Pit Transatlantic Flights Going To Bos?

Heard a rumor that all of the transatlantic flights from PIT(FRA/LGW) will be going to BOS starting 9/1. Can anyone verify that? It sounds like a great decision, considering that BOS for sure has a better O/D market to serve FRA and LGW than PIT does.
I always thought we should have never pulled out of the BOS-FRA market back in 1997. Those flights were always full of both passengers and cargo. Being in the Star Alliance now and being able to feed LH in FRA and LH feeding US in BOS really makes sence. The new point to point flying out of BOS come this fall will open up new destinations for connecting passengers in BOS arriving from LGW and FRA.

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
Heard a rumor that all of the transatlantic flights from PIT(FRA/LGW) will be going to BOS starting 9/1. Can anyone verify that? It sounds like a great decision, considering that BOS for sure has a better O/D market to serve FRA and LGW than PIT does.
I always thought we should have never pulled out of the BOS-FRA market back in 1997. Those flights were always full of both passengers and cargo. Being in the Star Alliance now and being able to feed LH in FRA and LH feeding US in BOS really makes sence. The new point to point flying out of BOS come this fall will open up new destinations for connecting passengers in BOS arriving from LGW and FRA.
US feeding LH in BOS does make sense, but LH already has two daily A340's on BOS-FRA. Why should US Airways use their scarce resources (widebody equipment) to compete with their Star partner?

BOS-LGW, on the other hand, might make sense, since UA does not fly BOS-LHR/LGW. But AA, VS, and BA already fly BOS-LHR... And it would probably require a Bermuda II route authority. Since BOS is already served, I am not sure of the PIT frequency can be moved to BOS or not... Not sure how that works. But probably a good idea for US.

If this is true it's going to piss off the corporate travel departments at Bayer, PPG, Heinz, Glaxco, to name a few. Maybe they could do flights 4 times a week off season rather than cutting it.

I heard the same rumor about 2 weeks ago. The only differnce is that the flights (FRA/LGW) will be moved to PHL. The international gates are underutilized at this time. Passengers would connect from PIT thru PHL.

Wow. Before I noticed this thread I just posted in the "new plan" discussion that Delta today asked DOT for a renewal of their dormant BOS-LGW route authority and it might be a good idea for UAIR to go after it.

My reasons were pretty much what has been mentioned in this thread, including the PIT tag.

I'll say again here that I don't think a Gatwick route will succeed against the incumbents' Heathrow operations as a me-too flight. Delta couldn't do it. UAIR would have to make it a stand out low-cost, low-fare route.

I said this a couple of weeks ago, but a Captain who is #2 in Pit told me that after Sept. there are no more Frank. flights out of pit and he would have to transfer.

The October flight schedule hasnt been finalized yet. They still might be selling PIT-FRA and then will schedule change everyone booked onto whatever flights are available either conx or nonstop/directs if still around.

I think this all depends on just what US is going to figure as a "focus city" in regards to PIT. It does seem pretty wasteful to have transatlantic flights to PIT while the European gateway is down the road in PHL. The corporate contracts make sense, but in all honesty, most of those customers would put up with the quick hop to PHL- they'll have to connect anyway.

They have barely enough widebodies to cover the international service they have, and transatlantic is a strength for US. If its more profitable to have those A330s doing PHL-MXP or ATH or what have you then they should be doing that instead of providing redundant service to a former hub.

As for BOS, this would be the best option if they were looking outside of PHL. The potential is there, the traffic is there, but the competition is also. US doesnt have direct competition on too many of its Atlantic routes, and none at all from other US carriers. If they were to have flights from Boston they would have to be serious about gearing it up as a real focus city. There are no perimeter rules there and US has plenty of gates and space. Its time for them to stop wasting space with ERJs to places like RIC and start stuff like west coast and carribbean.

When they built the new US Airways Shuttle terminal at Logan (which is beautiful) a couple years ago, I remember hearing that there are customs facilities underneath. Anyone know if thats true?

I actually kind of hope this rumour is true.

Light Years,

Here is the company's definition of a "focus" city, as told to ALPA:

----
The difference between a "hub" and a "focus city" is how it is scheduled. If it is scheduled primarily to serve the local market, we call it a focus city. If it is scheduled to primarily to connect passengers, we call it a hub.

We will have only one true hub: Charlotte. Philadelphia will be scheduled as a focus city for domestic traffic but as a hub for International service to Europe and the Caribbean. Boston, New York, and Washington, D.C. are focus cities with between 100 and 200 flights and schedules designed for the local market rather than connecting customers. Pittsburgh will be scheduled and operated like Boston, LaGuardia, and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport.
----

Jim

Light Years said:
The corporate contracts make sense, but in all honesty, most of those customers would put up with the quick hop to PHL- they'll have to connect anyway.
The problem is that once you lose the direct flight, there is zero incentive to keep the business with US. You could easily connect in EWR, IAD, ORD, etc.

And when US pulls the hub and folks have to connect anyway (domestically).... Well, you get the picture.

Thanks BB.

Heres what I'm wondering though- it seems the reason for a focus city is to serve the busy local market, which PIT doesnt have. It makes me think that PIT can really only serve as a spoke if its not to be used as a hub. I'm unclear as to what PIT will end up looking like- I just dont see much service being supported without connecting traffic.

Its PIT or get off the pot, sort of. Forgive my lame joke.

Light,

And from the description of how PHL will be scheduled, it looks like you can forget convenient domestic connections there too. Sounds like CLT will be the only true hub for domestic.

As an aside, the same presentation said that if the $800 million in concessions are forthcoming, 2006-2007 CASM will be down only 2.1 cents. The $800 million alone is worth about 1.35-1.65 cents depending on if you use 1Q04 system or mainline ASM's.

Jim