Phoenix, U.s. Airways Workers Jump Into The Pull

singh4us

Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
The Business Journal of Phoenix - 1:25 PM MST Tuesday 10/11/05

Phoenix, U.S. Airways workers jump into the pull for fundraiserhttp://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/stories/2005/10/10/daily18.html?jst=b_ln_hl

US Airways Group Inc. and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will have some fun Wednesday while they raise money for charity.

Teams of employees from US Airways and the City of Phoenix hope to raise thousands of dollars for Valley of the Sun United Way and the Community Service Fund Drive as they pool their strength to pull an aircraft weighing more than 85,000 pounds a length of 15 feet.

"Every day, our aircraft fly tens of thousands of miles, connecting people and communities, but US Airways and city of Phoenix employees will be making a major impact right here in the Valley by taking one of our jets on a much shorter journey," said C.A. Howlett, senior vice president for public affairs for US Airways.

This second annual "Jet Pull" will take place Wednesday at 8 a.m. at the US Airways hangar at Phoenix Sky Harbor International.

US Airways (NYSE: LCC) is a Tempe-based airline serving more than 225 communities in the United States, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. The airline was formed by the merger of America West Airlines and US Airways Group Inc., a $1.5 billion transaction that closed Sept. 27.

THE 2004 EVENT

America West Airlines Jet-Pull

America West employees pulled their weight and then some during the inaugural 2004 United Way jet pull. Teams, comprised of 20 people per team, were timed as they pulled a 737 plane 15 feet. With a winning time of 6.15 seconds the Aircraft Super Stars set the standard of strength for next year's competition.

More than 300 employees turned out to cheer on their favorite team. In addition to the entry fee, spectators took part in a raffle and ice cream sale. The event raised more than $3,000 and laid claim to the most talked about United Way fundraiser at America West.

View attachment 3494

The jet pull is going to be much more competitive the second time around. Last year only America West employees made up the teams, this year the City of Phoenix will also have teams. Should be great weather and a good time for all in attendance.

EricLv2Fish said:
The jet pull is going to be much more competitive the second time around. Last year only America West employees made up the teams, this year the City of Phoenix will also have teams. Should be great weather and a good time for all in attendance.
[post="311298"][/post]​

THE "JET PULL" FUNDRAISER IS A GREAT SUCCESS!! :up:

United Way fund-raiser is a test of muscleshttp://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/business/articles/1013buzz-bizbuzz13.html

Oct. 13, 2005 12:00 AM

It wasn't exactly the most efficient way to get a jet from Point A to Point B. But, hey, it was for a good cause.

More than 30 teams of employees from the City of Phoenix and the new US Airways (formerly America West Airlines) participated in the second annual jet-pull contest Wednesday to benefit the Valley of the Sun United Way.

The 20-member teams had to pull an Airbus A319 aircraft, weighing in at 130,000 pounds, 15 feet in the fastest time. Rampage, a team from the US Airways ramp, won the competition by pulling the plane in 5.74 seconds, topping last year's winning time of 6.15 seconds.

Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon's team, V.I.P. Vibrant Illustrious Pullers, won the "All Gobble, No Pull" award.

Danielle Yuhasz, a spokeswoman for the Tempe-based airline, said the event raised more than $6,000 through team entry fees.

Much more money was raised...I know one of the girls working one of the t-shirt booths and she said she sold over 1000 bucks in t-shirts alone. We should find out soon what the total was. Anyone get any pictures of the theme teams? Some of those costumes were great!

Much more money was raised...I know one of the girls working one of the t-shirt booths and she said she sold over 1000 bucks in t-shirts alone. We should find out soon what the total was. Anyone get any pictures of the theme teams? Some of those costumes were great!

Some pics are posted in the first edition of About US (replaces Plane Deal and Update). This link is from JustPlaneNews.com:

http://www.justplanenews.com/PDF/US_101405.pdf

Photos should be on Compass

Did you see the results ? the team that DP headed up was DQ for cheating !!!!

But again for the old culture at US DP was actualy involued and was available to talk with employees with out a bodyguard Didnt see Bruce however.

Did you see the results ? the team that DP headed up was DQ for cheating !!!!

My observation of the situation is this: They were disqualified for having 24 folks on their team (only 20 folks were allowed on each team). They seemed disorganized and it appeared folks were recruited at the last minute. Certainely it was all in good fun. Cheating? Well, a few folks will have some fun with the idea.

My observation of the situation is this: They were disqualified for having 24 folks on their team (only 20 folks were allowed on each team). They seemed disorganized and it appeared folks were recruited at the last minute. Certainely it was all in good fun. Cheating? Well, a few folks will have some fun with the idea.

ok it was 26 on the 20 person team (they did have a great pull time) As for the cheating part it was ment as a joke. I have the highest reguards for DP and I trust him. Anyway my team sucked big time. had a blast