pilot furlough crystal ball?

magsau

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
The only information I have seen has been on the ALPA forum in regards to furloughs. A low number of 300 (Steve Forte has used this number in recent meeting with the pilots) to a number of 900 that was attributed to Jeff Nooger of the MEC SSC cmte.

I know none of the other UAL pilots out there have a crystal ball on this topic but has anyone heard any info about the timing or number of future furloughs? We seem to be carrying some number of additional pilots right now and it appears to me that this is for political purposes during our ERPII negotiations. I don''t think our no-furlough clause will hold much water for the foreseeable future. Any other takes on the situation?

I think the 300 number was from ERP 1. With the recent schedule reduction it would stand to reason that we have more surplus pilots. I hope it doesn't come to pass, but the rumor I have been consistently hearing is 500-900.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/28/2002 5:39:11 PM magsau wrote:

The only information I have seen has been on the ALPA forum in regards to furloughs. A low number of 300 (Steve Forte has used this number in recent meeting with the pilots) to a number of 900 that was attributed to Jeff Nooger of the MEC SSC cmte.
----------------
How far back(in terms of hire date) will this impact pilots? A friend of mine was hired in mid 97 and I'm hoping he will survive this.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/30/2002 12:39:12 PM frequent_flyer wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/28/2002 5:39:11 PM magsau wrote:

How far back(in terms of hire date) will this impact pilots? A friend of mine was hired in mid 97 and I'm hoping he will survive this.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Your friend will survive. A mid 97 hire should have 2000+ pilots below him. My best guess is that 900 pilots would bring it to approximately late 1998 - early 1999.

Realistically, IMHO I think it will be 500-1000. But let's hope the # will be closer to 300 (or less!)

Right now the pilot furloughs have reached the April 17, 2000 class. Pretty much split that class right in half. If they do another 150, that takes it back to the March 6, 2000 class. I know that because I am 147 from the bottom. The 150 would take about 3/4 of my class. If more are announced, there were about 25 - 28 hired per week during that hiring boom. Just start counting the weeks back. I guess we will all have to wait and see.