Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
Noted New York Times writer Andrew Ross Sorkin, in an article Tuesday, links AMR’s desire to remain independent to its executives’ desire for a big payoff.

Sorkin notes that AMR chairman and CEO, Tom Horton, had stood behind his position that the best option for American Airlines and parent AMR is to emerge from bankruptcy independently rather than merge with US Airways, as US Airways and its chairman and CEO Doug Parker have been pushing:

“But there potentially is another reason — one that would be a perverse incentive — that Mr. Horton may be shunning a deal with US Airways before emerging from bankruptcy: a giant payday.

“Mr. Horton and his management team stand to receive somewhere between $300 million and $600 million if he can make it through bankruptcy court without merging first with a rival like US Airways.

“In an odd twist of the bankruptcy process, airline management teams have typically managed to extract 5 percent to 10 percent of the company’s shares for themselves upon exiting Chapter 11, with the C.E.O. often getting 1 percent.

“This happens, oddly enough, despite some of the same management wiping out shareholders (including themselves) by filing for Chapter 11 in the first place. AMR is expected to be valued at as much as $6 billion if it exits bankruptcy independently, analysts estimate.

“Over the last several decades in the airline business, this is where C.E.O.’s have gotten rich.”

Sorkin also notes at the end of the article that Parker also has a big potential payoff. His contract has a change-of-control provision that could pay him more than $20 million if there’s a merger and he’s the odd man out in the executive shuffling.
American’s flight attendant union, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants, had already attributed Horton’s opposition to a merger to the potential for a big stock payoff at the end of the bankruptcy process. The APFA and American’s other two unions, the Allied Pilots Association and Transport Workers Union, have come out in support of a US Airways-led merger with American.

Evil, greedy, bastard management at United did this also. Same thing at Delta. Same story at Northwest. Management did it twice at USAir within three years last decade. Happens all the time at companies that reorganize. Management successfully navigates Ch11 and they get a percentage of the new stock. AA has already offered the APA a claim for 13% of the new stock - you should string up the TWU leadership if they fail to bring back an offer for at least several percent (maybe even 13% or more) of the new stock.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh so we should be happy that he is taking everything from us and he get 60 mil pay day maybe thats whats wrong with this f'ing country is people like you think that is perfectly ok.

Wow completely amazes me

Whatever management gets on exit from bankruptcy isn't coming from you -- it is coming from the new shareholders.

What's the book value of the ownership stake in the pilot TA?...

Sounds like y'all have your chance for an equity stake, too, if you want. But that's the difference. You piss & moan about the equity stakes that management will get (and can sell off), but don't want any of the risk associated to it (i.e. look at Facebook's IPO).

Reactions: 3 people
Oh so we should be happy that he is taking everything from us and he get 60 mil pay day maybe thats whats wrong with this f'ing country is people like you think that is perfectly ok.

Wow completely amazes me
I get outraged when corporations do something that not only smells bad, but is outside the bounds of reasonableness, typically measured by what their peers did in similar situations. Taking some of the new stock (which isn't coming from the workers anyway as eolesen reminds you) isn't outside the bounds of reasonableness and doesn't even smell bad, so I don't get my panties in a wad over it. It's par for the course. I save my outrage for the truly aggregious behaviour, and so far, I haven't seen it. Getting worked up over Horton and other management getting some new stock upon Ch 11 exit is equivalent to braying at the moon. Have fun doing it, but it looks silly.

I get outraged when corporations do something that not only smells bad, but is outside the bounds of reasonableness, typically measured by what their peers did in similar situations. Taking some of the new stock (which isn't coming from the workers anyway as eolesen reminds you) isn't outside the bounds of reasonableness and doesn't even smell bad, so I don't get my panties in a wad over it. It's par for the course. I save my outrage for the truly aggregious behaviour, and so far, I haven't seen it. Getting worked up over Horton and other management getting some new stock upon Ch 11 exit is equivalent to braying at the moon. Have fun doing it, but it looks silly.
So you think aprx 60mil isnt unreasonable for anyone thats exiting bankruptcy. I could give a rats ass if everyone did it or not, I think it was B.S. for them to get it also.
So if i look silly to you voicing that then I guess Im a proud SILLY man

A link to the article. http://dealbook.nyti...round-a-merger/
Both Companies Management getting rich from a merger ..... figures.
they keep getting richer while we get poorer.

From your article:
“In its quest to acquire American Airlines, US Airways sounds like a teenager with its first credit card, spending money it doesn’t have.” Mr. Parker has been trying to engineer a merger for his company for years, repeatedly failing, notably losing a battle to merge with United. Mr. Swelbar said that Mr. Parker had “seduced some media and AA’s unions.”

I should have been an airline analyst.

Just because 'everyone else' has done it does not make it ethical.
As Tilton was gutting our contracts, he was asked how much of a hit he'll take.
Sorry, but I have a contract. His contract was BK proof, ours was not.
The 'executive class' came out unscathed and in most cases better off.
How is this 'fair and equitable'?
B) xUT

Reactions: 2 people
Just more American corporate greed drive a company into the ground with piss poor management rape the employees slash pay and benefits and reap millions off the backs of the employees after exiting ch11. Carma is what happens to people like that and Lets not leave out our greedy International reps... ;)

Whatever management gets on exit from bankruptcy isn't coming from you -- it is coming from the new shareholders.

Sounds like y'all have your chance for an equity stake, too, if you want. But that's the difference. You piss & moan about the equity stakes that management will get (and can sell off), but don't want any of the risk associated to it (i.e. look at Facebook's IPO).

The mechanic's have not been offered a stake in the new company but he gets to keep his retirement and Medical and he gets a giant piece of the company I guess you see this as fair

To me and it seems some European countries,....you file BK you are admitting you are a failure, why in Gods name can anyone ( like a few posts above) defend CEO's coming out of an admitted failure be rewarded. Where is the accounability? They plaster this accountability and leadership with banners all over the hanger walls at AFW !.so..... do as we say not as we do?....and we as some posters suggest,.. who are not living and seeing this daily hypocrocity and double standard should just except managements failures with zero accountability and possible big payoff. My Military background strongly suggest you lead by example. In order to be a leader you are accountable!.....As a lowly mechanic if I fail in my job my accountability can vary according to its severity,....balanced against a bk in business I would have to of really effed up,...so starting with a BOI from the company, a firing could be in order along with my license being pulled with the loss of my trade and career...maybe a permanent record filed,.....and at the very worst lives lost with private litigation. etc.etc. To suggest that the law is what it is and they can do this legally does not help their cause in rallying the troops to build this Airline back to where it once was.

You, E, are out of touch with rank and file. You don't have a clue, as new stock options will go to upper mgmt, with no new stock options to lowly non pilot workers who keep this co. running.
E, why can't you smell the rotting fish of greed? Did you use superglue instead of Visine?

Facebook IPO snafu was responsibility of stock broker who aranged the IPO. Was just priced too high. That has nothing to do with sharing the pain and sharing the gain, under which we have been living....... Apples and Oranges. EOM.

Point remains that the pilots were willing to accept stock.

Your negotiators may be fine mechanics, but they've proven to be amateurs at negotiating.