PHL ticket/gate agents

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/30/2002 3:41:45 PM Chuck wrote:

poor service? Yup, it must be USAir! You all need to take a look at how Continental treats their "customers" in EWR and how Southwest treats theirs.
Both airlines pay their agents less than USAirways and they seem to know that the only thing their company has to sell is "service", something that you need to give your customers or someone else will. Simple fact, customers are not the enemy.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Chuck, I believe that you are barking up the wrong tree. While management may view us as the enemy, the front line people are uniformly the best in the business. There are a few who do not meet the high standard. However, they are in the minority.

Sincerely,

The Cockroaches

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 12/29/2002 11:07:41 PM REACC1 wrote:

[/P]no doubt it is cumbersome, but i have seen many agts who can zip right thru it...pacer would think for you...sabre you have to coach...but it does work...i am not a sabre fan but make due with what you have to work with...

----------------
[/blockquote]
I agree it is cumbersome , but it is learnable. It takes time and practice. When someone has a problem they should figure it out and remember it or write it down for the next time it comes up, because it will come up again.[img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif']

Re: Sabre,
The system we have leaves much to be desired. There are numberous problems. Some with the system...some with the programers.
With sabre, the entry that you made yesterday may not work today...and there are SO many entries.
I don't think the programers work together. If you are trying to find answers to a problem, and you must search for rules...GOOD LUCK! Trying to find the stuff is sometimes impossible.
Someone suggested that if you find a way...write it down.
Most of us have our own "personal cheat notes" on how to find/do stuff. But you can't have it all.
You can always call someone for assistance...HA (joke of the day!) You can't find in our company directory ANYBODY who is the person over ANY department. Examples: Who is director of air cargo? Customer Service? Accounting? Fleet Service? Maint? Pilots? Flight Attendents?
...For the customer who had problems...I am truly sorry. I to would bet that it was an employee whose last day is close. I remember years ago a fellow employees last day. A ladies dog did not arrive with her. She was after blood. The agent tried to assure her that he would locate, have her dog looked after, and would get it to her asap. It wasn't enough. He finally looked at her and said, "Lady, there are only two people in this world who give a damn about your dog...and one of us is getting to where he cares less and less with each passing minute." The last minute has arrived for some.
For those of my fellow employees who have lost their way of providing for their families and themselves...I am sorry. I wish you well and success in finding other employement. For those of us left...we are not happy with our situation, but we realize we need our customers. We also realize our staff has been cut so severely that we can't give the service we want to give. We can only do the best we can. Sometimes, that just is not good enough...but it is the best we can do.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/30/2002 3:41:45 PM Chuck wrote:

poor service? Yup, it must be USAir! You all need to take a look at how Continental treats their "customers" in EWR and how Southwest treats theirs.
Both airlines pay their agents less than USAirways and they seem to know that the only thing their company has to sell is "service", something that you need to give your customers or someone else will. Simple fact, customers are not the enemy.
----------------
[/blockquote]
------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, WN pays their agents more than U ever paid theirs. U topped out at 21.66 (preconcessions), while WN tops out at $25.

And, how many senior agents did CO have left after 2 BK's? I'm guessing they wiped the slate clean - rookies don't mind starting at the bottom of the payscale - 20 year agents do.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/29/2002 8:43:18 PM Old PSA wrote:
[P]Maybe, if and when the company's current direction is determined, management can focus on the quality of the service US offers. From the Customer Service side, I believe SABRE still sucks but management seems satisfied with it. If Dave only knew how much money is not being collected because of the demise of TIPS with PACER and the failure to complete the TIPS II project with SABRE, he might take a look at how much agent time (expense) can be saved with a good front-end. [BR][BR]Just as an example-next time you are at the airport, watch to see how many times it takes 2 or 3 agents to complete a single transaction. No matter how good the agent is, native SABRE is a complicate, format intense beast.[BR][BR][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]I can only say this about Sabre. It's is the most user [STRONG]unfriendly[/STRONG] system I have ever used (5 different ones now). The bottom line is it sucks, its frustrating to use, needlessly stress provoking and horribly time consuming. BUT!! you are right MGT loves it. Why? so they can track every move an agent makes - Not to make the job easier and more productive - heaven forbid!!! Welcome to sucky SABRE land! 21 yrs more and counting on that contract![/P]

[/blockquote]

Actually, WN pays their agents more than U ever paid theirs. U topped out at 21.66 (preconcessions), while WN tops out at $25.
----------------
[/blockquote]

WOW!! Don't bite my head off but that's a nice pay for a job that's doesn't require a degree or too much skill. No wonder the airlines want that money back.

Again, just stating a fact, don't bite at me. Sorry U I love ya but jeez!?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 12:08:33 AM trvlr64 wrote:

[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

WOW!! Don't bite my head off but that's a nice pay for a job that's doesn't require a degree or too much skill. No wonder the airlines want that money back.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Well dont stick your head in there, lest ye not get bit. Yes,it does not require a degree. No, it does require skills. The ability to think on your feet, under pressure is one "skill". To obtain that "nice pay", you have to remain employed for over a decade. I imagine that you would rather just stomp grapes and have wine. Experience used to mean something. You have to deal with the most unpredictable animal in the world in two plains. The human passenger and transportation. It is not as simple as you think it is.

[blockquote]
----------------

[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

And what would you know, as opposed to think, about what I do?

If I 'just' loaded bags you might be on to something.

1. We perform the security check on your a/c every morning, just as TSA checks your baggage and person. They start at 30k a year. We start at 14K. TSA doesn't require a degree, either.

2. In most locations, we deice the airplane. I've watched $8 an hour wonders do this job. It ain't pretty, and it's not safe. Where mech's perform this job, they get paid considerably more than I do.

3. It's not just loading the flight, it's how much and where. Wanna ride a plane that's overgrossed or out of balance? You'd be surprised how easy it can happen. We check behind the load planning desk, and catch these kinds of things. We also don't like leaving revenue (passenger, baggage, freight) behind. We frequently load what we KNOW is tolerable, but exceeds the load plan. After an initial tizzy, the planner will run the numbers and go, "Gosh, that will work." There's no subsitute for experience in the field.

4. We've added value to our work group. Ten years ago, we merely loaded planes. Now we secure, deice, air start, R and D, and clean (no task too lowly) - all with LESS staff than we had ten years ago.

Somehow, WN manages to make money paying their guys $25 to do this.

And I'll guarantee I could belittle what you do, but that would be wrong, wouldn't it? And bye the bye, I have a degree - I just happen to like this job.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/29/2002 4:48:43 PM Pacemaker wrote:

Another consequence of US Airways' singular focus on the northeast. When Nordstrom's first expanded into New Jersey, they had to import a cadre of employees from the west coast just to show the locals how to treat the customers like human beings, a foreign concept up in the land of "cool northern efficiency."
----------------
[/blockquote]

... gimme a break! I'm from the "cool, efficient North" and I've visited the West Coast and now live in the South and believe me the Yankees don't have a monopoly on rudeness, so let's not get "regional"!

This person still has never said what exactly happened and you're allowing him and others to bash not only the agents but the systems. If something happened you'll have to tell it to Customer Service so why not tell us. Bet nothing happened and you're just wanting attention!!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 8:45:02 AM diogenes wrote:
[blockquote]
----------------
[/blockquote]

---------------
[/blockquote]

----------------
[/blockquote]

And what would you know, as opposed to think, about what I do?

If I 'just' loaded bags you might be on to something.

1. We perform the security check on your a/c every morning, just as TSA checks your baggage and person. They start at 30k a year. We start at 14K. TSA doesn't require a degree, either.

2. In most locations, we deice the airplane. I've watched $8 an hour wonders do this job. It ain't pretty, and it's not safe. Where mech's perform this job, they get paid considerably more than I do.

3. It's not just loading the flight, it's how much and where. Wanna ride a plane that's overgrossed or out of balance? You'd be surprised how easy it can happen. We check behind the load planning desk, and catch these kinds of things. We also don't like leaving revenue (passenger, baggage, freight) behind. We frequently load what we KNOW is tolerable, but exceeds the load plan. After an initial tizzy, the planner will run the numbers and go, "Gosh, that will work." There's no subsitute for experience in the field.

4. We've added value to our work group. Ten years ago, we merely loaded planes. Now we secure, deice, air start, R and D, and clean (no task too lowly) - all with LESS staff than we had ten years ago.

Somehow, WN manages to make money paying their guys $25 to do this.

And I'll guarantee I could belittle what you do, but that would be wrong, wouldn't it? And bye the bye, I have a degree - I just happen to like this job.
----------------
[/blockquote]

First, I wasn't belittling anyone. I just stated a fact that maybe your company is looking at reducing costs no matter what.
Second, since there is a degree of added responsibility that goes with most jobs, why not point these out to management. It is common practice in my company during our Performance Appraisels (sp?) to remind not only our immediate boss but the upper management [who decides our raises, bonuses and pay scale] exactly what it is we do for our company and what a valuable resource we truely are. Uppermanagement looks at the numbers only, not what is it you actually do or how good you are at it. Or how you've become an asset. Maybe a more aggressive reminder to U's management needs to occur that explains what you do is not the same as someone that works at Wal-Mart (excuse me again for the poor analogy).

Third, I'm sure you could find some reason to belittle my job. Hell, I do it whenever I'm pissed off. But in a company of over 80,000 employees worldwide, there are only 14 of us that can do my job. So yes, I get paid well for my abilities because not many people can do what I do. And I've been told not many would want to.

Fourth, I do respect the employees of U or I wouldn't be flying U every week of the year for the last 6 years of my life. Remember, it's those passengers of yours that "live" on U that know what you do. But the regular joe who travels maybe once or twice a year doesn't give a damn that you might be out of a job soon. I do. I help to pay your salary.

Believe me, I don't like to see a lot of my "friends" in PIT gone. The kiosks are not friendly but they hope it saves U a ton of money. And that's all your management cares about.

PineyBob,

What I've learned in my years of dealing with the public, there are regional differences in what is considered polite.

New Yorkers are very straight forward with what they want. Sometimes it comes off a little abrupt, but it makes it easier for me to help them because they tell me what they want or have remedy to offer. I also find them considerate of the people around them, have their "stuff" ready. I doubt you'll find many New Yorkers getting off the escalator and still standing there. They don't block elevators while getting on, they'll stand to the side to allow the exiting pax to get off.

Midwesterners are usual very sweet, but in their polite courtesy, they often don't to make waves or cause inconvenience, so sometimes it takes a little mind reading to serve them. They won't complain unless it's truly awful.

Southerners tend to be warm and friendly, like to chat a bit and exchange pleasantries. It somethings not right, they'll start out telling you they don't want to be a bother, but if it's possible could you please....

We west coasters tend to be a mixed bag. Maybe it's because there's so many transplants out here.

It's been an interesting study in sociology. Certainly breaks up the monotony. These are just my observations.

Latest posts