected. And people think this company can survive????

firstamendment said:
While I really hate what happened to you, please stay on topic. This topic is about suggestions concerning carry on bags. My parents travel very frequently and I encouraged them to get a small rollerboard that actually would fit under the seat in front of them. I suggested the same for the folks on this thread. And hey, perhaps it will work for you. :)
[post="234992"][/post]​

Actually, my wheeled suitcase is of legal size to be a carry-on, but I cannot carry it on because that would put me one item over the limit. I carry on a backpack and a laptop.

JS said:
Actually, my wheeled suitcase is of legal size to be a carry-on, but I cannot carry it on because that would put me one item over the limit. I carry on a backpack and a laptop.
[post="235030"][/post]​

JS
Put the laptop in the backpack. People do it all the time. BTW, I actually find that most flts are ok with bags. The worst are the biz routes like PHL-BOS where so many have an othernight but pack enough for a 12 day cruise. If people just keeep it simple they can get items on. But I will concede, stay away from PHL.

Latest posts