Paycuts did save Continental...

traderjake

Veteran
Aug 30, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[BR]Paycuts did save Continental and the jobs of the TWA employees working at American. Those on this board who keep repeating the mantra Paycuts never saved an airline are wrong.

Paycuts DID NOT save CAL! They flew in chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for several years in the late 1980's and 1990's.This gave them a huge advantage over their competetion.Wage concessions may have had a slight contribution to the operating cost but was not deciding factor.The list of failed airlines who obtained wage concessions before their demise is too long for this post.People had better do their history homework before even considering wage concessions!

Paycuts DID NOT save CAL! They flew in chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for several years in the late 1980's and 1990's.This gave them a huge advantage over their competetion.Wage concessions may have had a slight contribution to the operating cost but was not deciding factor.The list of failed airlines who obtained wage concessions before their demise is too long for this post.People had better do their history homework before even considering wage concessions!

[SPAN class=BodyFont]1982 Lorenzo and Wolf declare BK and abrogate all contracts layoff thousands, break the unions. [BR]CO files BK again in the 90's, those were not paycuts and concessions, the employees were non-union and the company did as they saw fit to slash and burn.[BR][BR]Because of CO's filing in 1982, Congress enacted section 1113 of the BK code to stop a company to use BK to break the unions.[BR][/SPAN][BR][BR]TWA employees gave concession FOUR times and now they are all going to be laid off by AA. TWA does not exist anymore.

[SPAN class=BodyFont]1982 Lorenzo and Wolf declare BK and abrogate all contracts layoff thousands, break the unions. [BR]CO files BK again in the 90's, those were not paycuts and concessions, the employees were non-union and the company did as they saw fit to slash and burn.[BR][BR]Because of CO's filing in 1982, Congress enacted section 1113 of the BK code to stop a company to use BK to break the unions.[BR][/SPAN][BR][BR]TWA employees gave concession FOUR times and now they are all going to be laid off by AA. TWA does not exist anymore.

They sad I was a bad boy, lol.[BR][BR]The fact is the TWA employees the few that were still employed got the royal shaft. A 30 year lead mechanic at TWA was making less then a utility person at US. AA stapled them to the bottom of the seniority list except at STL and MCI. TWA was a shell of a company with thousands all ready laid off and not AA does the coup de gra and axes the rest of them.

They sad I was a bad boy, lol.[BR][BR]The fact is the TWA employees the few that were still employed got the royal shaft. A 30 year lead mechanic at TWA was making less then a utility person at US. AA stapled them to the bottom of the seniority list except at STL and MCI. TWA was a shell of a company with thousands all ready laid off and not AA does the coup de gra and axes the rest of them.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 7:20:18 AM Biffeman wrote:
TWA employees gave concession FOUR times and now they are all going to be laid off by AA. TWA does not exist anymore.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Would they be better off if they had all been laid off years ago?

[blockquote]
----------------
TWA employees gave concession FOUR times and now they are all going to be laid off by AA. TWA does not exist anymore.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Hey biffe,what did you do with Lakeguy and LDKIAM?I think next week you should be Boofeman.

Hey biffe,what did you do with Lakeguy and LDKIAM?I think next week you should be Boofeman.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 7:56:31 AM TomBascom wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
----------------
[/blockquote]

They could have got jobs at US.....oops....I meant SWA!!
11.gif']

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/5/2002 7:56:31 AM TomBascom wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
----------------
[/blockquote]

They could have got jobs at US.....oops....I meant SWA!!
11.gif']