Paycuts At Ual! Article.

Dizel8

Senior
Sep 9, 2002
UAL asks its pilots for steep cutbacks

Plan calls for longer hours, 12% wage cut

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
November 24, 2004

Senior United Airlines pilots would have to fly more hours each month and be away from home longer under a sweeping cost-cutting proposal by the ailing carrier.

That change - as well as others proposed by United - could result in additional furloughs of junior pilots because the airline would gain productivity increases.

The giant carrier also has proposed contracting out jobs of pilot instructors at United's big flight training center in Denver, which could lead to furloughs.

Chicago-based United has proposed minimum wage cuts of 12 percent. The figure could rise if the pilots union does not agree to changes to work rules and scheduling provisions, such as the increase in flight hours.

The United branch of the Air Line Pilots Association released complete details of the carrier's proposal to its members for the first time last week, and the Rocky Mountain News obtained a copy.

The proposed cuts are so drastic that one might ask, "Why would anyone want to work there anymore?" said Bob Mann, an industry consultant in Port Washington, N.Y.

The airline, flying under bankruptcy-court protection for nearly two years, is seeking cutbacks from pilots as part of a plan to pare its costs by another $2 billion a year. It has cut its costs by about $5 billion a year, about half of which has come from labor concessions.

Denver's dominant carrier is asking the pilots group, the best-compensated of the rank and file, to provide $191.1 million in annual wage and benefit cuts and work-rule changes, or about 26 percent of the $725 million it seeks from workers.

The company also is asking all its unions for permission to terminate traditional pension plans, which would result in billions of dollars in additional savings and dampen the retirement benefits of active and retired pilots more than any other rank-and-file group.

United's pilots agreed to $1.1 billion in annual concessions last year, including pay cuts of 30 percent or more. About 2,100 pilots have been laid off since the 2001 terror attacks.

The company wants to negotiate the additional cutbacks by mid-January, which could help it step out of bankruptcy next year.

It will ask the bankruptcy court to impose concessions if negotiations fail.

United proposed increasing monthly maximum flight hours for pilots on widebody jets, such as the Boeing 747, to 95 from 85 and cutting their minimum monthly days off to 10 from 12. Pilots are capped at 100 hours a month and 1,000 hours a year under federal law, so pilots could fly at the monthly maximum rate for only 10.5 months.

The proposed changes would have a big impact on senior pilots' life-styles, many of whom fly to Asia and Europe, Mann said.

"If you figure they do four trips a month and spend a day getting to and returning from (the trip), that means exactly six days off in a month," he said. "You're going to have some very tired, frustrated people."

United pilots on narrowbody jets, such as the Boeing 737, agreed to raise their maximum monthly flight hours to 95 from 81 last year, and many say privately that the change has taken a toll on them and made the job much less appealing.

Other proposed changes by United:

• A 12 percent wage cut, with 4 percent of it temporary. United also proposed being able to impose another temporary 4 percent cut if it would otherwise default on certain financing.

• Replace pilot instructors at United's Denver flight training center with contractors. This could lead to furloughs because the United instructors would return to the cockpit, pushing out the least-senior pilots. United employs about 170 pilot instructors at the center.

• Reduce vacation, sick leave and health care benefits. The vacation cuts could affect staffing and spark some furloughs.

The hodgepodge of wage-cut stipulations and work-rule and benefit changes reflects a lack of resolve by management about the kind of concessions it needs to return to financial health, Mann said.

"I just don't think they have very much confidence in their own business modeling, because they just don't know what they're asking for," he said. "They're asking for more, but they're not willing to say how much more with any finality.

"That tells me they really don't know where things are going from here. Perhaps that is an honest reflection of where they now think they are. In the past, they have been overconfident."

Union spokesman Captain Steve Derebey said the proposal "is just their opening letter" in negotiations.

"We don't put a whole lot of stock in it," he said. "Typically this is what they do. They put things into these proposals that are the most draconian proposals, and they tend to negotiate from there because they know they're not going to get everything in those."

The union's leadership is scheduled to meet early next month to further discuss United's proposal.

The carrier "remains committed to working to reach consensual agreements with all our unions to achieve the necessary labor cost savings through fair and equitable changes to wages, benefits and work rules," spokeswoman Jean Medina said in an e-mailed statement.

"We are eager to continue discussions with our unions and remain open to considering all workable options and alternatives that will still provide the long-lasting savings United needs to exit Chapter 11 successfully."

The carrier says it is seeking further labor concessions in part because it has been hammered by high jet-fuel prices and low airfares.

United, the operating unit of UAL Corp., has racked up more than $9 billion in net losses since the end of 2000.A look at United's proposal to pilots

• Cut permanent pilot pay through 2010 by 8 percent, plus temporary cut of 4 percent from Jan. 1 until bankruptcy exit

• Phase in pay increases of 1.5 percent each year, 2006 through 2010

• Reduce vacation, sick leave and health care benefits

• Gain right to terminate traditional pension plan and replace with 401(k)-style plan

• Increase monthly maximum flight hours for pilots on widebody jets to 95 from 85, and cut minimum days off to 10 or 11 from 12

• Replace pilot instructors at Denver flight training center with contractors, resulting in possible union furloughs

• Possibly begin having United operate air-freighter operation in which United uses another company's jets and pilots

• The union says pay cuts would be as much as 18 percent if the pilots don't agree to any work-rule changes.

• United wants to save $191.1 million a year from pilot wage and benefit cuts and work-rule changes.Source: United Airlines

Dizel8,

I don't care who you are, that hurts. The trouble is, is that all other airlines will have to follow suit to remain competitive. I hope they don't roll over again because essentially that means similar pay cuts imposed on all of us sooner or later. If this concession gets approved, the proverbial "bar" will have been lowered to the ground, and unfortunately it will not change their (UAL's) competitive position in the industry.

Actually U's demise would make more sense, although you cannot blame the U employees for continuing to fight for survival.

Changing the bakruptcy laws would perhaps help.

Everyone is complaining about how terrible everything is. How would you like these benefits and lower payer to boot.

Benefits at a Glance

Travel Benefits Eligible immediately, benefit begins the first day of employment. Crew Members, eligible dependents and parents enjoy unlimited, complimentary, space available travel on AirTran Airways. In addition, Crew Members and eligible dependents may enjoy reduced rate travel on other airlines where agreements to do so are in effect.
Health Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of following month. Health insurance is structured into four tiers: Crew Member only, Crew Member and spouse, crew member and children, crew member and family. For the first year of employment, AirTran Airways contributes 50% toward the monthly cost. After the Crew Member's first anniversary, AirTran Airways contributes 60% towards the monthly cost.
Dental Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of following month. Dental insurance is structured into three tiers: Crew Member only, Crew Member and one dependent, and Crew Member and two or more dependents. For the first year of employment, AirTran Airways contributes 50% toward the monthly cost. After the Crew Member's first anniversary, AirTran Airways contributes 60% towards the monthly cost.
Accidental Death & Dismemberment Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of following month. Accidental Death and Dismemberment is structured into two tiers: Crew Member only and Crew Member and family. Crew Members contribute 100% to this benefit.
Basic Life Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of the following month. AirTran Airways provides life insurance equal to one year's base income (annual salary). This benefit increases with all pay increases.
Optional Life and
Dependent Life Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of the following month. Crew Members may elect additional life insurance coverage for themselves and may elect coverage for their spouse and dependent children.
Basic Long-Term
Disability Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of the following month. AirTran Airways provides long-term disability insurance for all full-time Crew Members. Benefit payments will begin after 180 days of disability and will be a 50% income replacement.
Optional Long-Term
Disability Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins first day of the following month. Crew Members have the option to elect additional long-term disability insurance that would provide the maximum benefit of 66 2/3% income replacement.
Flexible Spending
Accounts Eligible after 30 days of employment, benefit begins the first day of the following month. Crew Members may defer income into tax-free medical and dependent care reimbursement accounts.
401(k) Retirement Eligible after six months of employment, benefit begins first pay period after six months. Crew Members may contribute up to 15% of annual base income into the 401(k). AirTran Airways matches 10% of total contributions. Vesting is complete after three years of participation.
Stock Purchase Eligible after six months of employment, benefit begins the first pay period of the following quarter. Crew Members may contribute up to 15% of annual base income toward the purchase of AirTran Airways stock. Stock is purchased monthly at a 10% discount on the closing price of the offering date. AirTran Airways pays all administrative costs.

The bar has already been set by the LCC competition. Until we can compete against them and make a profit expect cuts. The LCC (excluding SW) makes less than we do and they have less benefits and no pension. U and UAL can go out of buiness, but the the other legacy carriers will still have compete with the LCC. Life has changed. You can adapt or get in the unemployment line.

What airlines do you two work for Dizel8 and C54Capt? I was reading your comments and I was just curious....

I don't think I have ever hidden the fact, that I work for jetblue, how that is relevant, I am not sure......Unless of course you view the LCC's are the scourge of the earth and the reason for all the problems.

How ironic that we have two employees from low cost carriers talking about 'rolling over' and 'lowering the bar'.

You've got to be kidding me.

I never said you were trying to hide anything nor do I hold anything against JetBlue or you in particular. No need to get defensive........yet.

I just find it curious that C54 made a comment about how the latest rounds of cuts at UAL, including loss of pensions and changes in work rules will "lower the proverbial bar" in the industry, and that in the next segment of the thread you comment that you "totally agree, that this will affect us all in a bad way."

Again, I hold no ill will against you or JetBlue. Business is business and right now JetBlue is successful. You guys are free to work for any wage you desire since we live in a free country.

However, how in the world can you, a JetBlue pilot, make a comment like that? UAL is cutting its work rules and cutting its pay so that we can compete with LCC's like JetBlue who have pilots who were willing to "lower the proverbial bar" in the first place? I mean, c'mon Dizel8. You guys are the ones pushing for things like exceeding 8 in 24, but only in "certain situations" that I'm sure will never be abused anywhere else in the industry when we're forced to compete. Have you seen your EMB190 rates? They're an absolute joke that the rest of the industry is going to be forced to match when you guys start flying them. What do you think 737/DC9/MD80/717 rates are going to be when you guys start flying 100 of those things around with $80/hr Captains flying 100 seat jets? And please don't tell me that your pay is low because you guys have only been around a few years- I'm looking at 10 year pay scales. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING when you comment on how UAL is lowering the bar.

I'm still waiting to hear who C54 works for.......

I don't think I ever said UAL is lowering the bar, but I also realize that we are more or less stuck in this together, whether we like it or not. When AA introduced B-scale a few airlines joined that party, amongst others NWA.

As for the pay on the 190, I am sure you know who drove that bus (no pun intended), a subsidiary of U that starts with M, of course, they in turn borrowed it from Eagle. Yes, there were indeed some rather harsh words exchanged at jetblue and we remain hopeful, that once the a/c proves itself that there will be a change.

Is the big reason at UAL employee cost or is it management blunders? I think the latter much more so than the former. Although, it must be said, that the contract of 2000, as much as I wish that would have been sustainable, was, well, unsustainable. I think it was perfect, almost, for that particular moment in time and it was partly a bribe to the UAL pilots to accept the merger with U.

Of course, airlines did go out of business or faced serious issues even before the LCC's showed up, such giants as Braniff, PAA, EAL, while other majors at the same time expanded. The problems and consequent ESOP at UAL were not caused by LCC's, but once again by managements blunders.

I would hope, that eventually jetblue, airtran and Frontier raises their pay to be on par with SWA,prferably even higher, however, it is also known, that they face problems since the majors are protecting marketshare at all cost, even if it means losing boatloads of money. I am sure you will find markets, where Frontier is priced higher than UAL, as I know both markets where DAL is cheaper than both Airtran and jetblue. That makes sense only if DAL can outlast either, otherwise they are throwing money into a hole.

Of course, I do not like seeing the employees at UAL get shafted by the company, as you well know, if one stays in this business for a bit, one ends up with friends all over the spectrum. If UAL managment had a plan, that would be great, but sadly it appears the only plan is to take more from you. Much like we see at U, who now is about the lowest paid pilots, if not employees, less than frontier, Airtran,jetblue and much less than SWA. Still, it does not seem the management at U has a plan, other than cutting untill they become profitable. I read someplace, that even if the employees worked for free over there, they would still lose money. If this is true, I do not know, but even if you do codeshare, the happenings at U may well affect the employees of UAL more than meets the eye.

Is there a better plan at UAL? Does Tilton have an idea for how UAL will compete in the future, other than doing what we have seen at U?

Do I want to see your retirement disappear, heck no, you worked hard for it and you signed a contract for the same. Conversely, do I believe that all that ails UAL is LCC's, heck no.

While we are at it, even if an area where the LCC's do not roam, ie across the atlantic, we are also seeing decreasing fares, although better than domestically. Just bought a ticket on a UAL codeshare over Christmas for $650, while a ticket over the Turkey day weekend domestically cost me $350. Now mind you, there is a lot more competetion on the $350 route, yet we both know, that the "pond" ticket should be higher.

Dizel8 said: "I don't think I ever said UAL is lowering the bar, but I also realize that we are more or less stuck in this together, whether we like it or not. When AA introduced B-scale a few airlines joined that party, amongst others NWA."

Um, no you didn't say it exactly. You just agreed with the guy who said UAL was. AA introduced the B-scale YEARS AND YEARS AGO and it took YEARS AND YEARS for the major airlines to recover from that blunder. Recently, the bar was lowered yet again as the LCC's gained a foothold and made a new B scale. I guess that's OK though because American did it a couple of decades ago.

Dizel8 said: "As for the pay on the 190, I am sure you know who drove that bus (no pun intended), a subsidiary of U that starts with M, of course, they in turn borrowed it from Eagle......."

Uh, you guys are driving the damn bus. Not Eagle. Not American. Not us. You guys. To blame Mid-Atlantic or ANYONE else for YOUR ridiculously low 100 seat jet rates is ludicrous. Mid-Atlantic is a subsidary of a bankrupt carrier that could not "lower its bar" fast enough to compete with you guys and others in the Northeast corridor. You guys could get the ball rolling to change the EMB 190 rates tomorrow if you wanted to. You won't. And I can't wait for that 8 and 24 rule to change. Thanks JetBlue. Generations of airline management will be grateful for your efforts in that endeavor.

As far as the rest of your post, I really don't care why you think UAL is where it is today. And if you think the LCC's have little or nothing to do with what's going on in the industry right now, I think just about every airline industry analyst and professional begs to differ with your opinion. LCC's are setting the fares right now, we just match them and we hope that we can get a few business people-types to bring yields up a bit. If JetBlue and the other LCC's raised their transcon fares or their Orlando fares or there wherever fares tomorrow, EVERYONE would match. You know that. I know that.

Again, the LCC's are not a "problem" as far as the airline industry is concerned. We live in a capitalistic country and the weak die and the strong survive. The point is that you and C54 were commenting on how the bar is being lowered by UAL, when it was the likes of your airline and similar that are CURRENTLY holding all the cards and have set the low bar that we have to meet, and now duck under since we're in bankruptcy. And as I mentioned previously, expect the bar to be lowered again in the up and coming years. Narrowbody rates will be going in the toilet once you guys start flying those EMB 190's around in any significant number.

The JB pilots are no different than any of the others. It's "I got mine, and screw you." The early JB coolaid drinkers got quick upgrades to Captain, so did pretty well as opposed to sitting as as FO at AA for 12 years. And that's exactly the same reason they don't care if Needleman sets 90 seat rates at $30 an hour. To them, it's someone else's problem, not theirs.

I don't think that UAL is lowering the bar at all. As a matter of fact I think that during the EFLOP when UniTED made 8B in profits that it was time for a little pay back. As ALWAYS though UniTED management didn't see it that way and reluctantly held back as long as possible in sharing in the employees EFLOP sacrifices. EVEN though with the EFLOP agreement they PROMISED the employees that they would have seamless contracts in 2000. THEY LIED, tried to blame the past management when really all they were trying to do was to keep the employees from sharing in the good days from 96-00.

I don't know what the pilots at F9, JB, or Air TRAN make. But I know that their mechanic ranks are making what the legacy guys are making. I know that I get paid MORE than an MOC guy at UniTED working for F9. The LCC's are here to stay, some like to work for an employer that truly looks to its employees to make it a success. Unlike USAIR and UniTED who harass, intimidate, threaten, and expect their employees to take it in the shorts when their management skill is what killed those air lines in the first place.

So in a nut shell UAL driver, I don't think it is right what UniTED management is asking the employee groups to do to save them from their own blunders. And I don't think it would be fair to blame the LCC'S if you lose your job because of those blunders. You go ahead and do all you can to save UniTED! But till they get rid of the top 200 management folks, remember that things will NEVER change at UniTED.

The next few months will be VERY interesting for both U and UniTED. If the contracts there are abrogated, I don't see employees sticking around to support the management at either carrier. Remember that analysts are still predicting the demise of SEVERAL Legacy Carriers in 2005. While the LCC's will continue to prosper and get even more market share.

Well, it appears I used the wrong words to convey what I meant to say. I do not think UAL is "lowering" the bar and I find it sad, that the UAL employees have to give further. In addition, I think this may affect more than just the UAL employees.

"If JetBlue and the other LCC's raised their transcon fares or their Orlando fares or there wherever fares tomorrow, EVERYONE would match. You know that. I know that."

Actually no, in many markets jetblue is priced higher than Song, DAL does not match the fares. If Frontier raised the fares tomorrow, I doubt you would see Ted match, since from reading several posters, Ted is meant to take business away from Frontier. Personally, I think only of one airline has some pricing power, SWA, and even that is doubtful when it comes to raising fares.

Even the legacies are going for eachothers throat, NWA continues to resist raising the fares and has been the spoiler just about every time an attempt has been made.

"To blame Mid-Atlantic or ANYONE else for YOUR ridiculously low 100 seat jet rates is ludicrous".

Well, not sure if that I agree, since whether or not U is in Ch.11, they are still a competetitor, of course, if U should have no influence on jetblue pay as you postulate, then we could say, that the pay at jetblue should not affect you.

As for why UAL is here, well, if you don't care, what can I say. However, if you think UAL is where it is, simply because of LCC's, paticularily since jetblue for one, had less than 15 airplanes when the paint started to crack at UAL, well then more power to you.

To surmise, again I think it is sad, that the UAL employees are facing further cuts!

Latest posts