Passengers Sings for Revenge For Broken Guitar,

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
Musician Dave Carroll watched in horror as United Airlines baggage workers at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport manhandled his $3,500 guitar last year. When he and his band arrived in Nebraska, the guitar was broken.

Thus began Carroll’s sad song.

Filing a claim for reimbursement for the guitar proved futile; airlines often exempt “valuables†including musical instruments from damage coverage in their contract of carriage. So Carroll and his band, Sons of Maxwell, decided to seek revenge instead of reimbursement. He told the last person to deny his claim, Ms. Irlweg, that he “would write and produce three songs about my experience with United Airlines and make videos for each to be viewed online by anyone in the world.â€

He put together a catchy song and cute video describing his nine-month hassle and posted it. Although United saved $3,500 by denying his broken guitar claim, the music video likely will generate far more than that in negative publicity for the airline.

Many travelers can relate to Carroll’s frustration. Even if you don’t like country music, you probably can appreciate his video.

Viewed by 148,000 times already.

article here

VIDEO HERE

CNN had a blurb and reported that United is discussing his loss with him and apparently is now using the videos in their training.

Stupid is as Stupid does.

If this knucklehead thinks of throwing a $3,XXX 'anything' as checked baggage is a retard if he/she didn't purchase insurance.

Might have been acceptable a few years ago, but this pig don't fly today!

B) xUT

The article says he DID have insurance, and it bought him a new guitar. He was asking for reimbursement to repair the damage done to a guitar that had sentimental value.

He also had witnesses to the poor handling. Don't see how insurance covers this. :rolleyes:

My question would be was the guitar was in a hard sided case, as shown in the video? I get a lot of "gig bags" onboard, and tell the folks they look cool, but they need a real case to protect their "babies".

Anyway, wouldn't wish this PR mess on anyone, and it IS the time we live in.
Act accordingly.

Stupid is as Stupid does.

If this knucklehead thinks of throwing a $3,XXX 'anything' as checked baggage is a retard if he/she didn't purchase insurance.

B) xUT
Whats the alternative? Its too big for under the seat, and would take up an entire overhead. Many narrow body AC have little or no closet space, and what little there is filled with crew luggage.

To call a customer a retard for doing what they are required to do, which is to check large items. Then blame them, when the employees entrusted to take care of them break or damage and claim no responsibility's, is one of the sad states of the industry. Insurance is for the unexpected and unavoidable. no one should have to purchase insurance to protect there belonging from damage done by the people who were entrusted with it. The airline should be the one responsible and should have to carry or self insure against damage done to property in their care.

Its a great airline catch 22 for the customer. You cannot bring the bag on board and we are not responsible for what happens to you things in our possession.

Three thousand dollars sounds like a bargain now. United on various news channels, newspapers and web sites all with links to the video. Two million hits of a haunting annoying melody, that "United breaks guitars".

With 2,300,000 views, United has decided to offer to pay for the guitar. Dave Carroll made an update on the video to say so , and to say that Mrs Irlwig may be being treated unfairly by the people posting comments. He said the second in the trilogy will be out soon.

Dave Carroll speaks

Whats the alternative? Its too big for under the seat, and would take up an entire overhead. Many narrow body AC have little or no closet space, and what little there is filled with crew luggage.

To call a customer a retard for doing what they are required to do, which is to check large items. Then blame them, when the employees entrusted to take care of them break or damage and claim no responsibility's, is one of the sad states of the industry. Insurance is for the unexpected and unavoidable. no one should have to purchase insurance to protect there belonging from damage done by the people who were entrusted with it. The airline should be the one responsible and should have to carry or self insure against damage done to property in their care.

Its a great airline catch 22 for the customer. You cannot bring the bag on board and we are not responsible for what happens to you things in our possession.

Three thousand dollars sounds like a bargain now. United on various news channels, newspapers and web sites all with links to the video. Two million hits of a haunting annoying melody, that "United breaks guitars".

See, this ‘customer’ had insurance and not as ‘stupid’ as I first thought.

Not only is he ‘not’ stupid, he is getting reimbursed by United, ‘HIS’ insurance, dissing United while creating ‘HIS’ presence at the detriment of others “and†getting great support for his fraud.

If ‘I’ were United, I would sue this nimrod back to being naked.

B) xUT

Maybe United Employees need to make a video called "United Steals Pensions"...that might get attention.

Not only is he ‘not’ stupid, he is getting reimbursed by United,
Not really. UAL refused to compensate him for the intentional damage done by its employees. Witnessed by by his own eyes and others on board the plane. He told Mrs Irwig he would document the events in a song and video to be posted on the web. After a couple hundred thousand hits, UAL decided it would be in there interest to settle for the damage they had done.

He turned down the money they offered after the video took off. He did say it would be nice though if they donated it to the charity of UAL's choosing. I am not sure where you read he had insurance, please post it for us.

PS Even if someone did have insurance it does not negate the responsibility of an airline for the damage they cause. After all not everyone can afford to wait through a year of phone calls and letters to finally get the "NO, we refuse to take responsibility for the damage caused to someones belongings in our care".

If ‘I’ were United, I would sue this nimrod back to being naked.
Sue him for what?