PIT F/A & husband seriously injured in car accident

songbirdstew

Senior
Sep 10, 2003
Wendy Oldiges who is a PIT F/A currently working in the PIT admin office and husband Joel, a former PIT F/A were were struck by a car while walking near their home on Tuesday, September 25th.
Joel had his surgery yesterday. They removed a blood clot near his brain. He also had three
broken bones and a crushed pelvis. Joel is still in the SICU at Allegheny General Hospital. Wendy
was struck pretty hard on her head. Though she had some bleeding and trauma, she is recovering also at Allegheny General Hospital. They are expected to survive but it will be a long recovery.
The Oldiges have two teenage children. A fund has been started to help w/ medical expenses. If anyone is interested in assisting, please contact PIT Inflight Services...any and all prayers are appreciated.

Residents want changes at Beaver intersection

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?n...78569&rfi=6 <

By: Bill Vidonic, Times Staff

09/26/2007

BEAVER - In his 18 years as a police officer, Beaver Sgt. Dan Madgar has seen "a lot" of accidents
at Market and Fifth streets in the borough.
Motorists come barreling down Dutch Ridge Road from Brighton Township into Beaver, or folks along
Fifth Street drive through stop signs, putting themselves in the path of a hurtling mass of metal
and glass.
Tuesday, two more names were added to the list of victims of the intersection. A Beaver couple was
seriously injured as they were crossing the street. Police couldn't remember the last time a
pedestrian was injured in the intersection.
Beaver police officer Kenneth McCoy said Patricia Marion, 77, of Dutch Ridge Road was driving
either at or close to the posted 25 mile an hour speed limit on Market Street, headed toward home
in the dark.
McCoy said that Marion didn't see Joel and Wendy Oldiges, who weren't in a crosswalk, as they
crossed the intersection around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, and it's likely that the couple didn't see
Marion's car and stepped into its path.
McCoy said there's a large tree that blocks a nearby light and casts a shadow on the road, and he
thinks that played a part in the accident. He added that Marion's car was functioning properly, and
he didn't think she would face any charges.
The Oldigeses, who live adjacent to the accident scene on Market Street, were flown to Allegheny
General Hospital in Pittsburgh, where Joel Oldiges, 48, was listed in critical condition. His
mother, Joanne Oldiges of Charlotte, N.C., said he had head injuries, as well as a broken arm, leg,
pelvis and punctured lung.
Wendy Oldiges, 46, had head injuries, and also was listed in critical condition.
McCoy said they are expected to survive but face a long recovery.
Wendy Oldiges is an employee of US Airways; Joel is a former employee of the same company, Joanne
Oldiges said.

Wednesday afternoon, as a Times reporter and photographer stood at the intersection, two vehicles
on Fifth pulled across the intersection into the path of drivers coming down Dutch Ridge Road.
A group of Beaver Area School District students dashed across the bottom of Dutch Ridge Road as
well, with no crossing guard in sight. While there are three crosswalks at the intersection, the
students dashed across the only part of the intersection that doesn't have a crosswalk.
Madgar said that in the past, the borough has lobbied PennDOT to put a red light at the
intersection, but was told by the state agency that it would be too expensive.
Madgar said he'd like to see, at minimum, a flashing light warning motorists heading down Dutch
Ridge Road of the intersection ahead. A PennDOT spokesman did not return a phone message Wednesday.
The accident was investigated by Beaver and Brighton Township police departments, along with the
Beaver County detectives bureau.
Times staff writer Cory Nealon contributed to this report.
Bill Vidonic can be reached online at [email protected]. <

©Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2007

A fund has been started to help w/ medical expenses. If anyone is interested in assisting, please contact PIT Inflight Services...any and all prayers are appreciated.

sky high states: OMG, how terrible. Anyone have information on how to contribute to the fund?
Address?

only stating opinions

In the 90's our children attended same elem school. Knew them well. Two of the finest folk I know and great employees.
Two beautiful daughters. I will be praying!
FA

sky high states: OMG, how terrible. Anyone have information on how to contribute to the fund?
Address?
only stating opinions

I wish them a speedy recovery and its times like this I wish I could tell payroll to cash out one of my vac days for them. It could go right into a fund. Best wishes, that a tough situatuion for the kids.

Thanks to all for their prayers and offers to help. If you would like the address, please feel free to PM me.

Just bumping this thread to the top, so people who are out flying, coming home can read it and, possibly help out. Before it disappears onto page 2.

only stating opinions

Thanks to everyone who PMd me to get the address for Wendy and Joel !!! You are all amazing in the way that you are reaching out !!! A few of you know them but most don't and just want to help. The group of employees and pax at USAirways are the BEST !!!! Thank You for your kindness !!!!!:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Latest posts