Pilot Drunk In Helicopter Crash

RotorPilot

Senior
Mar 11, 2003
August 18, 2003 at 6:38:12 PDT

Pilot drunk in helicopter crash that killed Las Vegas woman

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) - A pilot scheduled to fly NASCAR team owner Joe Gibbs to a meeting was drunk when his helicopter crashed last year and killed a Las Vegas woman, according to federal aviation records, autopsy reports and officials.
Helicopter pilot Michael McNellis' blood-alcohol content was 0.11 percent when the helicopter he was flying plunged into swampy woodlands near the Daytona 500 Speedway in February 2002, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported.

... ... ...

Full story:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2003/aug/18/081810829.html

A very disturbing story indeed :down:

Hate to see this rare incident get to press as it paints us all the same in some narrow minds...

The full NTSB report left me wondering if this was not a isolated event in his career.
As diplorable the fact that he reported to duty at 530 am with .11 in his blood, how the heck did he ever get to 17,000 hrs if this was his regular MO.

They said his class II medical was issued with " conditions " hmmm

Anyway you look at it :down:

PedalJam said:
...the fact that he reported to duty at 530 am with .11 in his blood, how the heck did he ever get to 17,000 hrs if this was his regular MO...
:) Maybe he spent a bit of time in Sandspit, that was normal procedure up there one time...

He must have hidden it well. I don't know too many people these days that would get on board a helicopter with a drunk pilot....

LIFE IS WAY TOO SHORT!!! :wacko:

Rotorhead: I agree that the Charlottes will make anyone drink :wacko: at least i think that's what happened on a couple hunt'n trips :blink: in the 80's
The only deer i remember seeing had two legs and strawberry blond hair in QCC ;)

Booze and helo's or booze and firearms doesn't make any of us angels , at least not untill something goes terribly wrong.....

Great avtar by the way :D

Latest posts