Parker can merge but he lacks integration skills

snapthis

Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Swelbar understands how Parker and Kirby operate.

Source: Swelbar blog

« US AIRWAYS AND AMERICAN AND THE ELEPHANTS IN THE ROOM »
I want to talk about the elephant in the room.

Actually, it’s a whole herd of elephants in pink tutus with “Seniority Integration” and “Unintended Consequences” emblazoned in neon lettering across their posteriors. Yet, most media seem too distracted by sexy headlines and hoped for revenue synergy calculations an alleged US Airways – American Airlines tie-up might bring to even notice the elephants.

Maybe they’re right. The customer doesn’t care what uniform the pilot flying the plane wears or what that pilot’s career prospects look like. They just want that pilot to safely get them to where they’re going.

US Airways is a perfect example that ignoring the elephant can work with few external (i.e. passenger) repercussions: it hasn’t fully integrated pilots or flight attendants since merging with America West in 2005. After nearly seven years of flying separate-and-not-nearly-equal crews on two coasts, maybe US thinks the elephant is just a mouse. Heck, company president Scott Kirby said taking over American Airlines would actually solve US’s problem:

"It's ironic but the solution to that issue at US Airways I think it's probably because we're able to get this deal done. The area that people focus on the most is USAPA, our pilots' union. In this case there is a huge benefit for our pilots in getting the deal done.”

Kirby’s comments would also seem to hold true for flight attendants. He even pointed out merging work groups would be subject to the McCaskill-Bond legislation… created in part, by American’s 2001 takeover of TWA and the short-end of the deal those employees received.

And that’s where the elephants start trumpeting.

I’ll concede again that seniority integration doesn’t mean anything to the average customer. But it means everything to airline employees and, because of the very McCaskill-Bond law Kirby mentioned, even to those employees who don’t belong to a union. They, too, will be subject to the law and the vagaries of seniority integration.

If the Allied Pilots Association really believes seniority integration is, as its spokesperson Tom Hoban labeled it, a “faux concern,” then it’s ignoring its own recent past. If I am an APA pilot and my union is calling seniority integration a faux concern, well I would be concerned.

If the Association of Professional Flight Attendants thinks it will join hands with US and its senior members will either cash out or staple US’s two groups to the bottom of the seniority list – like the APFA did to the TWA flight attendants – its remaining members will have plenty of time to regret that decision when they’re flying Richmond, VA to Greenville, SC via Charlotte for the third time that day.

REAPING WHAT THEY SOWED

The very group APFA leaders either think they will harmoniously bond with or take precedence over (and I’m betting it’s the latter more than the former) is the Association of Flight Attendants. The AFA represents two distinct groups at US – the flight attendants from the “old” US Airways and former America West FAs – which have never worked under a joint contract. Kirby’s mention of McCaskill-Bond is especially pertinent in this potential combination of three different flight attendant groups, each with its own pay rates, work rules and benefits.

Why? Well, this is what the AFA says about McCaskill-Bond:

“In 2001, American Airlines purchased TWA. The TWA flight attendants, represented at the time by the lAM, were stapled to the bottom of the American Airline's flight attendant seniority list. The AA flight attendants are represented by the APFA. This was grossly unfair to the former TWA flight attendants. The TWA flight attendants fought back. They were unable to right the wrong that had been done to them. But they were able to, with the help of Congress, ensure that it will not happen again.”

Doesn’t sound like the AFA is ready to take a jump-seat to anyone, especially not a group that was “grossly unfair” to other flight attendants. No matter what promises US’s Doug Parker and Scott Kirby have made to the APFA and president Laura Glading. US flight attendants are going to have a say about what part of the pie they get. It’s also important to remember neither AFA group has approved a new contract with US – in fact, they overwhelmingly rejected the last tentative agreement two months ago.

Currently, the APFA has, in total, the best pay, benefits and work rules in the industry. (A decision on American’s 1113 motion in U.S. bankruptcy court could change that). US Airways are among the lowest compensated. Doug Parker will probably promise his own flight attendants they’ll move up to APFA pay, and with the reported “early out” incentive offered as part of the US-APFA deal (about 80 percent of APFA’s members would qualify under the union’s stated parameters including President Glading), would quickly dominate the seniority lists.

That’s probably not going to be enough for the US flight attendants. They’ll likely – and, perhaps, justly – demand the same early outs, guaranteed seniority and other incentives. McCaskill-Bond calls for arbitration, though US Airways says it is “hoping” for a negotiated settlement. This is the same group hasn’t been able to negotiate contracts with any of its current flight groups in seven years, yet “hopes” for agreements with three different unions all clamoring for top billing?

That doesn’t even take into consideration the lawsuits that will be generated when the remaining APFA members realize they’ve been sold out or either of the AFA groups feel they’ve been shorted.

Speaking of lawsuits, the APA knows a bit about seniority integration court battles. When American took over bankrupt TWA, the APA argued in the Supreme Court of the United States that its members deserved seniority over all Trans World pilots because TWA crews had limited to no future prospects and no reasonable “healthy carrier” would agree to merge if its employees didn’t take precedence. Some call this the “failed carrier doctrine” and it is still applicable with the McCaskill-Bond legislation. The APA won its case in front of the Supreme Court, so it shouldn’t be surprised if USAPA East & West use it against them.

Of course Kirby thinks merging will solve US’s current integration problems. The USAPA pilots are salivating over new planes, APA’s high pay rates and benefits and the chance at more international routes. They’ll happily staple APA to the bottom of the seniority list to get those perks.

Perhaps APA president David Bates really believes the former America West pilots will just give way to the APA’s claims on seniority. He met with USAPA pilots in Charlotte last month and touted the meeting as a beginning of negotiations to resolve the issue.

I don’t believe any “negotiations” are going to resolve this issue quickly or simply… and I see no way APA members come out of this scenario better in the long-term. Union solidarity only goes so far and US pilots have been waiting years for an opportunity like this.

More telling I thought was a quote in The Charlotte Observer from USAPA president Gary Hummell:

"My job, even though we are looking forward to a cooperative effort, is to protect USAPA pilots (and) to ensure our pilots get the best contract they can."

Even if that means it’s at the expense of the APA. Even if this means making American out to be a failing carrier.

WHITHER TWU?

The Transport Workers Union International and many of the locals haven’t exactly rushed into the arms of US Airways. Unlike APFA, which has thrown itself at US like .... well I won't say it, or APA, with its “studious business” approach, TWU has seemingly shrugged its collective shoulders about the US “deal.”

That’s probably because the US agreement isn’t much different from the one AA recently offered TWU. The Mechanics and Related and Stores work groups rejected American’s proposal, but I doubt they’re holding their breath waiting for US Airways to save them.

The TWU is being realistic. Besides saving some jobs – which the M&R and Stores groups decided wasn’t enough reason to approve the AA offer – there’s not a lot US can do for TWU members. They’ve heard US’s promises of limited job protection and bringing more maintenance in-house, but a quick look at DOT numbers also shows US currently has one of highest percentages of outsourced maintenance in the industry. Hard to believe it would be more cost efficient for US to give that work to TWU.

Plus, the TWU successfully used the failed carrier doctrine against TWA as well. While its 24,000 members at American dwarf the number of ground workers at US, TWU leaders know their own arguments will be used against them in arbitration. The TWU has seen what has happened to ground workers at other failed airlines and, at this point, can only hope to minimize its losses.

TWU also lost a bitter and expensive battle against IAM to represent workers at US and, as any political junkie knows, unseating an incumbent is neither easy nor cheap.

WHAT’S IT ALL MEAN?

I’ve already admitted seniority battles might mean little to nothing to customers and operations. That’s possibly enough for Wall Street types who are bounding after this potential consolidation like dogs chase cars.

There are, though, real concerns for other financial stakeholders. One complex integration should give them pause - but three battles should/will make them nauseous.

US has touted the synergies merging with American would immediately bring. What happens to those synergies if integrating pilots, flight attendants and ground workers drags on, or as I expect, become overly contentious and litigious?

US Airways’ own track record – now going on seven years - shows it cannot facilitate integrated contracts and is quick to suggest the reason is because of internal union squabbles. “Old” US flight attendants fly with “old” US pilots, segregated from their former-America West peers. If a similar situation develops with a devoured American workforce, those already questionable synergies become even more degraded. In other words, the risk and return calculation might be worth further consideration by AMR’s creditors.

There are also a couple of other elephants standing off in the corner that bear watching. First is US Airways own unions, specifically the AFA and the IAM. None of those three groups (remember, AFA represents two distinct flight attendant units at US) are very happy with Parker and Co. right now. Contract negotiations have dragged on with US holding the line on costs because of its structural revenue underperformance relative to the industry.

Yet the IAM and AFA saw Parker and Kirby promise the moon, stars and assorted planets to American’s union leaders. They have significant leverage, including asking the National Mediation Board for release. With an election quickly approaching, a Democratic White House might be hard put to ignore the treaties of two very influential labor organizations, both of which wield more power than American’s unions. Keep in mind, the current chairperson of the NMB is former AFA president Linda Puchala.

Then there are American’s non-union employees. The CWA is currently trying to organize American’s 10,000 agents and representatives, even though the CWA has publicly admitted the majority of those employees don’t want a union. Well, guess who represents US Airways passenger service representatives? That’s right, the CWA. (It also is partnered with the AFA). In a merger, American’s PSRs would get a union whether they wanted one or not, most likely without a vote and probably find themselves on the bottom of the seniority scale. Their – and the other non-union AA employees not happy about their new seniority “rank” – only recourse might be the courts.

The last elephant is more of a wooly mammoth: extinct, but vestiges still remain. That would be the group of employees the APA, APFA and TWU all made bones off of… the former TWA workers. This could be their last shot to right some wrongs and adding them into the mix exponentially increases the level of difficulty of integration.

"We have a chance for a fresh start here," Roger Graham, a spokesman for the former TWA flight attendants, told Ted Reed of TheStreet.com earlier this month. At least there is one group of employees who might benefit from this proposed merger.

It’s hard to fathom why no one has really taken notice of the elephants. Maybe because they obscure Wall Street’s desire for a (very) short-term gain despite the longer-term implications. Maybe it’s because American’s unions are simply using US as leverage with no intent to expose their members to the possible risks of actually going through with the merger. Or maybe it’s because ignoring them makes it easier for Parker and Kirby to believe this deal is really as simple as they pretend.

Maybe the court and AMR’s creditors, blinded by pro forma financial reasoning that is, sadly, often divorced from airline industry reality and the notion of competitive response, will embrace the US proposal as the best value for their dollars.

If they do, they should beware that discounts to the pro forma estimate are called for because of the elephants in the room.

APFA, by not making a deal with the company in 1113, should be questioned by its members about its decision to put all of its eggs in the US basket under the failed leadership doctrine.

Finally, the TWA pilots reared their heads last week by filing suit against American Airlines and the Allied Pilots Association.

Looks to me like -- game on.

Of course Kirby thinks merging will solve US's current integration problems. The USAPA pilots are salivating over new planes, APA's high pay rates and benefits and the chance at more international routes. They'll happily staple APA to the bottom of the seniority list to get those perks.

Perhaps APA president David Bates really believes the former America West pilots will just give way to the APA's claims on seniority. He met with USAPA pilots in Charlotte last month and touted the meeting as a beginning of negotiations to resolve the issue.

I don't believe any "negotiations" are going to resolve this issue quickly or simply… and I see no way APA members come out of this scenario better in the long-term. Union solidarity only goes so far and US pilots have been waiting years for an opportunity like this.

More telling I thought was a quote in The Charlotte Observer from USAPA president Gary Hummell:

"My job, even though we are looking forward to a cooperative effort, is to protect USAPA pilots (and) to ensure our pilots get the best contract they can."

Even if that means it's at the expense of the APA. Even if this means making American out to be a failing carrier.

USAirways East pilots are going to get their clocks cleaned in a second SLI in a row.

I guess since the ramp, mechanic and related, customer service, dispatchers and every other work group except the pilots and FAs are integrated, he knows nothing about it.

Since the pilots its an internal union matter holding it up and the FAs only need a single CBA, he knows nothing.

Dont let the facts get in your way.

Reactions: 2 people
I guess since the ramp, mechanic and related, customer service, dispatchers and every other work group except the pilots and FAs are integrated, he knows nothing about it.

Since the pilots its an internal union matter holding it up and the FAs only need a single CBA, he knows nothing.

Dont let the facts get in your way.
Why integrate when it's $100 million a year cheaper to operate separately and the unions want it that way?

Right on Trader, as an East pilot you know how one union in particular played into Parker's hands and right into his pockets.

Reactions: 1 person
One of the most, if not the worst, piece of asinine incendiary garbage from the "alleged MIT analyst" that I think I've read during this entire Chapter 11 progress.

This guy is worthless.

One of our pilots looked into his MIT qualifications. Nobody ever heard of him, no office, no telephone number associated on campus.

USAirways East pilots are going to get their clocks cleaned in a second SLI in a row.

I beg to differ. Every arbitrader out there is aware of the McCaskil-Bond law that was bithed in direct relation to what the American unions did to the TWA employees. An arbitrader may look at this as there was proper protocall and plenty of reason to establish such a law, therefore he/she could very well make the X-TWA employees whole again (giving them their TWA senoirity back) as well as, this time around, putting the US unions above the AA union employees. Depending on how you look at it, AA unions will be looking at some rough justice coming at them, while the US union employees might see some sweet justice come out of this. Never say Never folks, you never know. I agree with the article posted that started this thread, there are huge elephants in the room that will come to light when the integrations get started between the unions.

Looks like the article is dated 6/6/12, and the author was also doing some consulting work for AA during that time.

Here's a little more on Swelbar:

http://www.swelblog.com/swelbar/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwDbr-ZCgAI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/08/united-airlines-alliances-opinions-contributors-captain-wallach.html

I beg to differ. Every arbitrader out there is aware of the McCaskil-Bond law that was bithed in direct relation to what the American unions did to the TWA employees. An arbitrader may look at this as there was proper protocall and plenty of reason to establish such a law, therefore he/she could very well make the X-TWA employees whole again (giving them their TWA senoirity back) as well as, this time around, putting the US unions above the AA union employees. Depending on how you look at it, AA unions will be looking at some rough justice coming at them, while the US union employees might see some sweet justice come out of this. Never say Never folks, you never know. I agree with the article posted that started this thread, there are huge elephants in the room that will come to light when the integrations get started between the unions.
swamt, I think you need to stick with pumping AMFA, something you are very good at doing. Your comments above are ridiculous as you will never see (right or wrong) the TWA folks get their seniority back, or the US unions get "put" above the AA unions. Then again, this may be another way for you to pump the AMFA. And by the way, not a TWU supporter, not even an AMT. Just someone looking at things without being blinded by other agenda's.

swamt, I think you need to stick with pumping AMFA, something you are very good at doing. Your comments above are ridiculous as you will never see (right or wrong) the TWA folks get their seniority back, or the US unions get "put" above the AA unions. Then again, this may be another way for you to pump the AMFA. And by the way, not a TWU supporter, not even an AMT. Just someone looking at things without being blinded by other agenda's.

No prob. Just wanted to point out what possibly could happen. Although veyr far fetched, it could happen.

This guy is worthless.

One of our pilots looked into his MIT qualifications. Nobody ever heard of him, no office, no telephone number associated on campus.

I guess he didn't try this new tool called "Google".... First page of results gives you Swelbar's page on the MIT website.

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/Ab_Bios.html

As disclosure, one of the departments I work quite closely with has done extensive work with both Swelbar and Belobaba.

Most pilots unions don't like his work. That tells me he's probably closer to right than they'd like.

One of the most, if not the worst, piece of asinine incendiary garbage from the "alleged MIT analyst" that I think I've read during this entire Chapter 11 progress.

This guy is worthless.

Swelbar has been an ardent opponent of this merger from the git go. This latest version of swill is a complete embarrassment to anyone else hiding behind a prestigious academic moniker.

The arguments Swelbar makes are so full of factual and conceptual holes its not even worth addressing in a rebuttal.

Odoni and Belobaba are the clear academic heavy weights in the MIT initiative. Both have long and distinguished careers in OR (operations research). You don't see any of them wasting their hard earned reputations on destructive swill.

Hansman is the rain-maker at the MIT initiative. He does far too much (personal and well paid!) consulting with airlines and has far too many friends in Congress and the FAA (they always drag him out to testify on capital hill). You don't see him making any negative rants about the merger. And you wont because the merger is a plum cAA$h consulting opportunity!

Instead of pointing out how things might actually work now that this thing is gonna happen, Swelbar seems so hell bent on being right, he's willing to throw JP4 all over the tarmac to keep his rage fueled and burning. Quite a sad sight.

Like it or not, we are merging. And whether or not DP and SK and anybody else from Dallas or Tempe involved in the merger is a. qualified or b. knows what the h*ll they are doing, and/or c. is SOBER enough to pull it off, I hope we can all pull together, get this thing going, AVOID the UA/CO fiasco, and do the best we can to make this thing work for all the people that have to go home everyday from the airport and pay bills. Swelbar's opinions be damned!

BTW...you wont find an office or a telephone number for the Data Project or and the Initiative because it is run out of Belobaba's office at MIT in Building 33.

MIT Global Airline Industry Program "Office"
http://web.mit.edu/a...us_contact.html
v3dq3r.jpg

Prof Peter Belobaba's Office at MIT
http://web.mit.edu/b...?query=belobaba
6gj6sg.jpg

Swelbar used to have a desk across the campus over in Building 1 in the Civil Engineering Department with the OR people over there, but nobody over in Aero/Astro in Building 33 would know what he looks like...aside from Odoni, Belobaba and Hansman.

Swelbar appears to have a legit MIT phone number but he's using Belobaba's office as his MIT address...I guess they got rid of his desk in Building 1...
Swelbar GLOBAL HQ (at MIT)
http://web.mit.edu/b...?query=belobaba
991fg4.jpg

Kinda shady, huh? Seems like Room 33-318 at MIT is doing double/triple duty (Global Airline Initiative, Airline Data Project, Prof Belobaba's office, GLOBAL HQ for the Swelbar blog...)...I guess it's kinda like the break rooms at DCA!

Swelbar has no academic appointment at MIT and I doubt that he his listed as lead instructor of any courses in the MIT course catalog although he probably guest lectures in Belobaba's offerings. And he clearly has no LUV for the US/AA...LOL...

God Bless US AAll and God Bless the US/AA!