Pilots Urge Other Northwest Unions To Take Cuts

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Posted on Thu, May. 19, 2005

Pilots urge other Northwest unions to take cuts

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - In an effort to preserve jobs and save Northwest Airlines from potential bankruptcy, the head of the pilots union is urging other unions to accept cuts.

Last November, Northwest's pilots accepted a 15 percent pay cut, becoming the first of the airline's major labor groups to ratify a contract that reflects the company's financial situation.

Northwest airline lost $458 million during the first quarter and is attempting to reduce its annual labor costs by $1.1 billion.

"The time has come for all union leaders to move beyond denial and anger and act responsibly for the good of their members," said Mark McClain, chairman of the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association.

The pilots' new contract saves the Eagan-based airline $265 million a year, and Northwest has reduced the compensation of its salaried employees by $35 million a year.

"Northwest, just like the other major carriers, cannot avoid bankruptcy if it continues to lose money at the current rate. It's that simple," McClain said in a memo to Northwest pilots.

A Northwest spokesman declined Wednesday to comment on the pilots' memo. Andrea Fischer Newman, Northwest's senior vice president of government affairs, did not speculate on the potential for a bankruptcy filing.

Read it here.

Ual liquidation AROUND THE CORNER? Your energy spent over here should be spent looking for the nearest unemployment office. Don't hate us cause we haven't been BANKRUPT (LIKE UNITED) for THREE years, and STILL a FINANCIAL DISASTER! :p

2 1/2, but who's counting?

fyi - I didn't write the article, so don't get yourself all in a huff.

These are issues that we are ALL AWARE. Employees do not need a big mouth, whom has forgotten he's a pilot. Bad Bad move when you start sticking your nose into the affairs of other unions. BIG TIME can of WORMS. I imagine most of his colleagues are not too happy with him this morining. His colleagues should suggest he keep his mouth focused on pilot issues. As for you not writing the article fly, your veiled moment of false glee...was, and is, just that....false. Northwest will meet it's challenges, and prosper. We have been there before.

The only "glee" in seeing trouble at NW is that my cousin is a pilot for you (and the guy is a total nitwit) In fact, the bonehead move by Mark McClain would have been something he would be prone to do. :p

"Hmmm, NxNW seems more than a bit touchy --- and dated!

Chairman Mark McLain should be applauded for his leadership.

Vote him out and you are no better than an UAW member. " Not touchy, just telling you like it is. As for the UAW crack. You are correct... I am NO BETTER than an auto worker, and am proud of it. Think about your crack next time you go reach for your car keys and wonder if the breaks or gas pedal is working properly. Get off of your high horse dear friend...you are much too grand for my taste. I suggest you concern yourself with your joke of a leadership at that wreck of an airline you work for. Your group (pilots of Ual) should be the last to offer advice...(even for a lemon-aid stand) Allow us to handle the vaccum your "leadership" helped create. Suffice it to say...we'll still be here next year. Any Union leader that makes a public statement like this ought to be re-evaluated...asap.

In September of 1998 the pilots felt strongly enough about the issues facing them in negotiations to strike NWA and got an agreement they found acceptable. What the rest of us got was two weeks off without pay while they resolved their issues.

When the mechanics found themselves in a similar position three years later, the pilots, both through their union and individually, were pressing us to accept the company's "last, best offer", AMFA thanked them for their input then negotiated a far better agreement for our members.

While I appreciate Mr. McLain's opinion, I would prefer if he would allow the representatives for the other bargaining units to represent their members and concentrate his efforts on representing his.

If NWA were making an honest attempt to negotiate at the table, rather than simply making demands there then attempting to negotiate through the media, they would have already reached an agreement with the Technicians. The failure to reach an agreement thus far rests entirely on the shoulders of NWA management. For Mr. McLain to imply otherwise is either disengenuous or merely uninformed.

I might add...I respect and appreciate the dedication of the women and men of the NWA pilot ranks. However, unless Signore. Mc Lain is going to offer financial aid in the contract process, do as the other Unions have done for them. Stay out of it.

NByNW,

Hey there my nwa friend and type A passionate f/a! I understand your frustration. I think..........I could be wrong......that Mark was speaking not to slam anyone but to give wisdom. For whatever that is worth. But.........I do not know the man. I speak only for myself. You guys and the mechanics have been through some very rough and unfair times. The pilots see that and appreciate your position. ALPA spent a ton of money to have an outside auditor come in and do a fair study of NWA. They said that NWA did in fact need the reduction in costs and that is why we chose to give back. I hope that we can all be wise and choose (each union on their own) to give or not to give while looking at the facts. If we chant the mantra "FULL PAY TO THE LAST DAY" like others have........we may find ourselves in the same situation. Lets back each other. I back you guys 100%! I wish for us all the best...... :)

NWA 400, as I agree with most of what you say. I do not think you would find it helpful for the leaders of other Unions to "offer" wisdom or "guidance" to the pilot ranks. Clearly, they have far more to lose in a bankruptcy. Naturally, they are the most concerned, the first "onboard". Pilots fly airplanes and make an incredible amount of money for the time spent at work. Many of us have disciplines that required just as much formal training as did pilots. It is with extreme bad taste for a pilot to assume that they know best for all. As the pilots reached their point of view according to their time frame (without interference or comments of other Union leaders) so shall we. Public discussion of these issues is distastfull and of poor leadership skills IMHO. I would infer that his comments have caused more of a hinderance than assistance. We could've very well have publicly asked the pilots ranks why did they jepordized the security of the company and the other employees with a strike that cost us $1.5 Billion when it benefitted only them. "ALPA spent a ton of money to have an outside auditor come in and do a fair study of NWA". Yes you did. PFAA just purchased the report from NWA ALPA. So, as you can see, we are award of the issues the airline is facing. See the point...the big picture? Safe flying.

How dare Mark McClain try and tell everyone what's best for them. His continued pimping of the company's agenda is really getting stale.

When the company makes good on the rest of our stock from the last go-around, then maybe we'll listen (but, hey, you guys got paid for yours, right?).

What a clown.

Ok, Ok, I understand how you feel and I agree. I dont think it was a smart move at all for Mark to speak of these things in public. I was just giving a speculative reason of why Mark spoke. BUT.....I dont agree with how he did it. I think that if he wanted to say ANYTHING he could have done it in private and with a little more taste. Not pushing but with respect. Not with the attitude of superiority but with genuine respect and knowledge that we are speaking to our brothers and sisters. Not looking down our noses. NEVER! I hope you are not right about hindering the process that you are going through. When I said ALPA spent a ton of money.....I was not looking at it as ME spending a ton of money but what I was saying is that we were gathering knowledge. I had no idea that you guys had to purchase that info.........if you ask me.......that was in VERY poor taste for Alpa to SELL it to you. If I were chief.......you would have gotten it for free. It is just not right to sell somehting like that to fellow employees. Yep, I see your point. I do get the big picture. I care about all employees.......not just pilots. Oh, one thing that I do disagree with you about. About the making INCREDIBLE amounts of money for the time spent at work......this issue comes up all the time. Well, all pilots wages are going down fast so for all those that think they do not deserve the wages........I guess it is a small victory. I just get the big picture of wages and if you will compare our wages to other professionals...........it is not that incredible. I am not the 26 year old that is building a 450k house or driving a sports car. I know that F/A's are very well educated. I would never slam ANY f/a for making a good salary. NEVER. Compare a new hire first officer or engineers wages and time gone........1500 a month and gone 266 hours. That is 5.63 dollars an hour. Wow, that is what I made? Again, I do not nor do you have to defend wages. Yes, NbyNW I do get the big picture and hope the best for all. Happy con-trails!

Kev.........you are right. We did get our stock. For what is is worth now. I think you are right for being angry and I would be too. I would settle that issue before I did ANYTHING else also. " (but, hey, you guys got paid for yours, right?)." I hope by saying this your comment was directed to MARK only and not other pilots. I will never have an attitude of "I got mine, pull up the rope." Nor, do I think that is the average pilots view. Guys and gals......it is not us against each other. Lets not take the bait so to speak ........lets encourage and not talk down. I hope all nwa f/a's get their due! ooohh, before you say yes to anything.

NWA400, as a single engine weekend flyer...I have nothing but respect for the responsibility that goes with flying a big ship. Just as I do for the men and women who work on these machines and hold our lives in their hands if a screw is missing or a system fails. The big picture is the fantastic operation works because of ALL of us....take one slice of the pizza out and it all comes to a halt. NWA has ALWAYS had the most productive workforce of the majors...and WE paid for it. I have no doubt that we will see our (NWA) way out of this. Safe flying all!