phl overseas terminal

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
i saw that the old overseas terminal has been demolished. any idea what is going to replace it? i keep hearing its going to be a new terminal or a parking lot. i hope it's a new terminal that way they can move sw into it and move the new delta ,american ,frontier,and midwest out of A terminal. that way ,US can expand the intl ops.

It will be a parking lot. Under the selected Alternative A for the Master Plan it will be the relocated Terminal F - Renamed Terminal G. But that's 15 years out.
that sucks. why can't they just build the terminal now? why do they have to wait 15 yrs to do it? we need it now. not 15 yrs into the future.

that sucks. why can't they just build the terminal now? why do they have to wait 15 yrs to do it? we need it now. not 15 yrs into the future.

The terminal would extend all the way across Island Ave even farther east up to the Water Treatment Plant on Enterprise over where all the cabs park back there. Needless to say, it's gonna be a huge project. But I agree with you. No point in putting a parking lot in when it's gonna be destroyed anyway. That's the City of Philadelphia for you. Not thinking of the future.

The terminal would extend all the way across Island Ave even farther east up to the Water Treatment Plant on Enterprise...That's the City of Philadelphia for you. Not thinking of the future.

Oh, but that IS thinking of the future, PHL.
They are going for the "Green Infustructure" we heard about in a different thread that is now gone.

Think of the cost savings and carbon footprint reduction they'll get by not having to truck lav waste. Just pump it right from the aircraft into the poo poo plant on Enterprise.

It'll be just like at the K.O.A. near Gatlinburg when Harvey and Maude from Toledo pull their 'Bago up to the dumping station.

My friends company has been doing a lot of work at the airport. I asked him what the project was and he told me it had to do with the new terminal. I didn't ask him specifics, but I just assumed it was an active project now, not 15 years from now.

The terminal would extend all the way across Island Ave even farther east up to the Water Treatment Plant on Enterprise over where all the cabs park back there. Needless to say, it's gonna be a huge project. But I agree with you. No point in putting a parking lot in when it's gonna be destroyed anyway. That's the City of Philadelphia for you. Not thinking of the future.

I thought it was just going to be additional economy lot spots to take the place of the ones lost due to lengthening the runway. Clearing the rubble and turning it into an economy lot really doesn't take much construction. If they plan a parking garage well that's a different story.

I thought it was just going to be additional economy lot spots to take the place of the ones lost due to lengthening the runway. Clearing the rubble and turning it into an economy lot really doesn't take much construction. If they plan a parking garage well that's a different story.

Yes, in my first post I stated it will be a parking lot. The 2nd post is what the City plans for that area in 15-20 years maybe even sooner.

The expansion plan for PHL has been narrowed down from 3 alternatives to 2.
http://www.phl-cep-eis.com/project-description.asp

And just recently, Tinicum township residents had their say on the proposals.
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2008/11...cb728224985.txt

Regardless, that parking lot in place of the old intl. terminal is a good placeholder. The long term economy lot was always filled to capacity BEFORE they closed off a big chunk of it to make room for the 17-35 expansion. So, those spots will be valuable.

The new "G" terminal in place of that parking lot is just one of the two alternatives.
alta1.jpg

The 2nd alternative would be a complete overhaul of everything but A-East/West. Major moving and construction, which would not include the G terminal in the spot of the old Overseas terminal.
altb1.jpg

The 3rd alternative that was removed was even huger. It basically involved a complete runway modification and a midfield terminal similar to Atlanta and/or Pittsburgh. I can understand, however, why that was the one that was nixed due to the obvious logistics and compexities.

Either way, 15 years might be too optomistic, if either alternative even gets chosen.

It will be a parking lot. Under the selected Alternative A for the Master Plan it will be the relocated Terminal F - Renamed Terminal G. But that's 15 years out.
Unless you have access to some very recent change, the new Terminal G (11 Gates) and the expansion/upgrading of Terminal F are currently planned and budgeted for completion in 2013, with work starting in 2011. Of course that could change based on the year end 2008 decision regarding the entire airport redesign (CEP). "G" is already in the "A" CEP option (see previous post references).

There is no way in hell that the Alternative B would be chosen. I would drop dead if they announced that's what they are going with. The City is gonna take the easiest way out even though both plans would cost roughly the same and Alternative B would be the most efficient. The plus with Alternative A is that all terminals would have double alley's. That would help with congestion immensely without disturbing too much of airport setting. Not to mention IIRC, the City has pretty much sided with Alternative A already.

Unless you have access to some very recent change, the new Terminal G (11 Gates) and the expansion/upgrading of Terminal F are currently planned and budgeted for completion in 2013, with work starting in 2011. Of course that could change based on the year end 2008 decision regarding the entire airport redesign (CEP). "G" is already in the "A" CEP option (see previous post references).

I do know Terminal G is in that document of planned facility projects. I think 15 years would be a better estimate. I've lived in this city my entire life and have seen projects go far beyond deadlines and well over budget. I think a planned completion of 2013 is a little too optimistic.

Ever since all these alternatives were brought to the table what about 6 years ago. I've been very excited with the whole thing since I want to see my hometown airport become a uber-efficient, operation pumping, beast of the northeast.

Time will only tell...