Pit-lgw Back For 04 Summer

AM49AAA

Aug 20, 2002
Press Release Source: US Airways

US Airways to Resume Pittsburgh-London Service for Summer 2004
Tuesday December 9, 11:20 am ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways announced today that it will reinstate nonstop seasonal service between Pittsburgh and London's Gatwick Airport beginning May 1, 2004.
The flights will operate daily through Oct. 29, 2004, using Boeing 767 aircraft. Flights will depart Pittsburgh at 5:50 p.m., and will arrive in London at 6 a.m., the following morning. Return flights will depart London at 11:55 a.m., and will arrive in Pittsburgh at 3:25 p.m. Customers will be able to begin purchasing tickets on these flights on Dec. 10, 2003.

In a meeting on Dec. 5, 2003, Allegheny County Chief Executive-elect Dan Onorato asked US Airways to evaluate the viability of resuming the route for next year.

"We had looked at utilizing the aircraft for other seasonal flying, but have concluded that in conjunction with the commitment to fly our existing schedule at Pittsburgh through next October, Pittsburgh-London Gatwick service is a viable alternative. We know that the service is used by business and leisure travelers alike, and hope this is good news for the local community," said US Airways Senior Vice President of Corporate Affairs Chris Chiames. "Meanwhile, we look forward to working with Mr. Onorato to explore alternatives for a long-term solution that reduces costs at Pittsburgh International Airport, following our productive meeting with him last week."

From Pittsburgh, US Airways operates international flights to four destinations, with daily nonstop service to Frankfurt and San Juan, Puerto Rico; weekend nonstop service to Cancun; and seasonal weekend nonstop service to Montego Bay.

US Airways is the nation's seventh-largest airline, serving nearly 200 communities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle, and the US Airways Express carriers operate over 3,300 flights per day. For more information on US Airways schedules and fares, visit usairways.com.

This is great news for PIT.

The market is there for PIT - LGW service and for additional INTERNATIONAL SERVICE.

The freight alone provides tremendous revenue.

Hopefully this will lead to PIT - LGW year round service.

AM49AAA said:
From Pittsburgh, US Airways operates international flights to four destinations, with daily nonstop service to Frankfurt and San Juan, Puerto Rico; weekend nonstop service to Cancun; and seasonal weekend nonstop service to Montego Bay.
San Juan is not an international desitnation. USAirways should know that.

At first it sounds good. But, I believe someone once said something like " Beware the Prophet Bearing False Gifts".

IMHO, this may just be a "carrot" offered for the PIT negotiations. Comments Chip?

Good luck to all at U.

Between the freight and corporate flying for folks like Glaxo, Crown Castle, Eaton and the like I'm shocked that they yanked this flight in the first place (other than to play hardball, which given Little Dave's penchant for temper tantrums, would not suprise me).

ual06 said:
At first it sounds good. But, I believe someone once said something like " Beware the Prophet Bearing False Gifts".

IMHO, this may just be a "carrot" offered for the PIT negotiations. Comments Chip?

Good luck to all at U.
Hey UAL06

Run out of good stuff over on the UAL board?

Just as a reminder everyone is free to post on any board they like. If we start the tit for tat thing again, we will take corrective action if needed. Not trying to be hard nosed about it, but give it a rest already ok?

Not only is Puerto Rico NOT international, but they do NOT have daily service to San Juan, weekend only. More LIES!

It is an international flight, because an international flight plan must be recorded. You leave US airspace, but then re-enter. If you are a US citizen, you don't have to get in the conga line with your passport. If you're not, I think you do.
I know it sounds screwy. West Coast to HNL is also an international flight. And to Pango Pango as well.

ClueByFour,

You and everyone else was just as surprised about the the yank of
service.

The market was definitely and is definitely there.

Our customers want consistency.

If they know the service is there, we would fill the seats
year round.

PIT offers great gateway facilities to Europe.

Market PIT and the flights to Europe.

Similar to Delta at CVG, with their flights to Europe.

Before people get carried away about what a great market PIT-LGW is notice the numbers for September - 8662 pax total in the market. Assuming a 767, that's about a 70% load factor, down from 88% in August.

With that trend, October and the winter = serious losses.

Atlantic said:
It is an international flight, because an international flight plan must be recorded. You leave US airspace, but then re-enter. If you are a US citizen, you don't have to get in the conga line with your passport. If you're not, I think you do.
I know it sounds screwy. West Coast to HNL is also an international flight. And to Pango Pango as well.
Just out of curiousity, do domestic or international crews do the SJU flights?

Latest posts