PITbull may get her wish...

jetBlue is over a year away of gettting their rjs, Jetblue will not bring the employment levels anywhere near how many US employees are stationed in the PIT area.

JetBlue Considers Pittsburgh For Base

PITTSBURGH -- US Airways CEO David Siegel is worried a discount carrier may move into Pittsburgh International Airport.

Siegel is reportedly concerned JetBlue Airways wants the airport as a base for some of the 200 smaller regional jets it has ordered.

A JetBlue spokesperson confirms the airline is looking at the Pittsburgh market.

Siegel said he intends to develop a plan to compete with JetBlue''s regional service.

Meanwhile, local leaders hope a negotiating meeting this week will move them closer to keeping US Airways in Pittsburgh.

Allegheny County Executive Jim Roddey has picked five people who will represent the county in the negotiating sessions.

The first session is set for the end of this week.

Pittsburgh has a high operating airport costs, which would provide JetBlue lower margins, would be a divergence from its business strategy, and present the New York-based carrier with the same issues as US Airways, in regard to high fixed airport operating costs.
JetBlue is considering the market and its near-term expansion would likely be point-to-point flying, which has been clearly identified by Ed Rendell.
Considering Dave Siegel provides third party comments to interested parties in the press, could Siegel's comments to Pittsburgh TV Station WPXI, listed above, be a "shot across the bow" to Pennsylvania negotiators, publicly identified yesterday, who begin negotiations with US Airways this week? Me thinks so…

I expect there will be much more public news as US Airways manipulates interested parties in the press to get the best possible deal for the airline, which is good for employees and could be good for the State.
In my opinion, I will be surprised if a long-term agreement between US Airways and the State of PA is not reached that commits US Airways to Pennsylvania long-term. Then I expect US Airways to base MDA in Pittsburgh and convert the market to a Delta - Cincinnati type operation and expand Philadelphia's international reach.

Best regards,

Chip

I think it probably went something more like this:

"Dave, here is $264 million worth of stuff. We are willing to give the PIT portion of that stuff (which will lower the cost at PIT substantially) to JetBlue if you won''t play ball." --Ed Rendell

And maybe, just maybe, Boy Wonder gets it. Can''t continue to drag the FFs in PIT over the coals price-wise if you give up the hub and JetBlue moves in....

I would really enjoy seeing Rendell & Co to tell Dave and Co to go pound! Tell them to exit Pit and get out of Phl while they are at it. Hopefully then all the other cities Dave is trying to blackmail will do the same. Its about time someone calls his bluff!!!!

----------------
On 6/18/2003 10:11:44 AM a320av8r wrote:

JetBlue Considers Pittsburgh For Base

PITTSBURGH -- US Airways CEO David Siegel is worried a discount carrier may move into Pittsburgh International Airport.

Siegel is reportedly concerned JetBlue Airways wants the airport as a base for some of the 200 smaller regional jets it has ordered.

A JetBlue spokesperson confirms the airline is looking at the Pittsburgh market.

Siegel said he intends to develop a plan to compete with JetBlue''s regional service.

Meanwhile, local leaders hope a negotiating meeting this week will move them closer to keeping US Airways in Pittsburgh.

Allegheny County Executive Jim Roddey has picked five people who will represent the county in the negotiating sessions.

The first session is set for the end of this week.

----------------​
Compete...what does that mean???? I didn''t think that word was in our companies vocabulary, unless it means pack up and leave town in a hurry.

Hi all,

I believe U has created some negative press for PIT airport and that is why many believe PIT airport is a "white elephant". This thinking is great for U's negotiations. If the PA leaders can't cut an acceptable deal with U, I believe other airlines will most certainly come in AND IN A BIG WAY. Some may refuse to conceptualize this, but PHL AND PIT make up most of U's franchise. Me thinks that the other carriers are keeping quite to see how low PA will go for the leases for U, and then will jump in to take over at that price or slightly better. If other carriers can hurt U's franchise in any way, I beieve, they most certainly will. I believe PA would take that deal in a "heart beat", only thing is, the job losses. The job component to these negotiations keeps USAirways in the running to get a good deal. Outside of that taking that piece out, and guess what, PA would go for the best deal they could get from another carrier, and not have to build anything in PHL or PIT.

Striking a deal to have MDA in PIT is no deal at all to labor. As was repeatedly stated to Roddey, Senator Specter, and Rendall...WE WANT a measurable commitment from these negotiations on saving jobs ON MAINLINE IN PIT. Period. If it's my tax dollars going to be used to keep U here, it better SAVE the jobs on mainline that are PRESENTLY HERE! Labor leaders will meet with Roddey in a little over a week, AND IT WILL BE STATED AGAIN...THIS TIME TO REMIND HIM OF THE LABOR VOTES IN PIT THAT RODDEY DEPENDS ON in November!

Hellooooooooo!
6.gif

Just so that it''s clear--

Trashing Roddey is probably not in labor''s best iterest. Onorato could not cut a deal for a ham sandwhich--electing more democrats is not going to help Allegheny County out of the current mess. How do you think they ended up in the current mess?

The reality of the situation is that the county and state should be striking their best deal _regardless_ of the job impact. Government coddling failing business and their associated labor unions is what killed steel 20 years ago, and it will eventually kill the airline business (and US in PIT specifically) should it continue.

There are a few thousand jobs at stake. There are several million taxpayers in the county and state. The responsibility is for the several million, not for the several thousand.

----------------
On 6/19/2003 1:58:20 PM PITbull wrote:

Hi all,

I believe U has created some negative press for PIT airport and that is why many believe PIT airport is a "white elephant". This thinking is great for U's negotiations. If the PA leaders can't cut an acceptable deal with U, I believe other airlines will most certainly come in AND IN A BIG WAY. Some may refuse to conceptualize this, but PHL AND PIT make up most of U's franchise. Me thinks that the other carriers are keeping quite to see how low PA will go for the leases for U, and then will jump in to take over at that price or slightly better. If other carriers can hurt U's franchise in any way, I beieve, they most certainly will. I believe PA would take that deal in a "heart beat", only thing is, the job losses. The job compoenent to these negotiations keeps USAirways in the running to get a good deal. Take that piece out, and guess what, PA would go for the best deal they could get from another carrier.

Striking a deal to have MDA in PIT is no deal at all to labor. As was repeatedly stated to Roddey, Senator Specter, and Rendall...WE WANT a measurable commitment from these negotiations on saving jobs ON MAINLINE IN PIT. Period. If it's my tax dollars going to be used to keep U here, it better SAVE the jobs on mainline that are PRESENTLY HERE! Labor leaders will meet with Roddey in a little over a week, AND IT WILL BE STATED AGAIN...THIS TIME TO REMIND HIM OF THE LABOR VOTES IN PIT THAT RODDEY DEPENDS ON in November!

Hellooooooooo!
6.gif

----------------​

And Pitbull,
I can here Siegle now...."we are saving jobs in PA. All those mainline employees will be offered jobs with MAA" What he fails to tell you is you will need food stamps to survive or a second job, but just shut up and be thankful. That is the attitude management has and many of our self-righteous frequent fliers who don't PAY for a ticket but #### about the cost. EDITED BY MODERATOR. This group will stop at nothing to bring us down to nothing but the largest regional carrier in the world.

By the way, Mr. Siegle's croonies, called res and hung up after 12 minutes of waiting. Do you really think that hold time is acceptable???? Just keep laying them off, Dave.
14.gif
7.gif

Clue,

Sorry, Job saved and job creation put MONEY BACK into the coffers. The problem with Bush's Administration and Republicans is they don't know how to create jobs. And obviously, by giving corporations tax breaks is not the incentive. They just make less folks do the job that should take more, and "line their own pockets".

My concern and focus as a tax payor of Allegheny County for my entire adult working life (born, bread here) is to make sure that my tax dollars are used wisely. And by shelling out major cash from a state to keep ONE employer here, and not even be able to save "livable wage jobs", is not using MY money wisely. You can bring in a K-mart or McDonald's anytime anywhere, however it doesn't pay the bills, and it is not good for the local economy.

Have no problem with Roddey, whether he is Republican, Democrate or both. I am for the Leader that focuses on "livable wage jobs" and has the ability to balance the equation, whoever that may be.

----------------
On 6/18/2003 10:25:57 AM Chip Munn wrote:

Pittsburgh has a high operating airport costs, which would provide JetBlue lower margins, would be a divergence from its business strategy, and present the New York-based carrier with the same issues as US Airways, in regard to high fixed airport operating costs.
JetBlue is considering the market and its near-term expansion would likely be point-to-point flying, which has been clearly identified by Ed Rendell.
Considering Dave Siegel provides third party comments to interested parties in the press, could Siegel''s comments to Pittsburgh TV Station WPXI, listed above, be a "shot across the bow" to Pennsylvania negotiators, publicly identified yesterday, who begin negotiations with US Airways this week? Me thinks so…

I expect there will be much more public news as US Airways manipulates interested parties in the press to get the best possible deal for the airline, which is good for employees and could be good for the State.
In my opinion, I will be surprised if a long-term agreement between US Airways and the State of PA is not reached that commits US Airways to Pennsylvania long-term. Then I expect US Airways to base MDA in Pittsburgh and convert the market to a Delta - Cincinnati type operation and expand Philadelphia''s international reach.

Best regards,

Chip

----------------​

We heard the "high operating cost" line when WN went in the northeast. They just kicked US Airways to a bloody pulp when they entered the market, regardless of the snow, high living costs and taxation up there. Heck, WN even gives employees working at BDL, PVD, BWI & MHT a $1 an hour bonus, because its more expensive to live there....when was the last time you ever saw US Airways ever do something like that?

jc

Pittsburgh airport may have high operating costs presently, but if they can negotiate down for U, they can negotiate down for any airline. So, that premise of it not being condusive to JetBlues''s cost strategy is narrow thinking. Anything can happen, and everything can change.

Latest posts