Pilots Pension Not Terminated

spacewaitress

Senior
Aug 27, 2002
I wish the current retirees luck, but when is there going to be a decision on this? I can see it now...everyone BUT pilots and execs having their pensions cut. That is possible, yes? I can just see it now if that happens, it'll be jihad at UAL. The fun never ends here, or the surprises.

WEBSITE UPDATE 05/10/05

Judge Wedoff, on May 10, 2005 approved the United-Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC) agreement regarding the need to terminate United Airlines’ four Defined Benefit Pension Plans. Judge Wedoff determined the United-PBGC agreement does not violate ERISA or the Railway Labor Act. He further concluded the agreement is in the best interests of United Airlines and that the benefits United will receive from the agreement balanced out what United agreed to provide to the PBGC.

This approval of the United-PBGC agreement does NOT terminate the Pilots’ Defined Benefit Pension Plan.

In fact, the United-PBGC agreement provides “the execution of the Trustee (PBGC) agreement with respect to the Pilots’ Defined Benefit Plan will occur only after the conclusion of the currently pending Pilot Plan involuntary termination litigation resulting in plan termination." This means URPBPA remains free to protect the plan and to contest the PBGC litigation to bring about a decision that does not result in termination.

No trial date has been scheduled for the involuntary plan termination litigation to commence. URPBPA will strongly defend the continuation of retired pilots' pension payments.

The 1113 hearings on United’s request to abrogate the IAM’s and AMFA’s collective bargaining agreements will commence on Wednesday, May 11, 2005.

May 12, 2005

Dear URPBPA Member,

We are receiving numerous questions concerning exactly what happened in Court on May 10. The confusion arises from reports in the press that all of United's Defined Benefit Pension Plans have been terminated as a result of the Judge's decision. THESE REPORTS ARE NOT ACCURATE! URPBPA's May 10, 2005 report to you via the website and e-mail is accurate. The United Airlines Pilots' Defined Benefit Pension Plan has NOT been terminated. It may be in the future, but not as of now. No one can predict the eventual outcome at this time.

The press walks out of a courtroom, phones in their version of the events, and has it on the air, in print, or on a website within minutes. They address only the major aspects of a court hearing, usually in a much-simplified form. Judge Wedoff's decision on May 10 covered a large number of issues; the press only reported on the most headline-worthy,
and they did not get those entirely correct. When URPBPA posts an update on our website or sends it to our members, we go to great lengths to make sure it is an accurate description of what happened and where we are. This is the reason it takes us several hours to get our website updates posted. They are being reviewed by our attorneys and Board members to insure their accuracy.

Judge Wedoff approved the UAL-PBGC agreement which permits the termination of the four plans. Absent reversal or stay by appeal of this ruling, UAL and the PBGC may administratively deal with the other plans, but the Pilot Plan will not be terminated unless there is a conclusion of the case (the "PBGC case") involving PBGC, United, ALPA and URPBPA which results in a termination of the Pilot Plan. In the PBGC case, the PBGC will attempt to prove that: 1) the pilot Plan should be terminated; and 2) the termination date should be effective as of December 30, 2004. URPBPA was allowed to intervene in the PBGC case and will fight the PBGC. URPBPA's position is that the Pilot Plan
should not be terminated. ALPA also intervened in the PBGC case and has indicated that it will "litigate forcefully" the December 30, 2004 termination date proposed by the PBGC and that United has agreed to support ALPA in that battle. No dates have been set yet for a resolution of the PBGC case, although we will be in court on May 20, 2005 to confer with the other parties and the Judge about the status of the case.

Your benefits will continue to be paid until and unless there is a resolution of the PBGC case that brings about a termination of the Pilot Plan. URPBPA will do everything it can to resist such a result and to protect the Pilot Plan.

Some of you have asked what URPBPA did to "vigorously defend" our position at the hearing on Tuesday. Two of our attorneys, Jack Carriglio and Frank Cummings, made oral arguments before the Judge. However, unlike Perry Mason stories, real cases, particularly civil cases, are largely resolved by submitting your arguments in written
form, called briefs. The judge reads the written material and frequently comes into court with a good idea of how he or she is going to rule. The oral arguments in open court focus on clarification of the judge's questions about the briefs, answering objections to other's briefs (most of Tuesday's session), last minute changes to positions, or
emotional appeals.

URPBPA filed a 14 page brief on 05-06-05 objecting to the PBGC agreement. (Judge Wedoff, like many judges, limits briefs to 15 pages unless special dispensation is given.) In addition, extensive reports from our actuary and investment advisor supporting our objections were filed with the court. These were filed "under seal", or without public
access, because they contain confidential data supplied by United. Our arguments, like the arguments of the AFA, IAM and AMFA, apparently were not persuasive, as the court found that the benefit to United's business from shifting pension obligations to the PBGC outweighed the damage to retirees and employees.

The URPBPA brief in its entirety is available on our website under the documents pull-down menu. It is labeled URPBPA Filing 05-06-2005. Finally, a number of you have asked why we can't report all of this in "simple, layman's language?" If you think this is complicated, it's because it is! These are complex legal issues, detailed in literally
hundreds of pages of written documents and hours of oral arguments. We try to make these communications understandable, but do not want to fall into the trap the media fell into in this case. We don't want to simplify at the risk of inaccurately reporting the situation.

Fear not, spacewitress.

The pilot's pension is history. Unless I am mistaken, I believe the sticking point with the pilot's plan is whether it is terminated in December '04 when the PBGC made a pre-emptive move to claim the pilot's pension (and only the piot's pension), or if the termination date is later, as agreed to by ALPA and the company when we ratified our last concessionary agreement.

Don't worry. If it makes you feel any better, you can rest assured that the pilots are going to get screwed with regard to pensions just as much as you. Probably much more so.

It's really not a matter of 'feeling' better, just a matter of all sharing the pain. I don't necessarily agree about pilots getting the 'better' screw though. It looks like the mechanics may get convertible bonds along with the pilots. More power to them! The flight attendants, or course will end up with a measely 3% match. I believe in the end that's probably the worst deal of all of us.

spacewaitress said:
It's really not a matter of 'feeling' better, just a matter of all sharing the pain. I don't necessarily agree about pilots getting the 'better' screw though. It looks like the mechanics may get convertible bonds along with the pilots. More power to them! The flight attendants, or course will end up with a measely 3% match. I believe in the end that's probably the worst deal of all of us.
[post="269495"][/post]​

I agree, lets match the "pain"!! So when are you going to match the percent paycut of the pilots? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure the F/A's got the worst deal there, spacewaitress. I'd gladly switch places with any flight attendant if we're talking pay and pension cuts. Any pilot, management guy, or mechanic would.

Not only did the F/A's not give up as much as the pilots as a % of total compensation, but also they are not losing as much with the cancellation of their pensions as management, mechanics, and the pilots. I doubt the typical flight attendant understands this fact, but perhaps you can explain it to them now that you understand the situation. If the flight attendants seemingly got the "worst deal," it's only because out of all the employee groups, they got screwed the least. Let me reitierate: We all know the flight attendants got screwed. Just not screwed as hard as 3 other employee groups that will likely get a slightly better deal concerning the convertible bonds because LESS of their pension is covered by the PBGC.

So fear not. Plenty of pilots, mechanics, and management personnel will lose their houses, their cars, and other luxuries, and suffer great financial harm, just as the other groups have. Their pensions are GONE.

And if I may humbly make a suggestion to the flight attendants who are watching the pension cancellation video on the AFA website. Before you guys freak out at the HUGE pension cuts you "seemingly" will be taking after watching that video, particularly the senior f/a's, keep in mind that the examples in that AFA video are based upon a flight attendant who retires in their mid 50's (I think it was 54 or 56, I can't remember). Although that may be the average retirement age for a UAL flight attendant, I very much doubt that is the average retirement age for other professionals.

If you look at this table on the PBGC.gov website http://www.pbgc.gov/services/descriptions/...antee_table.htm you can see that if one is eligible for the maximum benefit (I doubt many f/a's will be eligible for the max benefit but some may be), you can see that by retiring at 55 vs 62 there is a HUGE difference in benefits, about a 57%(!) difference. And the difference would probably be proportional even if you're not eligible for the max benefit. Someone ought to tell their AFA leaders that they should notify their members of this information because from what I'm seeing on the line, they are scaring the crap out of some of the f/a's close to retirement.

And for all, I contacted the PBGC by telephone a few days back with some questions that I had. UAL participants now have a special phone number we can call if we have any questions concerning the cancellation of our pensions and what we might "generally" expect for benefits. Here's the info I received, and in my opinion they were very knowledgable (and sympathetic!):

United Airlines has set up a special hotline to assist participants. You may wish to contact this hotline for additional information. Participants may call 1-866-317-3405 between the hours of 7AM – 7PM CDT, Monday through Friday.

Isn't there a silver lining here to the pension issue? Now that the PBGC will within weeks take over the plans, employees no longer have to stay with UAL to protect the pensions they worked so hard for. Is this not a BIG positive? You do not have to stay in an industry that is hell bent on self destruction.

You are now free to seek other employment, start your own business, enjoy life a little bit, and STILL have most or all of the pension money that you good folks were counting on (sorry pilots). Also, if you are over age 50 in most cases you can collect your pension money while employeed elsewhere (PBGC does cut benefit for early retirement but still a good option to have).

I know that this is a bad deal for many, but I think IMHO this gives thousands of you the reason to get the heck out and save on the stress levels.

Many of you have cut back on spending since 9-11, saving for the rainy day. I propose that the time to make a break is now.

Good Luck! :)