Passengers Refuse To Even Discuss Us

Trip Confirmed

Advanced
Dec 5, 2002
I am a senior int'l agt for one of the biggest travel agencies in the country.I take overflow for domestic travel.

Yesterday was one thing. Today was another.

3 of our clients probably rate in the top 2 USAIR clients.

One cup of coffee, starting answering calls. I could not GIVE AWAY US tickets.

It is required that I offer them first to those companies because of corporate contracts.

I cannot begin to tell you how many US tickets I send for ticketing in one 8 hour day.

Today I sent 2. Domestic. That was it. TWO!!

I got the same thing from everyone.

"They probably won't exist on my travel date, I'll be stuck with a useless ticket no one else will take, and I will have to pay full fare on someone else, and maybe never get my original money back."

Seems everyone has heard that US is choosing to strike and let the airline collapse.

And I had several remark about not wanting to fly on an airline whose employees are simply hostile at this point. I think they were more concerned about hostility toward the plane than to the passenger. Ain't pretty, but that's what I heard all day.

My sympathies to all employees. It really DOES look like this airline is finished.

Rumor has it that one of those companies will be banning US completely by Monday.

It's just rumor.

Good luck guys. Many of you worked long and hard and were appreciated,especially by me.

Trip Confirmed, sad isn't it? I commend you for trying. Lord knows the employees need all the help they can get. This company is run by scumb@gs. Wish I had a better 'tude, but I can't wait to start my new job in the new year flying cargo.

I wish I knew more about your unions and contacts, but I don't have a clue.

But a question?

What is best for the employees?

Liquidation, or fighting back? And simply,what happens with either choice?

Can someone here put it in simple laymans language for me?

Thanks.

Trip Confirmed, there are no easy one-size-fits-all answers. To put it bluntly, the way management is proceeding is a lose-lose situation. It's lose for the employees and it's lose for the passengers. In an intense customer service business such as the airlines one would THINK a company would comprehend that in order for the product to be successful you have to have motivated employees. US Airways' management is the poster child for corporate mutilation. Wish I had a more optimistic outlook but I don't give the place much longer; just being honest.

I would think that all of the Liquidation talk started by Management would do more harm than Hostile Employees. Sure, most have had it with the company and thier antics, but they continue to perform thier jobs. The mass exodus of bookings can be blamed on nobody except Management. They chose to attempt to Intimidate the Employees once again with threats of liquidation thru the press. Did they not have the Brains to realize that they would make a bad situation worse???
Never in the past with any other troubled Airline have I heard them toss the word
"Liquidate" around like this Management has done. Sure, other failed carriers have liquidated, but they didn't tell everyone in advance to helf them go down the drain quicker.

EyeInTheSky said:
Trip Confirmed, there are no easy one-size-fits-all answers. To put it bluntly, the way management is proceeding is a lose-lose situation. It's lose for the employees and it's lose for the passengers. In an intense customer service business such as the airlines one would THINK a company would comprehend that in order for the product to be successful you have to have motivated employees. US Airways' management is the poster child for corporate mutilation. Wish I had a more optimistic outlook but I don't give the place much longer; just being honest.
[post="200272"][/post]​

This whole situation is really sick. My heart goes out to all employees.

Can I ask another stupid question? Many people on my side of the fence think that the unions created dues paying slaves. And that those same unions are the reason for all the disaster in your industry today.

That your unions are the reason you're in the boat you're in today. They inhaled your money, but actually did NOTHING to help you.

Is that right or wrong?

All I know is that airlines told the travel agents in this country to go to Hell some time back. We weren't worth a 10% commission anymore, then we weren't worth a 5% commission, then we were worth NOTHING.

Most of us lost their jobs. Every travel agent in this country decided that we were no longer partners, but probably enemies. That feeling exists today, probably stronger than ever.

But many laughed when travel agents were no longer part of the plan, we saw what would come next.

The airlines had to start eating their own, since they didn't have us to slaughter anymore. Now the airline employees are getting outsourced.

I have to tell you about this little meeting maybe a year ago.

Major Int'l airline rep and pals show up to meet with agents. Instead of asking nicely for us to steer our int'l business to his airline , he got absolutely ridiculous. Almost threatened us. XYZ is our biggest client (and OUR biggest client)and you "MUST" book them on my airline, or your company (will face our wrath, or something like it.)

"You will lose our major discount if volume is not enough."

Guess what ####?

You are talking to reservationists who don't give a damn what your corporate discount percentage is. IT DOES NOT AFFECT US!

This clown did more to lose passengers than anyone I've seen in years. We all still hate him. But the food spread he brought was tasty. My guess is that sales dropped like a rock for a while. Arrogant ####. I book those clients butthead, not you. We all laughed about his arrogance for weeks. And we haven't seen him since. Fired?

But here's the goofy part. ME? $35,000 plus major bennies and medical. Vision, long and short term disability,dental, life insurance, reimbursement for any further education classes, (and I mean ANY), and I work 9-5 ,Mon-Fri, and am home every night and all day on weekends.

We have no union. It's all based on experience.

No pensions scare me. But am I worse off than you?

Somehow, I feel better off since your pensions and years of hard work may dissappear soon.

God Bless you all. I pray for you.

You are all loved.

Again its not the big shots in AL making the liquidation statements on the front page of the national news paper, no, no, no! It's those employees that all make 250k a year or more that are the problem.

Actually I have been very impressed with how well all the people I come in contact with are acting around the public.

TripConfirmed, I know a lot of travel agents that have greatly benefitted from shifting their important services to other travel sectors = specifically cruises and tours. Since you work for a large travel consortium you have a safe buffer. Unfortunately, a lot of mom & pop travel agencies have gone the way of the Titanic; then again, their flawed business plans revolved heavily on air commissions. So, basically, now, the airlines getting over screwing travel agents have turned inwards towards their own employees. A lot of people blame the unions exclusively; not fair, but to be honest there are some really dumb things the unions have done that haven't helped aka the "new flaws." But, let's face it, if the company had treated employees in good faith from the beginning they wouldn't be on the property. However, that slap aside, no other aspect of the company has been more out there in keeping the airline flying than the employees. So, now, like the travel agencies the employees are forced to adapt. Knowing US Airways employees resourcefulness I have no doubt in my mind that this group of fine employees will succeed in whatever endeavour they choose to take on; whether that be in or out of the aviation industry. As for pensions and compensation, well, its sad to say these are going nowhere in the airline industry. BTW, what airline did the anal retentive sales rep work for? Anyone we know? ;)

Here's what it comes down to:

Most of the employees of US Airways working there five years ago are now laid off and destitute. Most of the employees who are there now, except for the dinosaurs with pre-Reagan seniority dates, won't be there when the company is done with the massacre. If the company wasn't managed by drooling retards, they would have had some early outs a few years ago to get some new, cheaper talent in there.

So, the few employees left now have NOTHING to lose by sinking the ship. They are going to be out of a job anyway, might as well take everyone else with them! Agreeing to concessions will just save someone else's job. That is why I voted HE11 NO for the first give backs a few years ago - I knew that I was done by voting yes. Of course, my coworkers sold out by agreeing to eliminate the no furlough clause and then coddling with the wimpy IAM and not wildcatting when the company forced concessions after the second ILLEGAL vote.

Most of the employees are already in the carriage on the way to the guillotine in the middle of the bloody square known as the airline industry. The government, both Republican and Democrat are sitting by idling counting their dollars and loving the CEOs. They ignore the plight of the aviation industry - it is where passenger rail was in the 1970s, headed towards oblivion. REGULATION is NEEDED and the LAYOFFS MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY! :angry:

However, since 90% of us are doomed anyway, we might as well sink the ship. Chances are, boys and girls, accepting concessions WILL NOT save your job - just someone else's. It's time to sculttle her.....its also time that United, Delta, ATA and all the rest of the folks that are getting screwed do their part to bring commercial aviation to its knees. Then, maybe then, someone in Washington will get out from under their desk with the interns or put down the cocaine and booze and realize that the pillaging of the airlines by the rich and greedy MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY!!!!! :angry:

Trip Confirmed said:
I wish I knew more about your unions and contacts, but I don't have a clue.

But a question?

What is best for the employees?

Liquidation, or fighting back? And simply,what happens with either choice?

Can someone here put it in simple laymans language for me?

Thanks.
[post="200266"][/post]​

EyeInTheSky said:
TripConfirmed, I know a lot of travel agents that have greatly benefitted from shifting their important services to other travel sectors = specifically cruises and tours. Since you work for a large travel consortium you have a safe buffer. Unfortunately, a lot of mom & pop travel agencies have gone the way of the Titanic; then again, their flawed business plans revolved heavily on air commissions. So, basically, now, the airlines getting over screwing travel agents have turned inwards towards their own employees. A lot of people blame the unions exclusively; not fair, but to be honest there are some really dumb things the unions have done that haven't helped aka the "new flaws." But, let's face it, if the company had treated employees in good faith from the beginning they wouldn't be on the property. However, that slap aside, no other aspect of the company has been more out there in keeping the airline flying than the employees. So, now, like the travel agencies the employees are forced to adapt. Knowing US Airways employees resourcefulness I have no doubt in my mind that this group of fine employees will succeed in whatever endeavour they choose to take on; whether that be in or out of the aviation industry. As for pensions and compensation, well, its sad to say these are going nowhere in the airline industry. BTW, what airline did the anal retentive sales rep work for? Anyone we know? ;)
[post="200282"][/post]​

Sorry Darling, I just can't seem to remember the name of that airline. Silly me.

But I think the initials were CO.

Does that help?

Hugs.

No, not surprised at all. Maybe Gordo fired the weenie, which would make him a prime employment prospect at US Airways. :blink: Good luck to us all!

This is my first post. Have 25 1/2 yrs seniority w/U in res and am so tired of the mess. Someone said that a buyout should have already been avail to us. I totally agree with that. It won't take much for me to leave. I used to really love my job, still do like helping the passengers, sad part is the company doesn't want us to help them. SAD :(

N513AU said:
Here's what it comes down to:

Most of the employees of US Airways working there five years ago are now laid off and destitute. Most of the employees who are there now, except for the dinosaurs with pre-Reagan seniority dates, won't be there when the company is done with the massacre. If the company wasn't managed by drooling retards, they would have had some early outs a few years ago to get some new, cheaper talent in there.

So, the few employees left now have NOTHING to lose by sinking the ship. They are going to be out of a job anyway, might as well take everyone else with them! Agreeing to concessions will just save someone else's job. That is why I voted HE11 NO for the first give backs a few years ago - I knew that I was done by voting yes. Of course, my coworkers sold out by agreeing to eliminate the no furlough clause and then coddling with the wimpy IAM and not wildcatting when the company forced concessions after the second ILLEGAL vote.

Most of the employees are already in the carriage on the way to the guillotine in the middle of the bloody square known as the airline industry. The government, both Republican and Democrat are sitting by idling counting their dollars and loving the CEOs. They ignore the plight of the aviation industry - it is where passenger rail was in the 1970s, headed towards oblivion. REGULATION is NEEDED and the LAYOFFS MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY! :angry:

However, since 90% of us are doomed anyway, we might as well sink the ship. Chances are, boys and girls, accepting concessions WILL NOT save your job - just someone else's. It's time to sculttle her.....its also time that United, Delta, ATA and all the rest of the folks that are getting screwed do their part to bring commercial aviation to its knees. Then, maybe then, someone in Washington will get out from under their desk with the interns or put down the cocaine and booze and realize that the pillaging of the airlines by the rich and greedy MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY!!!!! :angry:

[post="200283"][/post]​

Could not have said it better myself. Somewhere and at some time, somebody decided that transportation by airplane was a God-given right, regardless of the cost involved, and that it should be affordable by everyone. Hence, bring down fares so that it's within reach of all. Well, I learned a long time ago that I would never be able to afford a Cadillac or a Lexus, or a home by the ocean, and I accepted that. The government never came along and enabled me to own any of these things. I just had to learn to live within my means. If airfares had stayed where they were, and the airlines were allowed to make a profit, then the only losers would have been those who had to resign themselves to traveling less expensively, and, in emergencies, yanking out that credit card for the absolutely necessary plane ticket. We now are left with tons of out-of-work people, retirees with no medical insurance, and customers flying for less than bus ticket prices. I don't get it.