PIT

Feb 14, 2008
Well US is quitting the PIT-EWR route. I just don't understand how they can quit all of these high yield markets. They decided to quit IND-PIT and there was no competition on that route.
Does anyone know if PIT loses money because every employee is topped out? They probably have ramp agents and ticket agents all making around $20 an hour and getting about 4 weeks of paid vacation which would really hurt the bottom line. If employees make that much money then the supervisors have to make a lot more money than that.
Why can't US make money in PIT????

Because there is very little originating traffic in PIT, it's always been that way.

That is what US Airways thinks. :rolleyes: Pulling out of markets where you have NO competition and the fares are NOT low? Ummmm okie dokie. :lol: Oh an lets not forget full. At the very least you lower the frequency. Hey it's not like anyone in the burgh cares. They will simply get better service on CO.

That is what US Airways thinks. :rolleyes: Pulling out of markets where you have NO competition and the fares are NOT low? Ummmm okie dokie. :lol: Oh an lets not forget full. At the very least you lower the frequency. Hey it's not like anyone in the burgh cares. They will simply get better service on CO.

I'm still waiting for the predicted "HUGE" ramp up of hundreds of flights from Southwest, as predicted on here time and time again when US pulled a ton of flying down. If this flying is so lucrative, where is the onslaught from Southwest that was predicted in 2005? They are still receiving new aircraft this year, no?

For that matter, why hasn't CO, to use a previous example, ramped up P2P flying that is/was full, with the sky high fares USAir enjoys/ enjoyed?

This is not the final blow; the final blow would be CLT and PHL only, on regional jets. :shock: :lol:

Are these flights really full? Just because there's no competition between city pairs doesn't mean the route will be profitable. Just as Harding Lawrence out that plan worked for Braniff back in the 1970's. He grabbed every dormant route authority he could and then started flying them because he had no competition. Then he found out WHY he had no competition after he sunk the airline.

Landing fees are still high there and, IIRC, they are planning to offset some of the lost revenue by raising fees for the remaining airlines' flights (or atleast that was one of the options considered). That certainly won't help spur growth by LCCs, especially in times like these.

The RP PIT-IND flight served as a way to reposition equipment, nothing more.

Seriously though, for anyone who believed WN would have 65+ flights in PIT anytime soon, I have a nice bridge for sale in Manhattan...

Even B6, who flies to the high O&D markets of BOS and NYC has trouble there, and PIT was long rumored to be on the chopping block for them. As of this summer, BOS will finally be back to 2 daily (what it started at) and JFK will still have just 2 (started at either 3 or 4).

In the wake of US announcing it was abandoning Florida flights, FL stepped in and added, what, 1 more flight than it flew last year?

I don't mean to rip on PIT as I like the city, the airport, and the agents there (Congrats to the Steelers, BTW!) , but my point is that airlines (NOT just US) evidently do not see a need to expand there.

But hey, you were able to convince DL to fly a heavily subsidized flight to CDG. I guess we'll see how that does...

Read a SB story that was comparing cities and it mention something like PIT losing half it's populations since the 60's as a reason Steeler fans are all over the country.

Hi guys,
I think this may have something to do with Continental joining the Star Alliance October 24. Why should US feed their EWR hub? Same thing as UAL and ORD and IAD -- US dumped those flights over a year ago. Personally, when I fly International I go through IAD -- it's by far the easiest international connection hub.

Later,
Eye

Look I don't think anyone is expecting an airline to come into Pittsburgh and set up shop on a grand scale. With that being said US can't seem to make money anywhere even if they sold the damn seat belts. If an airline can't put the correct aircraft type on a route and charge a price to make a profit when they are the ONLY one flying there is obviously something wrong. I understand all carriers are operating in crisis mode but US operates in crisis mode during good times. They have no identity, no product, NOOOO relevance in many cities anymore on the east coast (PIT included). Didn't ya hear? Everyone in Pittsburgh seems to be getting where they need to go. How are they making money on PIT-PHL? The fares on average are QUITE low. Hmmm look out. :lol:

If an airline can't put the correct aircraft type on a route and charge a price to make a profit when they are the ONLY one flying there is obviously something wrong.

Just because an airline is the only airline flying the route nonstop, doesn't mean they can price the route as they see fit. Other airlines offer many, many connections between the same city pairs, and the nonstop airline must remain competitive with those fares.

Latest posts