PHX F/A & Pilot Crew News Sessions: August 11, 2011

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
PHX Flight Attendants & Pilots Crew News Videos Now Online: August 11, 2011

Leadership met with crew members in PHX recently for the latest Crew News sessions – which are held monthly. If you didn’t get a chance to attend the meetings you can check out the video replays at the link below. Both sessions are very informative with information from the F/A section on creative ways to close a new contract this fall that prevent a deal from being made due to pilot contract problems. In addition, Doug made very thoughtful comments at the Crew News sessions; as well as some thoughts on the recent PHX Check Airman meeting.

Click here to view the webcast.

The Flight Attendant session covered the following topics:

Introduction
PHX Hub Status
4 Day Trips, Joint Contract
Lanyard Monitoring
CateringAudit
No Triple Play Payout (very informative discussion)
9am PHX Bank
Xawaii Provisioning
The U.S. Economy
Thanks & Conclusion

The Pilot session covered the following topics:

Introduction
Lawsuit
Check Airman Meeting (Doug indicates company's attorney's believe DJ Lawsuit will last 2.5 years or find another path, but does not know how that would happen. This is an excellent discussion.)
Seniority Follow Up (Another excellent discussion)
Morale
New Hire Recognition
Thanks & Conclusion

I believe every employee should view both of these Crew News sessions.

In my opinion, after listening to both Crew News sessions, the AFA is nearing a deal.

USAPA's current approach will take 2.5 years to get the seniority integration complete and another 1.5 years to get a new contract, 4 total years, or almost 8 years for USAPA to deliver a joint operation/new contract (more than 10 years after the merger closed). Is that an approach the majority of the East Coast-based pilots envisioned when they elected USAPA as their CBA?

If CM says it's worth watching it is most definitley not, he has never been right on anything, and just loves to make stuff up. The union is holding back on that LOA 93 loss? :lol: :lol:

Reactions: 4 people
Luvthe9,

As a person who attempts to skirt or violate rules I believe the sender is one who might be the one "has never been right on anything, and just loves to make stuff up." When is it ok to break a rule?

I find it interesting that people like Doug Mowrey, Dave Ciabattoni, Eric Rowe and others have made public claims that USAPA is holding back the LOA 93 decision - not me. Also noteworthy, Robert Isom meet with East Coast-based Check Airman a few weeks ago and said he was "99% certain" USAPA lost the grievance and now Doug Parker told the West Coast-based Check Airman last week the same thing. In addition, Tracy Parella has written three Grievance Committee Updates disputing this claim even calling people liars. Why would Tracy be so emphatic and use such a strong word like "liar" when speaking about USAPA "insiders" like Doug Mowrey, Dave Ciabattoni, and Eric Rowe if she did not know the LOA 93 decision?

The LOA 93 Grievance Hearing concluded over 18 months ago on February 4, 2010. If my memory serves me correctly Arbitrator Kasher has completed two other grievance hearings conducted after the LOA 93 hearings and ahs issued his Opinion & Award. Why would Kasher complete two grievance proceedings before one with so much importance to all of the parties involved?

Reactions: 3 people
IMHO, I would think that the Kasher decision is imminent. However, during the crew news "expectations management" seminar just released from PHX, Doug doesn't say whether or not the company's position prevailed, but that a 'snap back' just "wouldn't happen". My interpretation of this is: win or lose, the company is not going to pay. Obviously, if the company wins they won't be compelled to pay, but if the company loses, Doug says it just "won't happen".
BTW, recent history has shown that the company does not pay out on grievances. The 'make whole' pay for underflying on the west side grievance hasn't paid out and the decision was handed down two years ago.
So, what does USAPA do? File a lawsuit, of course.
So how long is it going to be until anyone sees an additional cent?
My guess is 10 years or more.
OK, enough good news about that subject - on to the next: A new contract, or more specifically: How the Declatory Judgement has "sped up the process" so that we can get to a new contract sooner, rather than later.
You might have recalled when the DJ was filed, Doug stood up and said that doing this was not a delay tactic, but a means to the end that would actually 'speed up the process', and get to a resolution 'quicker'.
Ok...so, now he says: another year and a half for a circuit court judgment, then another year for an appeal--THEN we can negotiate a contract, and that'll take another year or so.
So, how is this 'speeding up the process'?
Topic three: Why do line pilots attend these things?
Ever notice that Doug doesn't even look you in the eye when he is speaking? He's looking off to one side, heaving and sighing and trying to dumb it down for the non-MBA's in the room so they can understand him.
Sheesh. Does anyone notice that Doug has proven he takes nothing away from these meetings? Repeat questioners often ask why nothing has changed since the last time they commented about a glaring problem. Prime example: ACARS. Guys, hasn't Doug telegraphed what he thinks you and your opinions are worth? These sessions are designed to be one-way only. In this corporate structure (BTW, one of the top twenty most hated corporations in the US), crap rolls downhill. These internet episodes dump it straight from the top into employees laps. Anyone that thinks that suggestions from the bottom make it out of that room are dreaming.
So, what motivates anyone to go to these things? You can get a better lunch in the cafeteria, ya know.
Rant over.
Cheers.

Reactions: 4 people
Luvthe9,

As a person who attempts to skirt or violate rules I believe the sender is one who might be the one "has never been right on anything, and just loves to make stuff up." When is it ok to break a rule?

I find it interesting that people like Doug Mowrey, Dave Ciabattoni, Eric Rowe and others have made public claims that USAPA is holding back the LOA 93 decision - not me. Also noteworthy, Robert Isom meet with East Coast-based Check Airman a few weeks ago and said he was "99% certain" USAPA lost the grievance and now Doug Parker told the West Coast-based Check Airman last week the same thing. In addition, Tracy Parella has written three Grievance Committee Updates disputing this claim even calling people liars. Why would Tracy be so emphatic and use such a strong word like "liar" when speaking about USAPA "insiders" like Doug Mowrey, Dave Ciabattoni, and Eric Rowe if she did not know the LOA 93 decision?

The LOA 93 Grievance Hearing concluded over 18 months ago on February 4, 2010. If my memory serves me correctly Arbitrator Kasher has completed two other grievance hearings conducted after the LOA 93 hearings and ahs issued his Opinion & Award. Why would Kasher complete two grievance proceedings before one with so much importance to all of the parties involved?

You idiot. Once the arbitrator rules, it becomes public record. Kasher would not let anyone "hold it back." When he makes the award, it will be public knowledge. If USAPA held back the award, then why would the company not make it public. Or vice versa. It's got to be a big deal for one side or the other.

Can you cite the "public claims" of Mowrey, Ciabattoni and Rowe, or are you again just making things up as you go along.

When is it okay to break a rule? Have you ever done non-flight work on your computer in the cockpit during flight? I bet I can come up with dozens of your F/Os who would have interesting things to say about that. I know of an A330 captain who rode your jumpseat and watched it. So, just when is it okay to break a rule? You tell us.

IMHO, I would think that the Kasher decision is imminent. However, during the crew news "expectations management" seminar just released from PHX, Doug doesn't say whether or not the company's position prevailed, but that a 'snap back' just "wouldn't happen". My interpretation of this is: win or lose, the company is not going to pay. Obviously, if the company wins they won't be compelled to pay, but if the company loses, Doug says it just "won't happen".
BTW, recent history has shown that the company does not pay out on grievances. The 'make whole' pay for underflying on the west side grievance hasn't paid out and the decision was handed down two years ago.
So, what does USAPA do? File a lawsuit, of course.
So how long is it going to be until anyone sees an additional cent?
My guess is 10 years or more.
OK, enough good news about that subject - on to the next: A new contract, or more specifically: How the Declatory Judgement has "sped up the process" so that we can get to a new contract sooner, rather than later.
You might have recalled when the DJ was filed, Doug stood up and said that doing this was not a delay tactic, but a means to the end that would actually 'speed up the process', and get to a resolution 'quicker'.
Ok...so, now he says: another year and a half for a circuit court judgment, then another year for an appeal--THEN we can negotiate a contract, and that'll take another year or so.
So, how is this 'speeding up the process'?
Topic three: Why do line pilots attend these things?
Ever notice that Doug doesn't even look you in the eye when he is speaking? He's looking off to one side, heaving and sighing and trying to dumb it down for the non-MBA's in the room so they can understand him.
Sheesh. Does anyone notice that Doug has proven he takes nothing away from these meetings? Repeat questioners often ask why nothing has changed since the last time they commented about a glaring problem. Prime example: ACARS. Guys, hasn't Doug telegraphed what he thinks you and your opinions are worth? These sessions are designed to be one-way only. In this corporate structure (BTW, one of the top twenty most hated corporations in the US), crap rolls downhill. These internet episodes dump it straight from the top into employees laps. Anyone that thinks that suggestions from the bottom make it out of that room are dreaming.
So, what motivates anyone to go to these things? You can get a better lunch in the cafeteria, ya know.
Rant over.
Cheers.

exactly

My interpretation of this is: win or lose, the company is not going to pay. Obviously, if the company wins they won't be compelled to pay, but if the company loses, Doug says it just "won't happen".
Quote from Kasher "If you owe them you WILL pay them".

Quote from Kasher "If you owe them you WILL pay them".
So, what is the penalty for NOT paying? Or, for dragging your feet through the remedy phase? We've all seen the 'selective illnesses' or 'scheduling conflicts' when company officials are supposedly 'compelled' to attend important matters.
Forgive me for being cynical, but I don't see any pilot getting anything out of any of this, ever.

Did you catch DOOGIES new buzz words in the PHX crew news? Especially he tells the F/a's he is basically overstaffed, wont close PHX but goes on to say PHX is overstaffed because of LAS. And he will "OPTIMIZE" flying in PHL and CLT "just like the pilots" in a new contract! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT DOOGIE!

Reactions: 5 people
Luvthe9,

DAVE, DOUG and ERIC USAPA insiders ? Besides DC on the sytem board, you aint been correct about anything, even your hair transplant!

Did you catch DOOGIES new buzz words in the PHX crew news? Especially he tells the F/a's he is basically overstaffed, wont close PHX but goes on to say PHX is overstaffed because of LAS. And he will "OPTIMIZE" flying in PHL and CLT "just like the pilots" in a new contract! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT DOOGIE!
"optimize" is a fancy codeword for "give it to Republic".