PHL x-fer baggage sorting

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone in the know please
answer the following about bag sorting in PHL.

Are the barcodes used to sort transfer bags?
Do transfer bags enter the PHL conveyor system or do they transfer by tug & cart? (Or a combination)?
How are bags tagged for Express flights transferred to F-con?

How are local bags sorted?

Let's keep any discussion of the reliability (or lack thereof) of the PHL bag system on another thread, I'm interested in finding out how the system is supposed to work.

Thanks for your help.

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone in the know please
answer the following about bag sorting in PHL.

Are the barcodes used to sort transfer bags?
Do transfer bags enter the PHL conveyor system or do they transfer by tug & cart? (Or a combination)?
How are bags tagged for Express flights transferred to F-con?

How are local bags sorted?

Let's keep any discussion of the reliability (or lack thereof) of the PHL bag system on another thread, I'm interested in finding out how the system is supposed to work.

Thanks for your help.
Bar codes are not used
Bags are manually sorted
Bags are manually sorted to go to F term and manually picked up by tugs/carts driven by young gangstas

Bar codes are not used
Bags are manually sorted
Bags are manually sorted to go to F term and manually picked up by tugs/carts driven by young gangstas
Actually it's a combination of the two......
Bags connecting to mainline flights that have 90 min. or more connecting time are dropped at the bag chute and auto sorted by the system.....if it's working.
Bags with less than 90 min connecting time or bags that are connecting to f-con...are manually sorted by the bag runner.

So that means the local (PH originaing) bags are sorted by the scanner?
The bags can be scanned automatically, by the scanning heads, or if that fails they are routed to an agent who manually scans them. On a good day 60% of the bags are scanned automatically. It really should be around 90%.

The bags can be scanned automatically, by the scanning heads, or if that fails they are routed to an agent who manually scans them. On a good day 60% of the bags are scanned automatically. It really should be around 90%.
I heard some where that the new bag scanner is supposed to have a reliability of 98%. But heck even on its worse day it will still be great. Can't wait until the the fall. Im sure our passengers can't wait either.

I heard some where that the new bag scanner is supposed to have a reliability of 98%. But heck even on its worse day it will still be great. Can't wait until the the fall. Im sure our passengers can't wait either.
The bags will still be put on the belts any whichway by TSA, US agents, and other airline personel. If the tag is not visible it won't be read. Then a human scanner must get involved.