PHX ramp new-hires get pay raise

Dale Salisbury, PHX ramp director, and all ramp managers convened a meeting in PHX A-side breakroom to announce that agents paid less than $9/hr would now receive $9/hr. Agents receiving over $9.00/hr will receive no pay increase. As he made the announcement, all managers stood with folded arms and serious faces. Senior agents were very upset and dirty looks were given to a new class of new-hires (aka glow-worms).

This sounds similar to what they did in PHL a while ago. They were having trouble keeping new hires at the lower rate of pay, so they raised the bar with hopes that more would stay with the company. Either way, $9 isn't all that great anyway, unless you still live at home with your Parents. I don't know about the PHX area, but in the NE there are several warehouse jobs that start a few dollars an hour higher in pay.

In the latest contract the iam took care of non-members(newhires) while neglecting the dues-payers. All new hires got raises while those topped out took massive pay-cuts and job losses! :down: Just another reason to get rid of the iam.

The company increased the starting pay to the next level, they have the right to do under the CBA, the IAM had nothing to do with it.

No one got raises, everyone took cuts and concessions.

It just goes to show that they prefer the new hires over the senior people. They have wanted to shed as many high senority employees as possibe due to them being at top rate. The outsourcing of the class 2 stations eliminated mostly senior agents, since many of these people were in them. It seems that the company and even the outside vendors prefer to have the "Revolving door" of employess to keep the payroll costs down. Dedication and quality of work mean nothing when they can save a few bucks... :blink:
Keep bringing in the kids fresh out of H.S. until they get wise enough to realize that they can't support a family with a $10-$13 an hour job. They will move on, and the next group will come in for a few years until they come to their senses too.

They feel you are easilty replaceable and place no value on what you do. If you work for this company you need to really get internal satisfaction from what you do or work for medical benefits or if you can travel those benefits. If you dont expect too much you wont be disappointed. In fact, dont expect anything.

US Airways boosts wages
By Donna Hogan, Tribune
June 2, 2006
Tempe-based US Airways boosted starting ramp workers wages at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport a whopping 20 percent Thursday.

The hometown airline is expected to announce today plans to hire more than 200 new ramp workers as soon as possible.

Ramp workers provide cargo, luggage and food supplies to the aircraft.

The jump in starting pay is an attempt to woo qualified applicants, said Valerie Wunder, US Airways spokeswoman.

“We did this because the Valley job market is very competitive, and in order to attract enough quality workers, we needed to do something to sweeten the deal,â€￾ Wunder said.

“It will also help in retention.â€￾

The hourly starting wage for Sky Harbor ramp workers jumps to $9 from $7.50, she said. Any Valley ramp worker making less than $9 gets an immediate raise in pay, she said.

Wunder also said the new jobs are permanent, not seasonal.

The airline plans to schedule several job fairs to recruit ramp workers. The first is 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at US Airways’ Tempe headquarters, 111 W. Rio Salado Parkway.

“We did this because the Valley job market is very competitive, and in order to attract enough quality workers, we needed to do something to sweeten the deal,â€￾ Wunder said.

“It will also help in retention.â€￾

The hourly starting wage for Sky Harbor ramp workers jumps to $9 from $7.50, she said.
so much for W's theory about jobs Americans won't do!... :lol:

Dale Salisbury, PHX ramp director, and all ramp managers convened a meeting in PHX A-side breakroom to announce that agents paid less than $9/hr would now receive $9/hr. Agents receiving over $9.00/hr will receive no pay increase. As he made the announcement, all managers stood with folded arms and serious faces. Senior agents were very upset and dirty looks were given to a new class of new-hires (aka glow-worms).
Its about time! These people work there ### off in some of the most extreme weather conditions I've seen.

I know on the IAM CBA if one group of new hires gets higher pay rates it has to be across the board for everyone in the same year of service level.

Sounds like a grievance, does the TWU CBA contain the same?

I know on the IAM CBA if one group of new hires gets higher pay rates it has to be across the board for everyone in the same year of service level.

Sounds like a grievance, does the TWU CBA contain the same?

Greivance????
Typical union response. Those who need the 20% the most are handed it by the company on its free volition, and instead of being thankful you want to grieve it?

I can see a grievance coming since the Union is probably upset it didn't get its palms greased by the company first.

I give points to US AIRWAYS for providing the 20% more than the union could muster in negotitions. I also give US AIRWAYS points for providing $50 bonus' each month even though it is non-negotiated. I also think it is not unfair to others who didn't get the raise since they already agreed to a lesser union amount.

regards,