Pilots forced to fly sick and tired

ALPO NO MO

Nov 12, 2007
$4000 in emergency room bills and still called on the carpet and a week without pay? Somebody needs to call the FAA

This is MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman's message to the pilots for Tuesday, December 4th.

For the past few months, US Airways management has been attempting to intimidate pilots who have legitimately used sick time or have had to notify the company that they are fatigued. The senior management of US Airways has concocted a “work stoppage" in order to bulldoze right through your contract.

The Company has acted as the “judge, jury and executionerâ€￾ concerning the issuance of over 70 letters of discipline alleging that our fellow pilots participated in an illegal act. Not only are their actions morally repugnant, but they are a direct violation of not only our working agreement, but two settlement agreements and an arbitrator’s award.

Specifically, Chief Pilots are REQUIRED by the contract and reconfirmed by a recent arbitrator’s award to conduct a full and fair investigation concerning any allegation of misconduct of a pilot. The Company’s request to have pilots attend a meeting to “discussâ€￾ their sick call or validity of sick notes can only be portrayed in the best light as a sham. Pilots who attempted to explain the nature of their sick call were completely dismissed by their Chief Pilots. A meeting that is required by the Contract to allow a pilot the opportunity to tell his side of the story was nothing more than an avenue that allowed the Company to deliver unwarranted and excessive discipline. In fact, one pilot who was in the emergency room over the day in question and ready to produce more than $4,000 in bills was instead issued a one week suspension.

This type of action by management is not only in direct violation of our contract, but the way they are pursuing disciplinary action against scores of our pilots is nothing short of flat out harassment, attempted intimidation, and in some cases, hostage-taking.

In response, ALPA has readied a strong defense to deal with any and all of these contract violations, as your MEC Grievance Committee and ALPA legal staff have been working overtime to correct management's gross violations of our working agreement and abuse of pilots' rights. Make no mistake, your MEC elected representatives are considering all legal options available and will spare no expense in protecting our hard fought contractual provisions and the rights and reputations of our individual pilots.

Your MEC is not going to stand by and tolerate any contractual abuses or any attempt to intimidate pilots who have legitimate sick excuses and follow guidelines established in the contract. US Airways admittedly has problems with their operations, and they find it convenient to blame their problems on everything but themselves. You know the story: In the summer, it's thunderstorms. In the winter, it's snow. Now they are using an "illegal work stoppage" as the basis for their poor operations.

This harassment and abuse could create an unsafe environment for our pilots, fellow crewmembers, and our passengers. Do you want your family and loved ones flying on an airline that is attempting to force pilots to fly sick and fatigued? Remember that schedule with safety is paramount.

If you feel the same way, then I'm asking you to help your fellow pilots by taking time out of our busy holiday schedule on Thursday, December 20th at Washington National Airport to participate in picketing on the sick/fatigue issue. We must tell management that these actions will not stand unchallenged, and that we will very publicly expose their cowardly tactics for what they are.

Each of us has an opportunity to let our management know in clear terms what we think of the manner in which they are treating this pilot group. Join your fellow pilots in Washington, D.C. and send the message to management that we will not let them pick us off one at a time; that we will not let them take hostages; that we will not let any pilot on our property be made an example of; that instead of causing fear, they are solidifying our resolve. We simply can not tolerate these abuses. We will not fly sick and we will not fly fatigued.

Thanks for listening. And as always, fly safe and continue to look out for each other.

A sick note by a MD, DO or PA is all they should be able to require. If you are sick or injured you are sick or injured, period. Jack and his officers should send that one pilot's information to the FAA, along with the supporting data and the company's suspension notice. (Assuming the pilot waives privacy requirements.)

That said, why do I suspect this is fallout from the alleged sickout that was broadly posted here? As I posted many times to someone no longer here, why is that kind of stuff posted on a public message board? There is no good that can come from it, and now some unfortuante pilot who was sick or injured at the time in question probably lost 20 hours of pay and credit until the inevitable grievence gives him back his money.

Specifically, Chief Pilots are REQUIRED by the contract and reconfirmed by a recent arbitrator’s award

??? An arbitrator's award means something to the East? Oh wait...it must be to their exclusive benefit so I guess now it has legal teeth.

What a joke some people are.

??? An arbitrator's award means something to the East? Oh wait...it must be to their exclusive benefit so I guess now it has legal teeth.

What a joke some people are.

That's an ALPO referenced bit Aqua..don't get none too excited ;)

As for: "What a joke some people are"? Spend any time in your shaving mirror lately within any aspect of earnest contemplation? Your "respect" is very selective, as is your evidenced outlook.

Were our Mig killers you were so glowing over in the History Channel thread still around...you'd be dancing and squirming around trying to justify their having only "relative" seniority via Sacred Nic...After all..wouldn't you, by way of holy koolaide baptism in AWA....clearly, personally, and "righteously" deserve their seats far more than they?.....so don't even start with the insults.........you merely embarrass yourself. Would you honestly care to ask those gentlemen just what 'seniority" they'd think appropriate for you, versus their former coworkers?..based soley upon your huge "accomplishment" of getting hired at AWA? ;) This goes without much noting our "Not Ready For Prime Time"/History Channel players in the various Sandbox Games..that you'd also happily leapfrog over in a heartbeat..given the clear sanctity of bearing the AWA Tattoo. All Your "Wow....I never knew"...."I didn't know"/etc does you fullest credit as an alleged USN aviator.....and a leading advocate of the AWA standard horescrap..........what else is easilly contained within your "never knew/didn't know" AWA household?

As you've said: "I can't imagine why any pilot wouldn't go to PSA, Southwest, Hughes Air West or the old Frontier back then. That's where all the good flying was." Was AWA "the good flying" when you applied?....Honestly? ;)

I can easilly imagine the AWA hiring process for any seriously qualified pilot by way of USN/etc, just plainly down on his luck = "OK: Let's play "Deal, or No Deal"....Howie: "You're having a really bad year. You've somehow given away ALL the cases containing major airlines...you're down to having a single shot at Airtran in case #1,....or otherwise in case #2; a Mack truck shoved sideways up your keister in the unemployment line"..the banker calls with "You can have a seat at AWA"...you push the button...'nuff said. Naturally, this would equate to a need for some "payback" via instant seniority I guess?

The east's hardly filled with only Beowulfs....We've our slight share of pathetic wimps out here as well. They won't be anything even slightly close enough for the west to count on, much less triumph by. Isn't it time for us to try actually reasoning with each other?

Back to the primary thread issue: No one should fly if sick...period. Such is against FAA regs and personal responsibility...again..period.

A sick note by a MD, DO or PA is all they should be able to require. If you are sick or injured you are sick or injured, period. Jack and his officers should send that one pilot's information to the FAA, along with the supporting data and the company's suspension notice. (Assuming the pilot waives privacy requirements.)

That said, why do I suspect this is fallout from the alleged sickout that was broadly posted here? As I posted many times to someone no longer here, why is that kind of stuff posted on a public message board? There is no good that can come from it, and now some unfortuante pilot who was sick or injured at the time in question probably lost 20 hours of pay and credit until the inevitable grievence gives him back his money.

I agree that little good will come of posting this type of stuff here, mainly because only the hard-core posters and lurkers will ever hear of it. This type of thing needs to be sent to the FAA and then sent to the "USA Today" in the form of a full page ad. The traveling public needs to know that USAirways pushes its pilots in this fashion. An ad like that would also get the FAA off its collective fat a** and do something about it. Like maybe a $100,000 fine for each of the 70 pilots the company "pushed" over this fiasco.

Nothing at all will come of the posts here. The forum, though entertaining for our "exclusive club" of members, is nothing more than a sometimes-heated coffee klatsch.

I agree that little good will come of posting this type of stuff here, mainly because only the hard-core posters and lurkers will ever hear of it. This type of thing needs to be sent to the FAA and then sent to the "USA Today" in the form of a full page ad.

USA Today as well as every newspaper in America is accustomed to getting correspondence form the fringes of society who feel that the editors will agree and promote what is really a case of self-pity and victimization. There is nothing wrong going on here, but feel free to go ahead and send them something. :lol:

That's an ALPO referenced bit Aqua..don't get none too excited ;)
And USAPA would be any different? Come on...

USA Today as well as every newspaper in America is accustomed to getting correspondence form the fringes of society who feel that the editors will agree and promote what is really a case of self-pity and victimization. There is nothing wrong going on here, but feel free to go ahead and send them something. :lol:

Duh! Did you even read my post?

I'm talking paid advertisement, not looking for editorial pity from the USA Today.

And USAPA would be any different? Come on...

aquagreen73s
Rating: 0
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Posts
Posted on: Sep 14 2005, 12:27 AM

Veteran

Group: Registered Member
Member No.: 7,649

Soldwholesale,

I'm a pilot who has deliberately divorced myself from the situation and refuse to get worked up about the integration becuase whatever we say as pilots is meaningless. The process is a very political process and arbitration willl grind along to put the government stamp on whatever ALPO comes up with. That said, I am very interested in what happened to you mainline pilots now caught in the MDA debacle. Can you explain your post point by point, giving me whatever backgroud you'd need to explain it to somebody who knows nothing of the situation:

"There is nothing wrong going on here....."

Yup.."nothing wrong" all right. Did you miss the following?:

"In fact, one pilot who was in the emergency room over the day in question and ready to produce more than $4,000 in bills was instead issued a one week suspension. "

Of course there's nothing wrong going on. It doesn't affect him.

That's what unionism means to these guys out there. Me, me, me, me, me.

Guys & Gals,

This is more hardball from Labor Relations. Seems to me I remember this same tactic from Hemenway and Glass during BKI & BKII. One thing I've observed is that the more arrogance and ego at the top the more likely a company is to manage through fear and intimidation. Look no further than what I hear and you see at Mesa!!!

Further, this is yet another attempt to force the parties to the table before the USAPA elections IMO. Think about what happens if through some minor miracle, ALPA gets a transition agreement done prior to the vote on representation?? USAPA could lose a lot of momentum, not to mention the election, then the Nic award gets implemented and bingo game, set, match for US Airways.

You're being played IMO. This is a typical Jerry Glass distraction designed to further divide and conquer. It's pretty clear to me that US Airways wants to deal with ALPA not USAPA. This little charade allows ALPA to ride in on a white horse and say "See how we support you? Why would you vote against us?"

Anyone want to bet these "Issues" get resolved in ALPA's favor about a week before the election for representation????

To the brethren on the west. Think about this beyond Nic for a moment. You know far better than I or anyone on the East side just how dificult it is to get a raise out of DP and SK. Do you think they want to deal with a brand new union that has shown some very militant tendencies or play softball with ALPA? So at least in that respect ALPA is a "Company Union" and therefore their motives are suspect. They also stand to lose lots and lots of dues money if US goes to USAPA. All you have to do is follow the money and look who the winners and losers would be in any scenario and it will become quite clear who is really trying to ream who.

Don't be blinded by the Nic Award, that's what everyone in management wants. Look at the historical and bigger picture before you decide. Nic is but one facet.

Fully concur on all counts. The timing's highly suspect of itself. Picture-Perfect framing of a "poster child" with abundant medical issues documented is also of interest. Talk about a slowly lobbed pitch right over the plate.... I'd further note that Mr Parker's on record claiming routine conversations with the head of Alpa and the respective MECs. Doubltess such conversations are purely and entirely about the Nic award...well...with perhaps a casual reference to the weather...and even some genial wishes for "mutual health and well being". Aye...there's the rub.

If this really happened like APLO N MO says, then this should go to a court of law, not a union grievance board. I'm sure there's a really good labor lawyer that would absolutely love to get their teeth into this one. The pilot involved could wind up owning LCC.

Piney, you're out of your element again. USAPA will be the company union in short order (should the travesty prevail) for no other reason than they will have no money to operate with. Once the east sees that the west is getting by fine without paying a cent in dues, they will likely do the same. USAPA will be forced to represent the pilots in bad standing anyhow, and soon the attorneys for USAPA will own USAPA. Thus USAPA will be under financial pressure to accomodate the company at every turn to avoid expensive litigation. A war chest is a handy thing to have. An empty one is useless.

I understand USAPA has named a their new grievance committee, Capt. D. Claude and Capt. Newt Urd. Please welcome them aboard.

Glass is EVIL, he'd step on his own mother's neck to cram down a deal as long it made him richer.

Latest posts