Passengers Welcome News Independence Is Coming

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Freedom to save - Passengers welcome news Independence is coming

"Independence Air will offer eight daily flights with everyday one-way fares (between Charlotte and Dulles) ranging between $59 and $122. Perhaps more importantly, the airline will offer connecting flights between Dulles and 27 cities including Newark, N.J., Boston, Cleveland and New York. One-way fares to those cities will range between $79 and $199."

Complete Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Now I'm really scared! I guess I better give up whatever they ask for so we can combat Independence Air. You too IAM and AFA and CWA and everyone other CBA covered employee. If you don't give it up, Independence Air is going to drive us from CLT.

BTW 320, ALPA has asked to keep all information sent to it's members confidential. But I guess you don't understand the meaning of that word.

mr

Independence Planning Service to US Airways’ Charlotte Hub

CHARLOTTE (Aviation Daily) - Independence Air continues to attack major carriers in their anchor markets and is now moving to start flights in US Airways’ Charlotte hub in October. Independence is adding US Airways’ Charlotte N.C., hub and Huntsville, Ala., to its route network, after hinting last week it would announce the destinations (DAILY, July 29). The carrier already flies to Delta’s Atlanta hub, United’s and American’s hub at O’Hare and Continental’s Newark hub. Independence plans to offer eight daily flights to Charlotte, and six to Huntsville. Introductory fares to Charlotte are $29 one way and $69 for connecting service from Dulles. Huntsville’s introductory fares are $39 one-way and $79 for connections. The eight additional flights in Charlotte should boost available weekly seats in the market by about 3,000. Data from the Seabury Airline Planning Group web site show that United and US Airways plan to offer about 10,796 seats per week between the two airports, increasing to 13,596 once Independence starts flights. Independence will be the only carrier serving Huntsville from Dulles, based on APG information, but Delta and US Airways fly to the Alabama city from National, offering 3,800 weekly seats. The new flights from Independence will boost that number to 5,900 weekly seats from the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. The cheapest roundtrip flight from Dulles to Charlotte on United for a two-day trip during the week in October is $307. The least expensive ticket price for the same itinerary on US Airways is $287. From National to Huntsville, United’s cheapest fare was $571 and Delta’s was $450.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Maybe they will get more than 6 folks per plane as seen in Boston last Monday morning - and the widely reported 40-50% load factor reported in the press in these summer travel months....

Mwereplanes:

Mwereplanes said “BTW 320, ALPA has asked to keep all information sent to it's members confidential. But I guess you don't understand the meaning of that word.â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: ALPA has asked that information from the “pilots onlyâ€￾ portion of the website not be posted, which I have complied with. However, code-a-phone and other information from the public portion of the forum can be retransmitted, per the Communications Committee.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USHenry:

I do not believe Atlantic Coast’s transformation from a RJ feed operator to a LCC will be successful because the RJ is not suited for that roll with its high CASM in point-to-point low yield markets.

Last week the company reported a net loss reported a second quarter 2004 net loss of $27.1 million (($0.60) per diluted share) compared to second quarter 2003 net income of $45.7 million.

The problem for US Airways is that their entrance into many East Coast markets directly effects US Airways Washington revenue. The competition will further depress US Airways’ revenue going forward at a time the company faces two critical financial tests. According to a press release US Airways said, “The company has reached agreements with its primary sources of regional jet financing to continue financing aircraft deliveries through Sept. 30, 2004. The agreements require the company to achieve its Transformation Plan in order to continue to take delivery of new regional jets.â€￾

"Despite posting a slight profit this quarter, our year-to-date loss of $143 million is unsustainable and the competitive environment continues to intensify. We remain under pressure to cut our costs considerably if we hope to maintain relationships with key financial stakeholders and remain viable in 2005," said David M. Davis, US Airways executive vice president of finance and chief financial officer.

See Story

According to AW&ST, for US Airways, pitfalls loom in the much nearer term. Announcing second-quarter financial results July 27, the carrier revealed that it had to make a second set of concessions to the ATSB in order to win a waiver of June 30 financial-ratio covenants in its guaranteed loan. The next check on covenant compliance is Sept. 30, which also is the expiration date of an interim agreement on revised financing for continued deliveries of regional jets. CEO Bruce Lakefield said further concessions from US Airways' unions will be needed by then to hold both of these agreements together, as well as to avoid big fall-winter financial losses that would threaten the carrier's cash position.

AW&ST said the company’s unrestricted cash stood at $975 million on June 30, down $3 million during the quarter and thus "somewhat disappointing," according to CFO Dave Davis. "We can expect that without a lower cost structure, we will be in a cash-burn situation in the second half of the year," he said.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
I do not believe Atlantic Coast’s transformation from a RJ feed operator to a LCC will be successful because the RJ is not suited for that roll with its high CASM in point-to-point low yield markets.
I'm not going to try to say that 50 seat RJs are low-cost nor will I say that I think DH will be successful. I will point out that they aren't flying point to point low-yield markets; they are flying everything into one hub. Sounds like a traditional hub and spoke to me. And if WAS-NYC/BOS/CHI/DTW/CLT aren't high yield, then what is? Don't forget they will be getting Airbii in November. They are smart enough to know they need more than a bunch of 50 seaters to survive as a stand-alone carrier. (though judging from their other moves that is about all they got right)

I had suspected that taking all 87 (or whatever the number is) of their RJs and basing them at IAD might be too much capacity with the number of cities they originally picked, as well as those cities not being particularly far away (no service to MSY/STL/MCI, which have IAD RJ service, or used to anyway). It makes me wonder if DH might eventually decide to deploy some of their RJ fleet at a secondary city... one that has decent O&D, though not as good as IAD, one that is underused.... one that is a great facility.... one with little low-fare presence... PIT.

(Pure speculation on my part, but something to think about)

or STL...a city begging for more air service and which is within an RJ's flight of just about everything east of the Rockies.

6 flights a day IAD-HSV? They have got to be joking. Has anyone been to the HSV airport. I have flown the CLT-HSV route frequently, and even as the official airline of "Alabama Tourism", I have seen an RJ filled to 50 seats all of once, on a holiday weekend. The only mainline presence is DL and they are the official airline of Space Camp and ATL provides great connectivity for HSV. Six flights a day into markets like HSV will kill IndyAir and their 22 cent CASM.

Latest posts