Pit Potentially Possible?

ngneer

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
This article includes an interview with a SWA spokesman who says that, in addition to looking at expansion at STL, they're also looking at PIT. It's the first time I've seen any indication from SWA that PIT is a possibility.

We had a few people from DAL doing the station tour here at BWI a few months ago. One was a long range planner/schedule planner or whatever their title is. A few of us are native Pittsburghers and would love to see Southwest fly to PIT. We commented on USAirways reducing their jet service to PIT at that time. We were told that we (Southwest) would probably increase service out of CLE to accomidate any drop in PIT service. I hope maybe something has changed since then to make PIT more attractive to the company.

I do find it particularly odd that SWA would even mention PIT in a statement, especially after the whole RIC deal. SWA has never really commented on specific cities that it may serve and has only said that it was looking at all viable options. To come forth and say that PIT is on the radar would lead me to believe that PIT is not really going to happen. I feel this is a poker bluff to help USAirways maybe retreat a little bit more out of PIT which would in turn help CLE for SWA. Just my 2 cents.........

Coincidentally(?) US Airways announced today it will maintain it's current PIT schedule well into next year while negotiations with state & local officialls continue.