PHL Expansion Plans

Here is a good summary article on WN's plans for PHL this year - with a Spring announcement of new routes:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/16484654.htm
A East? WOW!, I always thought it was A West but AA also won't be too happy. DL just probably needs two gates anyway. ATL 1 gate SLC/CVG? 1 Part Time. JFK is a commuter so that they can park in between gates. Or push that over to Terminal F like all the RJ's and Props should be in the first place beside US'. What about USA 3000? they use 1-2 A East gates. I know AA has a few too many, but they need at least 4 gates. I guess they can squeeze DL in.

Well DL has 7 or 8 daily Non-stops to ATL, 1 or 2 (depending on season) to SLC and 6 or 7 to CVG, including a 738. So 2 gates would be a virtual impossibility.

I personally don't see how this will work in the long term for anyone except WN. What will US do next Spring (2008) when they want to add 3 more international flights - which they have already indicated? Guess the thought is US will acquire DL and the problem will disappear, or they'll start using mobile lounges. Actually, A-East will become a hodge podge of airlines, with the last international carrier to do so (BA), moving to A-West very soon. In hindsight, the design of A-West was way too small and will probably limit the international expansion at PHL.

Well DL has 7 or 8 daily Non-stops to ATL, 1 or 2 (depending on season) to SLC and 6 or 7 to CVG, including a 738. So 2 gates would be a virtual impossibility.
2 Gates is DL would need, 1 for ATL and the other SLC/CVG/JFK
738 to CVG leaves at 6:15a
737/757 to SLC is a 7:30a
738/757 to SLC is 5pm

There are several RJ's to CVG and DH8 to JFK, could use stairs. 7:30-4pm that 2nd gate is idle. The one gate would be a dedicated ATL, the most congestion would be the AM push, but after 7:30a its plentiful.

2 Gates is DL would need, 1 for ATL and the other SLC/CVG/JFK
738 to CVG leaves at 6:15a
737/757 to SLC is a 7:30a
738/757 to SLC is 5pm

There are several RJ's to CVG and DH8 to JFK, could use stairs. 7:30-4pm that 2nd gate is idle. The one gate would be a dedicated ATL, the most congestion would be the AM push, but after 7:30a its plentiful.

1 Gate for ATL - not likely. You seem to ignore the Arriving Flights and the current DL schedules to/from PHL. Plus the fact that with one gate, you'd have monumental problems if just one inbound or outbound flight was delayed even 1 hour.

1 Gate for ATL - not likely. You seem to ignore the Arriving Flights and the current DL schedules to/from PHL. Plus the fact that with one gate, you'd have monumental problems if just one inbound or outbound flight was delayed even 1 hour.
There is the 2nd gate, the only time problem would be between 4p-5p for the 2nd gate. 6 AM flight is the only mainline to CVG then 7am to SLC 1 gate, The RJ's and the DH8 to JFK can use the steps at A2 and there is room for them between A2 and A14. If they have 2 ATL flights there is that 2nd gate available after 7am. The only snag is between 4p-5p. but maybe they could share another gate if there is a backlog at that time. For DL to have 3 gates ties up a gate that can be used for others.

A East gates are common use gates anyway.
I think/thought we already assumed that. Common Use does not mean a free for all. It's an allocation of time placed on an airline for gate/ticketing use, based on aircraft size and is pre-scheduled by the airline with the airport. That is why Delta needs 4 gates, unless of course it can schedule all of it's flights, one after the other out of 2 gates, without ever relinquishing control to another airline - maybe DL in ATL, but not PHL.

Actually, A-east has 4 exclusive use gates, 3 preferential use gates, and 3 common use gates. Once DL moves, I assume that their gates will be either exclusive or preferential use, with preferential use agreements seeming to be what PHL is putting in place for most of the new agreements.

Jim