PHL guys messing with West planes/crews?

hscottm

Aug 30, 2002
All:

I read usaviation alot, but mostly post on flyertalk. I am posting this here because I want to get some reactions and feedback before throwing it to the wolves on flyertalk and starting conspiracy theories. I hope to get some facts here so I dont need to post there and ask.

Here goes:

I was flying PIT-PHL-SEA (really miss the nonstops!) Sunday night. I wont go into the delayed crew problem in PIT, the hold in PIT to fly to PHL, etc. I get to PHL literally at the last second to board the 820pm to SEA. I am sitting in 3D so I can see/hear everything going in the front of the plane. This is an "HP" (West) coded flight.

Nothing happening. It seems there is a delay brewing, and the West crew seems nervous (its also an HP painted - orange script letters still - plane. The pilot gets on at 835 and says "we're waiting for the weight and balance papers and until then we cant take off. Oh, and one of the maintenance guys came in to take a look at our log and hasnt come back with it yet". Pilot didnt seem thrilled about this (neither did FAs).

By 840 or so the last passenger gets on. Someone missed a connection and rebooked.

About 10 minutes later, maintenance guy comes back with 2 stickers which he proceeds to put on the touch-control board on the A320 above the crew seats by the Row 1 door (this is the one that dims lights, etc, and also notes lav status). There is one large red sticker, and one small blue sticker. The FAs look at him really oddly, and ask whats going on. He walks into the cockpit to chat with the pilots, I cant hear exactly what the maintenance guy says, but the pilot replies "youre kidding me, right? this is getting ridiculous." Maintenance guy walks back off, pilot comes out, fumes, and goes into forward lav.

When he goes back to the cockpit, he calms down a few minutes, then gets back on and says "well folks, we have a small maintenance problem. The levels in one of the lavs is off, and there is a 'bad transmitter' so they had to flush out the lavs and refill them all. The only access for this was via the rear cargo hold, and so they had to take alot of bags out to get in there, and they're taking their time re-loading the bags. But they're done with the maintenance fix, we're just waiting for the maintenance log, and for them to reload half of the bags, then we're out of here. Sorry, but we share your pain." Its still like 850 or so.

At 915 (25 mins later!) someone in the back hits the FA call button, she goes back then returns and reports (to her colleague, not over the PA) that a passenger in the back just saw her bag fall off the loader because it was thrown onto the loader and landed halfway off. I know bag problems happen, but it makes me realize: So theyre still loading half the bags - how long does this take??!

At 920 the maintenance log returns. At 930 the W&B papers arrive and we close the door. Wheels up at 950 (not too bad a wait in PHL!).

Chatting with the crew during the flight, it seems this kind of thing is happening all the time when they get to PHL (at the least, it has happened to this crew several times). They implied that many of the West planes/crews that come through PHL seem to get the white-glove test on the planes, and more often than not, maintenance issues are found.

So I am asking here - anyone else seeing or hearing about this? I am willing to concede that one ill-fated crew might be having an extreme run of bad luck, but I also note that this HP flight (PHL-SEA, #672) hasnt departed PHL anything less than 45 minutes late in the last week. It has ranged from 0:45 to 1:50 late departing. I also concede this is the last flight of the day to SEA, and flights may be being held - but I dont think PHL ops have been too far off kilter this week.

I'd really love to know. If there's any shred of truth in it, I as a passenger dont like being anyone's pawn in disgruntled labor feelings. I have better things to do.

Oh, and Dont shoot the messenger! I am reporting what I heard.

thanks.

Yep, PHL may actually have gotten you through there pretty fast. You didn't mention anything about planes blocking the alley, maintenance guys watching the superbowl, or ramp vehicles being unavailable. Running to ones connecting flight in PHL is rarely necessary regardless of how late the arrival is.

I've had the pleasure lately to have east pilots in my jumpseat and also enjoy the jumpseat with east crewed a/c; everyone has been friendly and professional. One of my last was a ride with a PHL crew and a PHL jumpseater alongside of me; 3 on 1! I couldn't believe it when the subject of "the list" didn't even come up in the conversation. So what does this have to do with the thread? Everyone agrees that this is just Philly; SNAFU!!!

And PB, just to set the record straight, the AWA mtx problems were many years ago and was a direct aftermath of CEO Bill Franke's management. He's long gone and I would stack AWA mtx up against anyone.

I've had the pleasure lately to have east pilots in my jumpseat and also enjoy the jumpseat with east crewed a/c; everyone has been friendly and professional. One of my last was a ride with a PHL crew and a PHL jumpseater alongside of me; 3 on 1! I couldn't believe it when the subject of "the list" didn't even come up in the conversation. So what does this have to do with the thread? Everyone agrees that this is just Philly; SNAFU!!!

And PB, just to set the record straight, the AWA mtx problems were many years ago and was a direct aftermath of CEO Bill Franke's management. He's long gone and I would stack AWA mtx up against anyone.
And I might add, America West has never had an accident. Safest airline besides Quantas! :up:

You realize that by that logic (past track record), you should be scared absolutely to death to get anywhere near an East piloted airplane, much less one anywhere near, say, LGA. Or CLT.

I don't really think either comparison is either legitimate or called for, I'm just pointing out that to be somehow worried about West mechs would also imply worry about east pilots.

I have neither. Well, the fitness for command of anyone who really thought DOH would get off the ground might be in question, but that's for the Doc to decide.... And it's another topic.

Thank God the Mechanics do check the A/C.

HP doesn't have the world's greatest track record with naintenance having been fined and nearly grounded.

Given HP's prior record I think the customers in PHL should thank the mechs for their attention to detail and ensuring the publics safety. They have the FAA rules for a reason.

Or would you rather entrust your life to the folks who did the mtc on the B1900 that met it's fate in CLT a few years back?? If HP can't fix them, then they shouldn't leave PHL until they're airworthy. Nice to see someone minding the store.

To all of the mechanics thanks for the attention to detail. Keep up the good work and again thanks for keeping me and all of the others safe.

Bob, if I recall correctly Parker was the CFO at the time. As such he had very little to do with the problem. The problem was squarely that of one William Franke, otherwise known as the devil.

The crew needs to quit thier crying. That's just Philly. They don't see anything else to complain about?

Seems an old America West slogan has found its way to our "new " airline.

"US Airways-We're not happy till you're not happy."
Usairways 10k 2007
"It is not our fault, we are only the leaders and managers of the company. We only hire, pay, motivate and set examples for our employees. If something goes wrong it is their fault."

Certain of the statements contained herein should be considered "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements may be identified by words such as "may," "will," "expect," "intend," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "plan," "could," "should," and "continue" and similar terms. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the outlook of US Airways Group, Inc. (the "Company"), expected fuel costs, the revenue and pricing environment, expected financial performance, and the benefits of the business combination transaction involving America West Holdings Corporation and US Airways Group, including future financial and operating results, the combined companies' plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, as well as other statements that are not historical facts. These statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of the Company's management and are subject to significant risks and uncertainties that could cause the Company's actual results and financial position to differ materially from these statements. These risks and additional factors that may affect the future results of the Company are set forth in detail in the section entitled "Risk Factors" in the Company's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2005 and in the filings of the Company with the SEC, which are available at www.usairways.com. [After the 10-K is filed, replace the preceding sentence with the following: These risks and additional factors that may affect the future results of the Company are set forth in detail in the section entitled "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005 and in the filings of the Company with the SEC, which are available at www.usairways.com.] The Company assumes no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement to reflect actual results, changes in assumptions or changes in other factors affecting such estimates other than as required by law.

-LCC-

SOURCE US Airways

US Airways Media Relations, +1-480-693-5729

All:

Just back online after redeye from SEA-CLT.

I guess on one hand its good to hear that "this is normal" but I am interested in reading my private messages on the subject. If anyone has any other thoughts feel free to send them to me personally.

Just a quick note that the words "white glove test" in my original email were mine, not a quote from the FAs (bad edit on my part). I didnt want to imply anything with that.

Safe travels.

Latest posts