Pilots Could Control Fate Of Us Airways

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
Pilots Could Control Fate of US Airways

Richard Sheinwald/Bloomberg News
A US Airways worker in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The airline wants $800 million of concessions from workers.

By MICHELINE MAYNARD

Published: August 24, 2004

With time running out and its future on the line, the US Airways Group will look to the leaders of the pilots' union to do tomorrow what the union's negotiators refused to do over the weekend: accept the airline's demand for $295 million in pay and benefit cuts.

US Airways seeks a total of $800 million in cuts from employees, the third round of concessions it has sought in the last two years. With critical financial deadlines at the end of September, the airline is pressing unions to come to terms by Sept. 15.

If the Air Line Pilots Association does not agree to concessions, it is unlikely that US Airways will be able to persuade any other labor groups to go along. Without the concessions, the airline will probably file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as soon as next month.

The airline's chairman and the financial advisers to the pilots' union have said there is a good chance the company will be liquidated if it falls into bankruptcy again.

But despite the shaky outlook, the airline continues to look ahead. Yesterday, it announced plans to turn Fort Lauderdale, Fla., into a minihub next year for flights to 11 destinations in the Caribbean and Latin America, tripling its service to the city.

The plan, which obviously depends on success in the talks between US Airways and its unions, would be an attempt to challenge the low-fare airlines that are the source of much of the troubles facing US Airways, particularly JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airlines.

US Airways said it would cut fares on many flights to Fort Lauderdale from various cities, including Boston and Newark.

Late last week, the pilots' union signaled that a deal with US Airways was close, but on Sunday afternoon, its bargainers rejected the latest proposal from the airline and broke off talks. The union said US Airways had dismissed "several significant proposals" by its negotiators and was continually raising its demands.

People who have been briefed on each side's proposals said yesterday that the airline was refusing to budge from its $295 million target for cuts in pilots' pay and benefits, while the union expressed willingness to accept cuts only in the range of $175 million to $180 million, along with some work-rule changes. US Airways then asked the union leadership to review its latest offer.

The union is "well aware of the need for us to implement a successful transformation plan as quickly as possible," said an airline spokesman, David Castelveter.

Phillip A. Baggaley, an industry analyst at Standard & Poor's Ratings Services, said the company's request might help break the impasse, by taking the union's negotiating team out of the picture.

There are several options available to the union's master executive council, officials said. The council could endorse the airline's proposal and schedule a ratification vote by pilots; it could put the proposal before its members for a vote without making an endorsement; it could reject the proposal; or it could ask its bargainers to reopen talks and continue working.

Whether the leadership backs the proposal or not, a "yes" vote by the pilots would give some badly needed impetus to the airline's talks with other unions.

But there is no assurance that the pilots' leaders or the rank and file would accept the airline's proposal. Either a rejection or a decision to go back to the table could be problematic, Mr. Baggaley said. "There's not a lot of time left, and all sorts of interconnected bad things can happen," he said.

By Sept. 30, US Airways must be in compliance with the terms of its federally backed loans, the basis of the restructuring that helped it emerge from bankruptcy proceedings in April 2003. The airline is talking with the Air Transportation Stabilization Board about its situation. The board has already modified the terms of US Airways' loans once; had it not done so, the airline would have been in technical default on the loans earlier this year.

The airline also faces deadlines next month related to aircraft financing provided by two builders of regional jets, Embraer and Bombardier, as well as by GE Capital.

On Friday, before the latest developments in the talks with the pilots, Standard & Poor's lowered its debt rating for US Airways to CCC, from CCC+, saying that there was an increasing risk that the labor talks would not wrap up in time. The ratings agency has cut US Airways' rating three times since the airline emerged from bankruptcy in April 2003 with a B rating.

Last week, US Airways' chairman, David G. Bronner, who heads Alabama's pension fund, warned that lenders would be unlikely to come forward with fresh money if US Airways slipped into bankruptcy again, and that a liquidation could result. The airline's chief executive, Bruce R. Lakefield, later played down that possibility while acknowledging that a bankruptcy filing was a distinct possibility.

Even so, US Airways said yesterday that it would introduce new service to Guatemala City; Panama; Kingston, Jamaica; San Salvador; and other cities. It also plans nonstop service between Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica and Puerto Rico, among other destinations.

But potential travelers on those routes may put off booking seats and buying tickets until they know whether the airline will be in business to fly them, according to Kevin P. Mitchell, chairman of the Business Travel Coalition, an advocacy group representing business travelers and corporate travel departments.

"The average person on the street has to be very confused" about US Airways' situation, Mr. Mitchell said, especially people who live in the airline's principal hub cities, Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C. "They could wake up to a headline in October some time saying, 'It's over.' "

confused?

The average person on the street has to be very confused" about US Airways' situation, Mr. Mitchell said, especially people who live in the airline's principal hub cities, Philadelphia and Charlotte, N.C. "They could wake up to a headline in October some time saying, 'It's over.' "

and from the 8/24 post gazette, bill lauer,airline analyst:

It is kind of like competing with Southwest is not enough for them," said Lauer, the airline analyst and investor. "They have now decided they want to go head-to-head with American, which dominates Miami, the Caribbean and Latin America. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me."

confused and it doesnt make alot of sense ......then there is this chapter 11 reorg into a lcc talk,

if chapter 7 liquidation does not occur...

picked a lousy day to quite drinking vodka!

Boeing Boy, question for you. Do you think that management is playing a game with ALPA in that they keep raising the demands? As in, they are slowly raising the demands to what a judge will surely give them in BK?

Just take what ever it is that they are demanding, and let the members see it and vote on it. Worst that could happen is people say no. At least there will be honesty in it, right?

El Gato,

Just in case you do take the time to read this, I'll respond.

Are they raising the demands to "what a judge will surely give them"? They may think so, but since I can't read their minds I don't know. If that is the case, one could hardly call it "negotiating", could one?

If we go into bankruptcy (and I think it's pretty close to certain), I have no idea what the judge will do. Will he/she impose a contract worse than our LCC competition (WN, B6, HP)? That's what the company is asking for.

It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that the company is after much more than the $295 million they profess to want (need?) from we pilots. Maybe they think this is the only concensual cuts they'll get and want as much as possible hoping it's enough to keep the ATSB and other creditors from pulling the plug. Maybe they just consider us "easy pickin's" - wouldn't blame them there. Who knows what's in their minds?

I guess you're not in a union, since you apparently don't realize that a ratification vote comes after an agreement is reached. Where in the "This is all we'll accept, take it or leave it" is the concept of agreement?

On the other hand, if it does come down to a vote on the company's demand, I'll think fondly of you when I cast my "No" vote.

Jim

BoeingBoy, I am in a union. The union I belong to is small in number, however, so we do not really have much say in things.

What is your problem? Why do have to be hostile and insulting all the time? I read your post, only to find you behaving like a six figure jerk. Why are you that way? When you act that way, I actually begin to HOPE that you lose your job, just so I can think that you are getting your comeuppance.

(edited by moderator).

Well, I'm not the one telling others that they should be content to get $6 or $7 an hour after 15, 20, or 25 years on the job because others will do it for that, it wasn't meant to be a career, and it's better than the alternatives, now am I.

Actually, I do feel for your plight. A sense of helplessness and being at the whim of others is not a fun place to be. But if you'd stop and think for just a minute, maybe you'd realize that the decisions that got us into this place have been made over many years, and all were made by the inhabitants of CCY. Even us "six figure jerks" are at the mercy of those at the top. It they had made good decisions, we could all have benefited. They didn't, and now we all get to suffer. The only difference is in how much we're each willing to suffer, or in how much we ask others to suffer for us.

Jim

Boeing Boy, on more thing. I read with interest the financial analyst report that ALPA had written up by a third party, Glanzer & Co. That report, in no uncertain words tells you guys that if you don't provide concessions, "You're dead". That is your OWN advisor telling you that the game is up. Don't tell me that you didn't read your own unions letter. So what are you gonna do? :blink:

BoeingBoy said:
Well, I'm not the one telling others that they should be content to get $6 or $7 an hour after 15, 20, or 25 years on the job because others will do it for that, it wasn't meant to be a career, and it's better than the alternatives, now am I.

Jim
[post="172527"][/post]​

A new company is going to offer $6 or $7 an hour to people doing the same job. If you are a company that does not have employees earning that low a wage, you are at a disadvantage, and you are going to get killed in the business. Cheaper, faster, more is the name of the game, and to plead "wah, I've been doing this for 25 years and I have nothing else" is stupid. It's not the company's problem that you never tried to better yourself, and it sure as hell is not the competitor's problem. What are you gonna do? Go over to AirTran's ticket counter and gates on the last day of your job and beat them up? Scream at some Southwest captains and call them thieves then try to shiv them? Sir, that is called being a big baby, and I feel bad for you if you think that way.

In US Airways case however, I think it is safe to say there will likely be a few captains and mechs getting the "handkercheif head" on that last day. People are going to be LIVID when they realize that their "25 year" job is no more. Me? i can take the damage...been doing my job for 8 years, able to rebuild a new life in a new place on a minutes notice. I'm not weeping. But I suspect you will on that last day. And it's gonna hit you like a ton of bricks.

"So what are you gonna do?"

Previously answered. If you're not going to read it why should I respond?

Jim

El Gato said:
Boeing Boy, on more thing. I read with interest the financial analyst report that ALPA had written up by a third party, Glanzer & Co. That report, in no uncertain words tells you guys that if you don't provide concessions, "You're dead". That is your OWN advisor telling you that the game is up. Don't tell me that you didn't read your own unions letter. So what are you gonna do? :blink:
[post="172532"][/post]​
You must be a blond

El Gato said:
(deleted by moderator)
[post="172538"][/post]​
Your hate angry and frustration is killing you a little every breathe you take, (deleted by moderators) are the ones exactly like you who blame circumstances on the other guy instead on taking hold of your own reins and stop playing the victim.

(deleted by moderator)

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

(forgot who wrote that)

BT

My Grammy always told me three things to remember in life:

1. Never argue with an idiot

2. Never try to teach a pig to dance.

3. Stay outta the way of a scorned/rejected woman