pit base closes

US Airways to Reduce Pittsburgh Service in Early 2008
Oct. 3, 2007

US Airways (NYSE: LCC) today announced it plans to reduce mainline flying in January from 31 to 22 daily flights, focusing on customers’ preferred destinations, as the airline continues to maximize the financial stability of its Pittsburgh operation. As part of the new schedule, regional flying to smaller cities is expected to be reduced from 77 to 46 daily flights. Most of the expected reductions for smaller cities reflect decisions that we expect to be made by independent regional carriers that develop their own plans and schedules. These carriers have not finalized their schedules so the overall level of Express flying may change.

With the reduced schedule, the airline’s flight crew base will close and approximately 500 pilots and flight attendants will now bid for trips that originate from other domiciles within the US Airways system. Also with the new schedule, US Airways mainline airport agents and ramp employees will take over customer service and ground-handling duties for 350 US Airways Express employees at wholly owned carrier PSA Airlines, Inc. Those Express employees, along with about 100 US Airways mainline airport employees, will be offered jobs elsewhere throughout the US Airways system.

“We’ve worked very carefully over the past two years to make the right decisions at Pittsburgh for our customers and the airline as a whole, always mindful of the impact those decisions may have on our employees,†said Doug Parker, US Airways chairman and CEO. “Unfortunately our ability to operate profitably from Pittsburgh has been sharply eroded over the past few years and the hub lost more than $40 million over the past 12 months alone. We need to acknowledge the economic realities of today and move forward so that our Pittsburgh service provides a positive contribution to our system as a whole. Even after these flight reductions, US Airways will still fly more flights to more cities from Pittsburgh than any other airline.

“This was a very difficult decision, primarily because of the impact it has on an outstanding group of US Airways and PSA employees. We are committed to ensuring that all affected employees are treated fairly and compassionately. We are offering jobs elsewhere on the US Airways system to all affected ground employees, and those who choose not to accept such a move will be offered severance pay,†Parker said.

The airline reaffirmed its commitment to build a new 600-employee Operations Control Center at Pittsburgh, and the airline will continue to employ 730 mechanics at its heavy maintenance base at the Pittsburgh airport. “US Airways has a proud history in Pittsburgh and will continue to be a major employer in the area,†Parker said.

For more information on this announcement, please visit awaCompass and theHub, where the following information available for our employees.

Letters from CEO Doug Parker, Ed Bular and Sherri Shamblin
Video interview with President Scott Kirby
Frequently Asked Questions
Additionally, representatives from Human Resources, Flight Ops and InFlight will be in PIT over the next few days and weeks to answer questions and provide information for our employees about their options.

Copyright © 2007, US Airways, Inc.

OMG....it has finally happened. My thoughts are with the PIT FAs and pilots. My friend just told me that the flying would increase in DCA and CLT as a result of the base closure. Good luck to all of those as they make difficult decisions regarding their professional and personal lives.

This is very sad news. I wonder if the Club will go? Probably not since smaller cities like GSO and TPA have a club.

I guess the only routes w/ mainline will be the hubs + focus cities(PHL,CLT,PHX,LAS,DCA,LGA,BOS) and maybe some west coast city like SFO, LAX and midcon DEN. I'm guessing ORD flying will get reduced to 1 mainline from 2.

To make it work, we should send out those E190's to PIT and save PIT.

What do I think will not stay?

Well with this there is even a lesser chance of any Europe flights.

I think CUN and SJU might go though I don't know how well they perform and some Florida state routes may go such as FLL. Now competing with WN and FL and USA3000.

Again sad news, and I wish all the PIT crews all the best!

OMG....it has finally happened. My thoughts are with the PIT FAs and pilots. My friend just told me that the flying would increase in DCA and CLT as a result of the base closure. Good luck to all of those as they make difficult decisions regarding their professional and personal lives.
thank you so much for the kind words it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Just yet another way these idiots who run this company screw with our lives. From the people in PIT who will get dispacled to the countless people in other bases, especially PHL who will go back on reserve. God I hate this place.

truly a sad, sad day for pit, usair, and the fine employees who've given so much, so proudly over so many years.
what a sad, sad day...

as much as i knew this was going ot happen. it's still a little shocking. godbless all the employees in pit.

Just yet another way these idiots who run this company screw with our lives. From the people in PIT who will get dispacled to the countless people in other bases, especially PHL who will go back on reserve. God I hate this place.

Can you say BUYOUT...........................

Are you listening you useless union??????????

While I believed that PIT wasn't viable as a hub anymore, I truly didn't think it would come to this. I am sorry to all of those great employees in PIT. I have never met a nicer group of people than the PIT base. Also such a shame that the great airport that Pittsburgh built for US Airways will now never know its full potential again.

At AA, if a f/a base is closed, all bases are technically open for transfers--i.e., the f/as being displaced can go to any base they desire--as long as domestic f/as go only to domestic and International only to International. It doesn't matter whether or not there are "openings" in a base.

How is it handled at US Airways? How many f/as are being displaced?

My thoughts to all of you. Since recall from furlough, I've had to commute. I love my base, but moving there is not an option, and commuting can be a major pain in the kiester.

With the reduced schedule, the airline’s flight crew base will close and approximately 500 pilots and flight attendants will now bid for trips that originate from other domiciles within the US Airways system.

sky high states: Wow! This is surreal. Mecca closed. 500 SENIOR crewmembers now bumping into other bases. Hundreds more commuters. Lives changed.

SAD DAY for many. BEST OF LUCK!

Pittsburgh CREWS are the best, best in the system. You're FAMILY. I'll welcome you.

only stating opinions

Latest posts