PFAA To "Affiliate" With TWU

Wings

Oct 30, 2004
To AA employees:

The AA FAs need not worry about a merger with NWA FAs ....

It would seem that our union officials at PFAA have their own personal agendas in mind now that they have announced an "affiliation" (just call it what it IS - a merger) with the TWU, pending a membership vote, of course.

What is so disturbing about this is that we are literally days away from the NMB certifying our representational election with AFA. It was supposed to be announced this week, but then on April 28, PFAA petitioned the NMB for a thirty day delay of the election. The NMB gave all parties til 4 PM on May 2 to file appropriate statements and they are reviewing the request. In the meantime, the election is in limbo. The NWA FAs believe this move by the PFAA was to stall while they worked out the details of a merger with another union (other than AFA).

While the representational election will probably still take place, some AFA votes will no doubt be lost to the TWU. And I think we all realize what a "third party" vote can do in a state-wide or national election to split the vote - it could be equally devastating in a representational campaign.

Last fall many of you posted information about TWU when their interest in the NWA FAs came to light. Six months have past and there have been changes within the TWU.

Could some of you AGAIN post facts and the most recent information about the TWU, as well as your opinions?

50% +1 of the NWA FAs signed cards for AFA representation and our union (it appears) is selling us out ....

Any information or help (regarding the PFAA-TWU move) would be greatly appreciated!!

nwawings

To AA employees:

The AA FAs need not worry about a merger with NWA FAs ....

It would seem that our union officials at PFAA have their own personal agendas in mind now that they have announced an "affiliation" (just call it what it IS - a merger) with the TWU, pending a membership vote, of course.

What is so disturbing about this is that we are literally days away from the NMB certifying our representational election with AFA. It was supposed to be announced this week, but then on April 28, PFAA petitioned the NMB for a thirty day delay of the election. The NMB gave all parties til 4 PM on May 2 to file appropriate statements and they are reviewing the request. In the meantime, the election is in limbo. The NWA FAs believe this move by the PFAA was to stall while they worked out the details of a merger with another union (other than AFA).

While the representational election will probably still take place, some AFA votes will no doubt be lost to the TWU. And I think we all realize what a "third party" vote can do in a state-wide or national election to split the vote - it could be equally devastating in a representational campaign.

Last fall many of you posted information about TWU when their interest in the NWA FAs came to light. Six months have past and there have been changes within the TWU.

Could some of you AGAIN post facts and the most recent information about the TWU, as well as your opinions?

50% +1 of the NWA FAs signed cards for AFA representation and our union (it appears) is selling us out ....

Any information or help (regarding the PFAA-TWU move) would be greatly appreciated!!

nwawings

If your union officials are "selling you out",why haven't PFAA members recalled them as per the PFAA constitution? As far as the TWU goes, it is still rotten to the core at the International level. Jim Little is now President even though he gave away the biggest,worst concessions in labor history to AA. The TWU could be fixing to have internal civil war with Local 100 breaking off to go it's separate ways. The TWU international is controlled by the corporate crooks and they only want your dues money to continue their lavish lifestyles and perks.

If your union officials are "selling you out",why haven't PFAA members recalled them as per the PFAA constitution? As far as the TWU goes, it is still rotten to the core at the International level. Jim Little is now President even though he gave away the biggest,worst concessions in labor history to AA. The TWU could be fixing to have internal civil war with Local 100 breaking off to go it's separate ways. The TWU international is controlled by the corporate crooks and they only want your dues money to continue their lavish lifestyles and perks.

Princess:

Recalling our executive board members is easier said than done ....

And we already have alot on our plates right now - including an NMB representational vote with AFA, a vote on our TA that begins on Saturday (May 7), and now this merger with TWU.

Since PFAA is associated with McCormick, isn't their constitution more or less a photocopy of AMFA's? If so, I'd expect all of the pro-AMFA people to be in a bit of a tizzy over this...

If your union officials are "selling you out",why haven't PFAA members recalled them as per the PFAA constitution?
Doesn't matter if its NWA, AA or any other carrier, flight attendants are good at complaining and back seat negotiating. Few if any are willing to take the time and the toll to step up and make a difference. Case in point WING says with the heavy burden of having to cast 3 votes over the next few weeks there is just no way to go after a leadership they feel ha failed.

TWU or AFA-CWA what is the difference? We know TWU to be wholly corrupt and AFA-CWA not any brighter. The union is a known blow hard as we saw with U and UAL all talk and no bite. They nearly put themselves out of business trying on multiple occasions in trying to organize a carrier that wasn't interested in them. They are good at making threats about CHAOS, picking movies that don't play up the glamour of the FA job. But when push comes to shove, they are lock behind a do not disturb door. You are not going to get anything from either except a new address to send your dues dollars to. Both TWU and AFA are drooling over the 8000 people paying them monthly to continue to sit on there collective butts

What will you get by joining either over the PFAA? Nothing.

NWA flight attendants want to make a difference vote PFAA stop complaining and get involved.

Since PFAA is associated with McCormick, isn't their constitution more or less a photocopy of AMFA's? If so, I'd expect all of the pro-AMFA people to be in a bit of a tizzy over this...
Last I checked, PFAA has not been associated with McCormick since they got on the property. Not sure of the exact date they were shown the door, but they were.

NWA flight attendants want to make a difference vote PFAA stop complaining and get involved.

Very true, this is a group of F/A's that voted to cross the mechanics picket line and are now complaining that their union doesn't act like a union. It's one thing to be ordered by union leadership, a judge, or whomever else to cross a picket line, but for members to vote to cross, come on - are they sure they even want a union? Maybe the twu would be a good choice.

Last I checked, PFAA has not been associated with McCormick since they got on the property. Not sure of the exact date they were shown the door, but they were.
Very true, this is a group of F/A's that voted to cross the mechanics picket line and are now complaining that their union doesn't act like a union. It's one thing to be ordered by union leadership, a judge, or whomever else to cross a picket line, but for members to vote to cross, come on - are they sure they even want a union? Maybe the twu would be a good choice.

The NWA FAs received three separate emails from NWA management days before the AMFA strike saying we would be fired if we honored their strike.

In addition, NWA had hired and trained replacement FAs who were strategically placed in hotels around the NWA system to go online immediately ....

What would we have accomplished when NWA was prepared to replace us as well (other than to lose our jobs and not be able to collect unemployment - which was NWA's goal)?

Our pilot group is the only employee group that seems to have any clout around here and they chose twice to not walk out (during the AMFA strike and now by voting FOR their TA). I might add that they are also campaigning FOR the passage of our TA .... had our pilots chosen to walk off the job last August, the FAs probably would have supported them, and a different outcome might have occurred.

I will assume that you don't work for NWA and have no idea what our management team is capable of doing .... we continue to be a thorn in NWA's side right now (they would have LOVED to see the NWA FAs walk off the job last August along with AMFA) and it looks like our group may vote the TA down. We are doing the best we can to stand up to management at this time.

Our union, however, seems to be working with NWA to totally destroy our group and any solidarity that has been formed at the present time .... like I said earlier, to protect their own self-interests.

Our union, however, seems to be working with NWA to totally destroy our group and any solidarity that has been formed at the present time .... like I said earlier, to protect their own self-interests.

Just wait until you get the TWU.

YOU WONT EVEN GET A VOTE TO SHOW SOLIDARITY.

YOU WILL GET "WITHOUT FURTHER RATIFICATION" AGREEMENT.

I believe some of the older FAs remember why they left the TWU. Ask one.
TWA FA's left the TWU in 1978 or 79 after being forced to put a tentative agreement out to vote that our negotiating team thought wasn't good enough. The contract passed, but left many of us feeling we weren't in control of our own affairs, so the drive for independence was fueled. IFFA, the Independent Federation of Flight Attendants, was the result.

MK

I believe some of the older FAs remember why they left the TWU. Ask one.

I remembered hearing that AA FAs left TWU (and formed APFA) and the former Pan Am FAs left TWU, as well. However, I didn't realize (or remember) that TWU also represented TWA at one time. Perhaps that was before my time (hired in '78 at North Central Airlines)?

Anyway, if some of the more senior AA or former TWA FAs could comment on the reasons for deserting TWU representation, the NWA FAs would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!

We need all the help we can get to defeat this move by PFAA to merge with TWU ....

The TWU and AFA see you all as one thing. $$$$$

We left the TWU in 77. TWU didn't understand the dynamics and uniqueness of the job. They resented the idea of women in leadership rolls and saw us as dues dollars and numbers for strength.
's.

TWA, PAA, and AA flight attendants all formed independent unions. They all knew the strength of leading your own destiny.