Pension Relief Passes Senate

UnitedChicago

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Keep you fingers crossed that W will sign - he's expected to.

Not out of the woods yet - but not a bad 2 weeks: bond resolution on 4/5 airports, solution for ACA feed, and pension relief.

They're poised now for a formal decision from the ATSB. Keep fingers crossed.

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate passed 78-19 Thursday legislation that will save businesses at least $80 billion in pension contributions over the next two years.

Airlines, steel companies, and Greyhound buslines would get an additional break from pension contributions of at least $1.6 billion under the bill, which President George W. Bush is expected to sign.

The bill allows businesses to use - until 2006 - a blend of long-term corporate bonds as a benchmark in calculating future pension liabilities, instead of the lower rate set by the 30-year Treasury bond, which the government stop issuing in 2001.

The rate was made more generous than one originally proposed by the Senate by allowing upper-medium-grade bonds, instead of only high-grade bonds, in the index.

As of Wednesday, Moody's Investors Services' unweighted average of long-term corporate yields on AAA, AA and A bonds was 5.89%, compared to its unweighted average of long-term corporate yields on AAA and AA bonds of 5.78%.

The rate on the 30-year bond Wednesday was 5.01%.

Earlier this year, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation estimated that allowing businesses to use an index of high-grade corporate bonds - instead of the 30-year Treasury bond - would save $80 billion in pension contributions over the next two years.

The Bush Administration and several key lawmakers would like businesses to use a more conservative benchmark in the long run, but agreed that the more generous benchmark was appropriate for the next two years given the uncertain state of the economy.

A temporary benchmark replacement expired in December, and on April 15 businesses will have to make quarterly contributions based upon the 30-year bond rate unless the bill is signed into law.

While a number of veto threats had loomed over the bill for the last seven months, the White House has said Bush will sign this version of the bill.

Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee Chairman Judd Gregg, R-N.H., said the legislation will allow an extra $80 billion to be invested in new equipment, new hires, and the like instead of being "misallocated within the market place" into already adequately funded pension funds.

The legislation split Democrats. Some backed the bill, while others argued that it had done too little to help union-sponsored pension plans hit by sagging interest rates and market losses.

Union-sponsored, or multiemployer plans, are jointly managed by unions and employers and typically cover people who don't work for the same company on a day-to-day basis, such as carpenters and truckers.

Multiemployer plans are subject to different funding rules than single employer plans and wouldn't benefit from the move away from the 30-year Treasury bond as a benchmark.

The bill would allow a small percentage of multiemployer plans to put off, for two years, increased contributions required to make up for market losses in 2002. But in the third year, they would be required to make up those foregone contributions with a lump sum payment.

According to the Segal Group Inc. (XSG.XX), less than 1% of the nation's 1,600 multiemployers would qualify for the break. Even fewer might decide the break is worth taking, said Judith Mazo, vice president of the pension consulting firm.

Democrats wanted the break to go to 20% of multiemployer plans, but the White House objected and Congressional Republicans used their majority control to override Democratic objections.

One of the bill's negotiators, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., wanted more relief for multiemployer plans, but voted for the bill anyway.

"It is the best solution we can come up with that will pass by April 15," Baucus said.

Both single-employer and multiemployer pension plans are under pressure from the economy, said Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.

"The question is whether we are going to treat all employees equally," Kennedy said.

Kennedy and other Democrats accused the White House of having an anti-union bias.

"These are the workers you see on the top of the buildings...the workers you see working in the ditch, Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., said. She said they are the people the White House "doesn't like, doesn't want to help, or doesn't (believe) needs help."

Gregg said union members are covered by many of the single-employer plans helped by changing the 30-year Treasury bond as a benchmark.

Gregg noted that the United Auto Workers and other many other unions are backing the bill.

Bill Includes Special Break For Airlines, Steel
The bill will also give added relief to the single-employer pension plans sponsored by the troubled airline and steel industries.

Those industries will be given a two-year holiday from the steeply accelerated pension contributions required of seriously underfunded pension plans.

Unlike the break for multi-employer plans, businesses who use the holiday wouldn't be required to make a lump sum payment of the foregone contributions.

The funding holiday is expected to benefit Inland Steel, AK Steel Holding Corp. (AKS) and iron ore miner Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. (CLF). The PBGC estimates the break will save the companies about $300 million over the next two years.

The airline provision will benefit UAL Corp. (UALAQ), parent of United Airlines, American Airlines parent AMR Corp. (AMR), Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL), Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWAC) and Continental Airlines Inc. (CAL). Those companies stand to save about $1.3 billion, PBGC estimates.

The bill would also give Greyhound Lines Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Laidlaw International Inc. (LI), a reprieve on pension contributions to the Amalgamated Transit Union Plan.

-By John Godfrey, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-6601; [email protected]

This is awesome news!!!!

Thanks to all who participated in the grassroots campaign. Excellent job!

I wonder how avek00 and USA320pilot will spin this? If I'm not mistaken, they were the ones claiming that pension relief will never pass and UA will not be able to resolve it's issues.

UnitedChicago, you are so right. With the passage of this bill, the muncipal bond issues mostly resolved, the ACA issue resloved, and the 1110 process winding down, we are now approaching the end game.

Let's all keep up the good work, and prove the naysayers wrong! :up:

Bring on the naysayers! Bunch of schmucks. :)

P.S. USA320pilot is busy trying to incite a mutiny within U ALPA. Maybe he'll be too busy to bother with us.

Good stuff! I'm very happy for you all - the other alternative was not good for anyone.

:up:

Off to Austin for a meeting next week on the wings of AirWis ORD-AUS and Mesa AUS-ORD. My first exposure to Mesa and the 70 seater. Hoping to spot the new livery at ORD.

No need for spin here - I'll be the first to jump on the UAL bandwagon if and when the airline can actually produce a sustainable profit model instead of implementing biz strategies that merely seek to delay the inevitable for a few more years.

avek00 said:
No need for spin here - I'll be the first to jump on the UAL bandwagon if and when the airline can actually produce a sustainable profit
Well, in that case we'll leave room for you on the bandwagon. As soon as UA can emerge and rid itself of the hefty lawyer's fees and BK expenses, I think you'll be surprised how quickly UA will rise to profitablility.

767jetz said:
Well, in that case we'll leave room for you on the bandwagon. As soon as UA can emerge and rid itself of the hefty lawyer's fees and BK expenses, I think you'll be surprised how quickly UA will rise to profitablility.
You mean that UA will start posting profits once it has to start servicing its debt again?

737nCH11 said:
P.S. USA320pilot is busy trying to incite a mutiny within U ALPA. Maybe he'll be too busy to bother with us.
He wasn't THAT busy. He got me banned from the boards for a day for (gasp) using his real name ... the same name that he used for years as his ID on this board.

avek00 said:
You mean that UA will start posting profits once it has to start servicing its debt again?
I give up. :rolleyes:

I guess it's impossible to say anything positive to you, or for you to respond in kind.

Please excuse me if I just ignore you from now on. :down:

Enjoy your pessimistic life...

Over and out!

This is good news.
How will this affect contributions from employees and retired? Will the company still want to have all share more of the cost for pension and benefits?

One more bit of good news for United this week, from a San Francisco Chronicle article dated yesterday. An agreement was reached with SFO to extend all leases (terminal, maintenance base, air cargo facility, flight kitchen, etc.) through at least 2011, with an option to extend the leases through 2023. In return, United will repay about $10 million in overdue rent over the next three years (@ 2.5% interest).

Some interesting quotes from the article:

Airport and airline spokespeople said the deal will give SFO the long- term stability and money it needs from its major tenant, and provide United the wiggle room it needs at SFO, an international gateway it uses as a passenger hub and prime maintenance center.

"It's a very strong sign of United's commitment to San Francisco,'' said the airport's director, John Martin. "The fact they were willing to assume all of their long-term leases is a positive sign. Overall, it's a good deal for the city and the airport.''

"SFO is an important hub for us,'' said United spokesman Stephan Roth. "We have a lot invested there, and we're looking to continue. We're very pleased. It's a mutually beneficial agreement.''

Forging an agreement with United, which has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since December 2002, was not a given, said Deputy City Attorney Adrienne Go, who helped negotiate for the city-owned airport.

City and airport officials, she said, saw what happened in Pittsburgh, where US Airways, which also went into Chapter 11 , refused to honor its airport leases. Anxious San Francisco officials didn't want that to happen here, Go said.
You can read more details about this agreement, which is still subject to final city and bankruptcy court approval in the next week, here.

:up: All really wonderful news!! At the same time the employees qualified for first quarter profit sharing payment. OUTSTANDING performance and customer service folks. My hats off to everyone. :up:

IFlyJetz....the same thing happened to me. I got a suspension warning for using his name so I quickly deleted the post.