OUT OF SENIORITY

zflygrl

Advanced
Oct 7, 2005
There comes a time when a person must stand up for the rights of the person they have decided to spend their life with.... I am the wife of a AWA/Us Airways Group/ LCC pilot and I have had it with ALPA aka ALPO. My hubby was one of the pilots who was furloughed (OUT OF SENIORITY) from AWA when they had ONE of their many rough periods. Now ALPA wants to take that time from him...which will effect his seniority and/or longevity. As a wife and being someone who has been in the airline industry for MANY years....I now must say STOP!!!! Slow down...enough is enough....the Irish in me is now overflowing. ALPA 62 and it's MEC had better take a few steps backwards and think about this. At the same time my guy was put out to pasture ...(at the time he was on the 737) junior pilots who where on the dash stayed on line. So I have decided to "Stand by my man" .... and get as many wives together as I can to fight this outrageous display of Union one-sided treachery. Contract 95 said that their longevity and/or seniority would not be touched now...the story is different... And nearly all those pilots that have filed grievances...have had them denied. So ALPA I will go to the newspaper and have a talk to them and if needed I shall contact the Gov and all Senators of Arizona. If need be I shall stand outside the ALPA office with a sign and ask for answers. If my guy has to lose time so do the junior pilots who stayed. The fight has just begun......I feel if this happens ALPA will have broken their contract with my husband...when you pay your dues....it is to protect your future (job)...seniority and longevity. The problem with the unions today...is that they have forgotten what their purpose is.....the people at the top have become nothing more then politicians in union clothes.

Well I have had my say and I thank you for this time. :cop:

I agree with you FlyGrl, I had the same thing happen to me on the ramp. It will never end until all of these fcekud up seniority systems that we have are corrected. That is one of the main problems that is going on in philly. Straighten out the seniority lists to DATE OF HIRE and a lot of the problems will be resolved. But since the unions only give a damn about dues, there is no one in the unions with balls enough to stand up and get it straightened out once and for all. The company wants a straight hire date system because it's easier to do payroll, overtime, vacation, schedule bidding, and the like. The unions don't want it because they know it is a way to keep the troops arguing amongst ourselves, taking the heat off of the unions and their poor representation.

zflygrl said:
Good luck!
We can all see what good examples our congress is setting for us.

Abramoff pleaded guilty Tuesday to three federal charges as part of an agreement with prosecutors requiring him to cooperate in a broad corruption investigation into members of Congress.

good luck zflygirl..........hopefully someone will listem to you. Contacting the media is not a bad idea if you can find someone who isn't sucking up to the unions or the company. Just be glad you and your husband are not retired or else you would have no clout.

It's probably the AWA ALPA that wants to take this seniority, not the Eastern division. My guess is that the AWA guys don't want to give any credit to the old UAIR guys that have been furloughed for years (many for MOST of the time since their hire date in 1989). Besides, complaining doesn't do any good, just makes you look like a whiner. Fair is in the eye of the beholder, or, in this case, the seniority holder. Before you start screeming I'd examine the motives. Could be they are trying to help, not hurt, you.

Just wondering Zfly,
How was your husband furloughed out of seniority? What was he flying, couldn't he down bid? Need more info on your part.

No union or group can decide how seniority integration will be handled. They can only negotiate with the new US Airways company. As unpopular as this may sound I believe Doug Parker will not agree to anything but a fair and equitable merging of all groups. He is a formitable negotiator to protect the companies position in regards to wages and work scope, as it is his job, but on issues that don't affect the companies business position he has always been fair and honerable.

Let US all remain employed. I wish Good health for all of US and our families.

Wrong there TIA.

Seniority intergration is a union issue, the company has no say in the matter. For example the IAM and AFA both follow the dovetail policy.

Even Dougie said he cant do anything about it.

There comes a time when a person must stand up for the rights of the person they have decided to spend their life with.... I am the wife of a AWA/Us Airways Group/ LCC pilot and I have had it with ALPA aka ALPO. My hubby was one of the pilots who was furloughed (OUT OF SENIORITY) from AWA when they had ONE of their many rough periods. Now ALPA wants to take that time from him...which will effect his seniority and/or longevity. As a wife and being someone who has been in the airline industry for MANY years....I now must say STOP!!!! Slow down...enough is enough....the Irish in me is now overflowing. ALPA 62 and it's MEC had better take a few steps backwards and think about this. At the same time my guy was put out to pasture ...(at the time he was on the 737) junior pilots who where on the dash stayed on line. So I have decided to "Stand by my man" .... and get as many wives together as I can to fight this outrageous display of Union one-sided treachery. Contract 95 said that their longevity and/or seniority would not be touched now...the story is different... And nearly all those pilots that have filed grievances...have had them denied. So ALPA I will go to the newspaper and have a talk to them and if needed I shall contact the Gov and all Senators of Arizona. If need be I shall stand outside the ALPA office with a sign and ask for answers. If my guy has to lose time so do the junior pilots who stayed. The fight has just begun......I feel if this happens ALPA will have broken their contract with my husband...when you pay your dues....it is to protect your future (job)...seniority and longevity. The problem with the unions today...is that they have forgotten what their purpose is.....the people at the top have become nothing more then politicians in union clothes.

Well I have had my say and I thank you for this time. :cop:

Just a question, what downturn do you refer to 9/11, or 1991 bankrupcty filing, or another? meaning was his hire date post bankrupcty but pre 9/11 or pre bankrupcty? isn't this similar in a way to the Usair people who slipped in seniority when PSA was added, then Piedmont, then the Trump shuttle (where EAL Doh's were used?) and no i did not forget the mohawk/allegheny people just trying to use more recent examples. Thus i would totally agree seniority is very important and there is but one date (the day you walked thru the door ... yes i know PI used a date post trainning completion) bearing in mind that 1988 won't even keep a job so i'm with you on every day counts EVERY DAY.

:)

No union or group can decide how seniority integration will be handled. They can only negotiate with the new US Airways company. As unpopular as this may sound I believe Doug Parker will not agree to anything but a fair and equitable merging of all groups. He is a formitable negotiator to protect the companies position in regards to wages and work scope, as it is his job, but on issues that don't affect the companies business position he has always been fair and honerable.

The CWA CBA is DOH.

Wrong there TIA.

Seniority intergration is a union issue, the company has no say in the matter. For example the IAM and AFA both follow the dovetail policy.

Even Dougie said he cant do anything about it.

In merger by aquisition you are correct. The rules favor the employees of the purchasing company.
But this is not the case at US Airways LCC neither of the companies we worked for exist anymore. The newly formed US Airways LCC has every right and obligation to ensure a fair and equitable seniority integration as we all start out as day one employees.

Integration is a union issue, the company cannot interfere in internal union matters.

The company has no say in the matter.

Parker stated at the PHL roadshow senority will be decided by the unions and he was not getting involved.

Latest posts