Pack Up The Truck Were Moving To Tempe!

USAirUnited

Advanced
Dec 17, 2002
Does anyone have any information on the time line for the following departments moving to Tempe?

PIT - RIDC (excluding operations center)
PIT - Technical Records
PIT - Baggage Services

INT - Consumer Affairs
INT - Revenue Accounting

CLT - Training centers for FA and Pilots

CCY - Various Departments too many to list.

Also how do they plan to intergrate those on MSP (management salary plan)? Are they going to make them reinterview for the jobs?

If anyone needs help or information on the Phoenix area don't hesistate to ask there will be plenty of folks willing to help ya out. If you like bass fishin it's is really good out here :up:

Just a thought, but I wouldn't expect the CLT training center to close any time soon - too many F/A's and pilots based on the east coast plus I don't know if the HP PHX facility could handle all the training load.

Jim

CCY is becoming a ghost town. DC/VA/MD market is good and people are finding jobs left and right. 3 of my friends have left already. I only know one person who is actively planning on moving to Tempe. I'm sure there are more, but not many.

A lot of people on here think CCY is full of nothing but losers, but there are actually a lot of talented managers, mid level management, etc etc walking out the door. I'm sure someone else will step up to fill the void, but it's still sad to watch everyone go.

Having said that, no regrets, lots of people have sacrificed their job to save the company, guess it's our turn now.

I think it will be fun to watch how long the honeymoon period will be with Tempe....

According to America West ALPA MEC chairman JR Baker in a recent code-a-phone message the America West MEC expects US Airways' operating certificate to survive.

In regard to the CLT Training Center for Pilots, F/A's, & CSA's, I understand the Doug Parker wants all management functions in Tempe. US Airways vice president of flight operations Ed Bular will work in Tempe and it's unclear which Training Center will survive. The Tempe training center is apparently 2 years old and 10 simulator bays, which is the same number of bays as CLT.

Bular told Chief Pilots, Base Manager, Base Administrators, & Training Department personnel it's unclear if OCC will move.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

But there is no 767 or A330 simulator in Tempe. And are the cockpits the same instrumentation and cockpit configuration the same HP's fleet as well as US' fleet?

Plus HP's Airbii have IAE engines not GE-CFM, does that affect the training and simulators?

BoeingBoy said:
Just a thought, but I wouldn't expect the CLT training center to close any time soon - too many F/A's and pilots based on the east coast plus I don't know if the HP PHX facility could handle all the training load.

Jim
[post="294811"][/post]​
No it cannot handle the US training load. It some times has space issues with just us! I remember my recurrent training this year, we were trying to do drills, and they had a new-hire class in the same lab and it was distracting.

The class rooms are fairly large, and some of the labs are large, but they have had to double up the labs. They lost one lab to the Computer based training room (quarterly F/A recurrent testing), and the EOW training took up another lab.

700UW said:
But there is no 767 or A330 simulator in Tempe. And are the cockpits the same instrumentation and cockpit configuration the same HP's fleet as well as US' fleet?

Plus HP's Airbii have IAE engines not GE-CFM, does that affect the training and simulators?
[post="294917"][/post]​

Not to split hairs but there isn't a 767 simulator in CLT either.

MTNMAN

Before the massive reduction the CLT training center couldn't even handle US's training load, so the PIT facilities were open as well. Initial F/A training was in Carnot as well as recurrent for half of the bases.

Carnot was kind of cheesy compared to the sleek CLT center. Apparently the urinals were low to the ground because it was a grade school... The mock-ups were in the school gym on the stage, and the 767 door was in the backyard in a trailer. Fun memories. What is Carnot now anyway?

Isn't PSA moving to CLT or is that a rumour? Maybe they could take over that building as thier headquarters and training facility.

So where is the 767 sim?

Thought the company had moved all simulators to CLT.

Two things:

Does HP's OCC compare in size to the existing US facility? I can't see them keeping that in PIT with everything else in PHX--unless the PIT operation has the existing room for both.

I'd imagine, OTOH, that the training stuff might stay in CLT until the merged entity either falls apart or has some degree of financial success--it can't be cheap to expand a building to hold another 2 or 3 sims plus whatever other space would be needed for training and the merged entity will not exactly be in a position to burn capital like crazy.

ClueByFour said:
Two things:

Does HP's OCC compare in size to the existing US facility?  I can't see them keeping that in PIT with everything else in PHX--unless the PIT operation has the existing room for both.

I'd imagine, OTOH, that the training stuff might stay in CLT until the merged entity either falls apart or has some degree of financial success--it can't be cheap to expand a building to hold another 2 or 3 sims plus whatever other space would be needed for training and the merged entity will not exactly be in a position to burn capital like crazy.
[post="294938"][/post]​
I've never seen PIT's OCC, but I would imagine it is larger than the SOC in PHX. However, HP's SOC moved into a brand new buidling 3 years ago, so it is probably a much more modern facility.

If the SOC is kept in PHX, there is a lot of reconfiguration to do. We have a maximm of 10 dispatchers working, and desk space for only 4 more. We have 2 "planning units", which consist of a Planning Unit Coordinator, aircraft router, crew coordinator, and customer service manager. These "pods" are on either side of the room; along the far walls of each side are 1 pilot scheduler & 1 infligth scheduler. The pods are divded as: "A" side controls 737 & 320; "B" side controls 757 & 319. (We used to do Airbus & Boeing, but the 320/319 fleet size is considerably larger than the 757/737 fleet size. The new division distributes the number of aircraft much more equally). WE also have an SOC manager and an ATC coordinator; as well as MOC manager and the maintenance controllers.

There is a lot of room to expand in the current SOC-there is a lot of wasted desk space and floor space. In addtion, I understand we own an empty lot right next door, so there is room to grow (we want the company to knock out the wall and put some windows in there!!)

I believe trainig centers will be maintained in both CLT & PHX. PHX sim bays are all full--and besides, it would be a waste to fly east coast pilot out to PHX for training. And moving sims (particularly the A330) would be a huge expense.

One other question: I have heard that for the last couple of years, US has been planning on using empty space in their training center for a new OCC? Is that true? If so, it's possible SOC could relocate to CLT. Everyone in PHX thinks it will either be in PHX or CLT. Your thoughts??

Either way, we will run 2 separtate SOC's until the certificates are merged. But, I hope that there will be a transition period where both SOC's work in the same building, but controlling their own flights. That will give everyone a chance to get to know one another first!

Make us one big happy family :D

It is my understanding from the US Airways Flight Training Department that US Airways conducts its A320 training with two simulators and America West four simulators.

In the late 90s when the CLT Flight Training Center was expanded the City of Charlotte funded the project.

It does not matter where B767 or B757 simulator is located. In fact, it is likely that either the US Airways or America West B767/B757 simulator will be sold. One simulator could handle the combined training and there would be an economy of scale and liquidity boost.

It does not matter where the simulator is located. For example, when I received my B767 and B757 Type Rating we had US Airways instructors and trained in MSP at NW's NATCO facility.

Ed Bular said last week that he believes it's a 50-50 chance that OCC and the CLT Training Center will move to Tempe. I understand a big driving factor is the Operating Certificate and FAA liaison with the Principal Operating Inspector) POI, which requires Operations, Safety, and/or Maintenance to be co-located (two out of three departments.

In addition, Bular said that Doug Parker wants all headquarter functions to be located in Tempe, if possible. That includes those facilities like OCC, Consumer Affairs, CCY, Maintenance, and CLT facilites. However, it is unclear at this point if that will occur with decisions yet to be made.

For operations and flight operations, both Al Crellin and Ed Bular are in the process of moving to Tempe.

Regards

USA320Pilot

Latest posts