Phoenix

Fly4Free

Veteran
May 31, 2006
Wherever.
Visit site
Climate

Phoenix has an arid climate, which is characterized by some of the hottest seasonal temperatures experienced by any large city. In fact, out of the world's large urban areas, only some cities around the Persian Gulf, such as Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, and Baghdad, Iraq, have higher average summer temperatures. The temperature reaches or exceeds 100 °F (38 °C) on an average of 89 days during the year, including most days from early June through early September. On June 26, 1990, the temperature reached an all-time high of 122 °F (50 °C).[15] Low temperatures have shown a strong upward trend during the past three decades, likely due to the Urban Heat Island. Overnight lows greater than 90 °F (32 °C) occur with greater frequency every summer. The all-time highest low temperature was 96 °F (36 °C), which occurred on July 15, 2003.

The dry Arizona air makes the hot temperatures more tolerable early in the season, however, the influx of monsoonal moisture in July significantly raises moisture levels, but nowhere near the level that is experienced in other parts of the Sunbelt. On the other hand, the winter months are usually mild and sunny.

Phoenix sees some 300 sunny days per year. The average annual total at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport being 8.3 inches (210 mm). March is the wettest month of the year (1.07 inches or 27 mm) with May being the driest (0.09 inches or 2 mm). Although thunderstorms occur on occasion during every month of the year, they are most common during the monsoon from July to mid-September as humid air surges in from the Gulf of California. These can bring strong winds, large hail, or rarely tornadoes. Winter storms moving inland from the Pacific Ocean occasionally produce significant rains but occur infrequently. Fog is observed from time to time during the winter months.

Due to the Urban Heat Island effect, frost rarely occurs in the center of the city. The last time the temperature fell below 32 °F (0 °C) at the airport was January 15, 2007. The long-term mean date of the first frost is December 15 and the last is February 1; however, these dates do not represent the city as a whole because the frequency of freezes varies considerably among terrain types and elevations. Frequently, outlying areas of Phoenix will see frost, however, the airport does not. The earliest frost on record occurred on November 3, 1946, and the latest occurred on April 4, 1945. The all-time lowest temperature in Phoenix was recorded at 16 °F (-8.8 °C) on January 7, 1913.

Snow is extremely rare in the area. Snowfall was first officially recorded in 1896, and since then accumulations of 0.1 inches (0.25 cm) or greater have occurred only seven times. The heaviest snowstorm on record dates to January 20-21, 1937, when 1 to 4 inches fell (2 to 10 cm) in parts of the city and did not melt entirely for four days. Prior to that, 1 inch (2.5 cm) had fallen on January 20, 1933. On February 2, 1939, 0.5 inches (1 cm) fell. Most recently, 0.4 inches (1 cm) fell on December 21-22, 1990. Snow also fell on March 12, 1917 November 28, 1919, and December 11, 1985.[16]

Month Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Avg high °F (°C) 65 (18) 69 (21) 74 (23) 83 (28) 92 (33) 102 (39) 104 (40) 102 (39) 97 (36) 86 (30) 73 (23) 65 (18)
Avg low temperature °F (°C) 43 (6) 47 (8) 51 (11) 58 (14) 66 (19) 75 (24) 81 (27) 80 (27) 75 (24) 63 (17) 50 (10) 44 (7)

Phoenix is the hottest and second driest city in the United states, according to The Weather Channel's "Top 10", a program involving with ranking cities on criteria such as hottest, driest, coldest, wettest, windiest, sunniest, snowiest, and most humid.

Like Los Angeles and other autocentric American cities, the city's automobile-dependent nature holds implications for greenhouse gas emissions. Like most United States cities, its public transit system remains unused for the majority of passenger trips. Despite its MSA population being approximately one fifth that of New York City's, its public transit system accounts for just one percent of the passenger miles that New York City's does. [17]

That is why PHX is a sh1thole. And, I am based here :down:

But, I get to commute from some place much prettier, cooler, greener, wetter, and basically a whole helluva a lot nicer .... SAN. :up:

LOL - I think it is here to say that since PHX really does not experience too much in winter weather, the folks running the show in Tempe and in the SOC just may NOT know how to deal with the blizzard happening out east right now. I will give those east SOC folks some credit though, they have been dealing with that crap for years and I imagine they are pretty darn good at it!

I was in PHX on June 26, 1990. It was interesting to say the least.

The saying, "yeah but it's a dry heat" offered no comfort on that day.

The airport was actually closed until the temp fell below 120.

Since then I believe takeoff charts have been amended to cover temps up to 130.

Just a nostalgic look back ;)

FWIW, I will quite willingly take a Phoenix summer over a northern winter any day of the week. I played slip-n-slide with a car way too many years to have any desire to do that again.

FWIW, I will quite willingly take a Phoenix summer over a northern winter any day of the week. I played slip-n-slide with a car way too many years to have any desire to do that again.

Good point and I agree with that, but hmmm, I still vote for SAN, the ocean, cleaner air, green, more liberal (not a plus for all but definately one for me), we all have different tastes which is what makes life interesting!

ps - having a wicked thunderstorm here in PHX right now .... I do miss those living in CA. Had them all summer in PIT as a kid .....

Maybe this explains why the closets are gone..... :huh:

No, no, the closets are gone because someone at corporate did not take their head out of the sand long enough to actually board an east plane and see that things are a bit different on those planes .... little things like EOW equipment, video equipment locations, etc ....

No, no, the closets are gone because someone at corporate did not take their head out of the sand long enough to actually board an east plane and see that things are a bit different on those planes .... little things like EOW equipment, video equipment locations, etc ....

I would think the closets are gone is because some moron in upper mgt said, hey, we need more seats, and another moron below him looking for an opportunity to advance said, hey, I can do that.

"Be care what you wish for" is a caveat that all upper management should be very careful of. It is like someone saying, reduce cost in scheduling, and boy do they. I can show where such a seemingly innocuous phrase causes all sorts of problems, even to costing the corporation ten or more times what they hoped to save.

Removing the closets on the 320s revealed the basest of motivations on the part of USAirways, simply providing more seats (revenue). Any kind of "value added" service was tossed into the ashheap of expediency. So unnecessary. Sad.

Wonder what Star Alliance thinks of how their interairline passengers transition to pathetic nothingness on USAirways?

Good point and I agree with that, but hmmm, I still vote for SAN, the ocean, cleaner air, green, more liberal (not a plus for all but definately one for me), we all have different tastes which is what makes life interesting!

ps - having a wicked thunderstorm here in PHX right now .... I do miss those living in CA. Had them all summer in PIT as a kid .....

Ok, I'll compromise and say Palm Springs.

But seriously, is it true that Phoenix attracts folks trying to escape arthritis? Does it really help? If so, is it the dryness or the heat?