Pet Peeve

USCREW

Veteran
What are your thoughts on pets in the cabin?

Here is a letter that was recently written by one of our F/As to AFA:

Bob, I have already written to ask inflight numerous times this year about this and I actually spoke with Kurt on the phone today, but I wanted to send you an email as well since you're my favorite and I love you to death (How's that for buttering you up!). I have had more problems with pets this year and it seems it is becoming worse. I won't even go into that "emotional well being animal" rule, what crap. I have seen pets on laps, asleep on chests, growling and barking at me and others, in and out of carriers some that are faux purses. I guess it's the Paris Hilton effect. Our aircraft have become out of control kennels. I even had a first class pax hold his "baby" over the first class toilet so he could urinate. When that didn't work, he placed a pee pad on the floor with the door open (he asked me if he could do this in the galley) and told his baby, "come on precious, potty for Daddy." I do not make this up. Anyway Bob, its crazy out of control. Now listen, I have a dog and I am a huge dog lover, but our policy is either not working, or the rules are not being stressed, or reviewed enough before they board. I don't even believe an agent boarding could tell, because the bags they use don't look like dog carriers. I have spoken with numerous fa's and we are all noticing the problem growing, especially this year. Maybe we need to revisit the policy before someone gets hurt or bitten. Can we just not allow pets at all? That would truly solve this issue.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and I hope to see you soon.

R.S. #xxxxx DCA

What are your thoughts on pets in the cabin?

Here is a letter that was recently written by one of our F/As to AFA:

Bob, I have already written to ask inflight numerous times this year about this and I actually spoke with Kurt on the phone today, but I wanted to send you an email as well since you're my favorite and I love you to death (How's that for buttering you up!). I have had more problems with pets this year and it seems it is becoming worse. I won't even go into that "emotional well being animal" rule, what crap. I have seen pets on laps, asleep on chests, growling and barking at me and others, in and out of carriers some that are faux purses. I guess it's the Paris Hilton effect. Our aircraft have become out of control kennels. I even had a first class pax hold his "baby" over the first class toilet so he could urinate. When that didn't work, he placed a pee pad on the floor with the door open (he asked me if he could do this in the galley) and told his baby, "come on precious, potty for Daddy." I do not make this up. Anyway Bob, its crazy out of control. Now listen, I have a dog and I am a huge dog lover, but our policy is either not working, or the rules are not being stressed, or reviewed enough before they board. I don't even believe an agent boarding could tell, because the bags they use don't look like dog carriers. I have spoken with numerous fa's and we are all noticing the problem growing, especially this year. Maybe we need to revisit the policy before someone gets hurt or bitten. Can we just not allow pets at all? That would truly solve this issue.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and I hope to see you soon.

R.S. #xxxxx DCA
I would have 10 pets in the cabin than snot nosed kids going to MCO that spill drinks, cry and tear paper only to throw it on the floor with crushed up cookies...and parents that have no clue...pets rule and at least the pay 80.00 for the ride...unlike some brat that gets a free lap ride...

I have some parrots and I fly with them sometimes. I would never put a bird down below, they're too fragile and could be hurt easily and would get cold, I'd rather drive 12 hours than worry about one of my birds safety on a plane in the cargo bin. I think they should be allowed on board. Atleast they don't smell (well they smell like fruit actually if you do give them a sniff but thats cause they mostly eat pellet and fruits) and and when they have to go that doesn't smell bad either.

They are for the most part very quiet when you darken their kennel carrier by covering it with something. One parrot will ask me "what are you doing?" every now and then if he get's woken up but he usually says that phrase when he wants to say hello and hear me answer him.... I think it's his way of asking are you still there. I'll say to him " I'm here, what are you doing?" and he'll usually say " I don't know" or something funny...... It's funny though cause one time when I was flying someone near me started laughing and my parrot started laughing from his kennel and the people stopped and looked around cause they didn't know he was under their seat it was an hour into the 2 hour flight and he'd been quiet the whole way. I had to show him to them cause they were curious and his laugh sounds really cute....

I think they're not nearly as bad as dogs or cats when it comes to bothering other people unless they're very allergic to feathers and my birds are'nt the dusty type (some parrots like cockatoo's give off a lot of dust that keeps their feathers healthy); my roomate has slight to moderate ahsthma problems and they don't bother her at all but I run an air purifier for her sake anyway.

DoUgIe's rules!

No more checked pets. Animals can't be checked
baggage anymore. They can't be sent as PPK or
Freight either. Passengers have to be more creative
now to get them on board. Yesterday a passenger was
seen by a member of my gate team with a full size fully
clipped poodle on a leash with "working dog" draped across
its back. He said there were no indications that the owner
was blind.

I say ban pets from the cabin. I get a mild reaction from cats.

Twice (no sure if on US or not) I have seen small dogs walking around the cabin.

It is not right to require the majority of the passengers to put up with peoples pets, when they don't follow the rules. let alone be too big for the rules.

I had a girl sneak her puppy on the plane one time. I thought I heard a crying sound coming from her duffle bag when she walked on the plane but since it was noisy and I wasn't sure the other flight attendant and I just brushed it off. Then, when we got off the plane after the flight, we saw the girl get the puppy out of the duffle bag, put it on a leash, and she walked off. I thought that was soooooo cruel to the puppy and how dare her do such a thing!

I've also seen passengers hold their "babies" in their laps and they get mad when you tell them to put them up. They don't understand the risks involved and even though I like animals I am not going to be the one to chase down and catch their pet while it's running through the cabin. I don't want to risk getting bit. They don't pay me enough for that!

Its very common for passengers to bring on thier pet in a carrier/bag that looks like a purse and I see them as they board..interesting I look at the manifest/with seats list and see NO cabin pets listed..so many smuggle them on and do not pay, or have medical documentation from a vet showing its healthy to be on the airplane!

I swear there have to be no pets left in TPA this weekend. I had 7 yesterday and 3 today and I wasnt even in the ticketing line today. Almost every flight had 3 listed from here. Whats worse is the 2 I had yesterday that didnt know they had to have reservations for the pets and had to be rebooked. (Oh and dont forget the guy with the squaking bird that left it on the floor at the checkin counter because he didnt want to pay for it). I know the pets bring in the bucks, but they are (often) a problem from the get go. Dont try to tell someone that the german shepherd is too big for the sherpa bag and anyone who gets their dr to write them a "comfort pet" letter seems to get to take it on for free. Dont dare ask or they'll ADA you up and down. Its starting to get out of control.

A flight attendant told me a story the other day about his flight. It was a red-eye flight and it was a light load and everyone was sleeping the whole flight so the cabin was pretty dark well about 1/2 into the flight this call bell goes off - and the F/A goes to get it - here sits a little old lady and she says can you please take this - it's a cat on her lap - and not hers - needless to say the F/A doesn't like cats but picks it up by the arm pits and tries to lock it in the lav - but it escapes and another F/A finds it under some seats and then this other lady claims her cat like it was no big deal. I mean how does a cat get out of the bag in the first place let alone roam the cabin and sit on random passengers laps. This lady had a sense of humor because I would have been ticked if I woke up and there was a cat on my lap during the flight. Just thought I would share - it was a lot funnier the way the F/A told the story.

Although I agree that pets should not be carried in the cabin unless they truly ARE a working animal, it's not a matter of LCC rules when it comes to the animal staying in the carrier or not. It's a Federal Air Regulation (FAR, for those who don't know :lol: ). By the way, I took Psychology 101 in college. You will never convince me that the snake is a comfort animal.

We seem to have very few sneaked on board at AA. I think the agents have been told to be on the lookout for oversize "purses" that bark. :rolleyes: I did have to threaten one lady with an Inflight Disturbance Report to the DOT if she didn't put the friggin' dog back in the carrier. She started to protest, and I simply asked for her driver's license and boarding pass to fill out my report.

She glared at me and demanded my name. I pointed out that my name (first and last) was on my name badge on my shirt. I told her, "In your complaint letter, be sure and mention that the reason we were having this conversation is because you did not wish to comply with Federal law because that will be in my report. It will be best if our stories agree." :lol: She put the dog back in the carrier and it stayed there for the rest of the flight. (I did not get a complaint letter BTW).

Its very common for passengers to bring on thier pet in a carrier/bag that looks like a purse and I see them as they board..interesting I look at the manifest/with seats list and see NO cabin pets listed..so many smuggle them on and do not pay, or have medical documentation from a vet showing its healthy to be on the airplane!
For whatever reason they don't have to have the documentation anymore. Atl least that's what I was told the last time( 3 months ago) that I flew with my chihuahua (who by the way has manners and stays in her kennel).

Pet Travel Rules: US Airways
PETS AS CHECKED BAGGAGE OR IN CARGO

US Airways NO LONGER accepts pets as Cargo or as Checked Baggage except for non-stop US Airways Shuttle flights in the BOS/DCA/LGA markets only. Connections are not permitted.

PETS IN THE CABIN

Carry-on pets are allowed on the flight with the customer for an extra $80 charge each way and limited to small domestic dogs, cats, household birds and household tropical fish, which are considered to be traditional household pets. Note: If the itinerary includes a code-share flight operated by United, check with the originating carrier regarding carry-on pet policies and fees.

Fee charges will be applied for each one-way journey from your origination to the final destination.
Carry-on pets are not allowed on transatlantic flights. Carry-on animals must be harmless, inoffensive, odorless and require no attention during the flight. They must pose no hazard to the safety of any customer and the container must pose no hazard to the safety or comfort of the animal. The animal must remain in the container under the seat in front of the customer at all times during the flight. The maximum size for a cabin kennel is 21" x 16" x 8" for hard-sided and 21" x 16" x 10" for soft-sided. The cabin kennel must be large enough for the pet to stand, sit and lie down when the container is closed.

On US Airways jet flights, carry-on pet acceptance is limited to one pet in the First Class cabin and two pets in the Coach Class cabin. US Airways Express flights limit carry-on pet acceptance to one pet per flight. Only one pet is accepted per container per customer. Carry-on pets do require advance reservations. To book a pet reservation, call US Airways Reservations at 1-800-428-4322.

Note: Explosive-detection, rescue and service animals are not considered pets. These animals are carried in the cabin at no charge.

Required Documents For International Travel.
Most countries have very strict entry restrictions for dogs and cats. Health certificates and rabies vaccinations are the most common requirements. The UK and Ireland do not allow the transport of dogs and cats in the Cabin. Failure to follow import regulations for pets can result in the pets being placed in quarantine an extended period of time or, in some cases, destroyed upon arrival.

Contact Info:
Reservations: 800 245-4882
Cargo: 888 300-0099
http://www.usairways.com/customers/travel_policies/pets/

During periods of very hot or very cold weather the airline may require an ACCLIMATION CERTIFICATE. You can order this form online for $5.50 in our store.

Latest posts