Planned Pilot sick-out on Friday

Hot Nuts

May 12, 2007
I understand that everyone is unhappy with the way the company is running, I am the first person to say things are screwed up, but rumors are flying around that the pilot group is planning to have a “sick outâ€￾ this Friday the 21st.

Having a sick out will only drive away business, upset the customers who have stuck with us through all the crap in the past and give OUR Company more bad press, which is the last thing we need.

If this happens, you are only giving the other airlines like Southwest the business and strengthening the argument for the union busting factions. This sick out will only end up hurting the other workgroups and our customers not the management of US Airways or ALPA.

Its illegal and anyone who participates should be fired.

Use the legal process to solve the issues. If you are unhappy with the job your Union representatives are doing, then move to recall them. However, illegal job actions accomplish nothing. :down:

It cost American Airlines an estimated $200 Million and canceled 6,600 flights. http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/archive/winter1999art3.pdf

I understand that everyone is unhappy with the way the company is running, I am the first person to say things are screwed up, but rumors are flying around that the pilot group is planning to have a “sick outâ€￾ this Friday the 21st.

Having a sick out will only drive away business, upset the customers who have stuck with us through all the crap in the past and give OUR Company more bad press, which is the last thing we need.

If this happens, you are only giving the other airlines like Southwest the business and strengthening the argument for the union busting factions. This sick out will only end up hurting the other workgroups and our customers not the management of US Airways or ALPA.

Its illegal and anyone who participates should be fired.

Use the legal process to solve the issues. If you are unhappy with the job your Union representatives are doing, then move to recall them. However, illegal job actions accomplish nothing. :down:

It cost American Airlines an estimated $200 Million and canceled 6,600 flights. http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/archive/winter1999art3.pdf

Planned sick outs are illegal. This must be a rumor.

KIDDING, of course. I don't even work at US anymore and a coworker who is scheduled for business travel this Friday asked me if the sick out thing was true. He returned to DC today and apparently the A F/A told him to avoid flying Friday.

Guess who will bear the burden.

hstress17.jpg

It won't be Doug. Sorry Suzie, your mandatoried until further notice.

While I support the employees and agree that things are not right between management and labor, an action such as this will only hasten the demise of the company, or its breakup.

If that is the ultimate goal, on you go......

I won't even venture a guess as to whether it is legal or not, but again, you will hurt the customers and fellow employees much worse than you will management.

My BEST to you all....

The whole sickout thing is being promoted by the West and ALPA national in an attempt to get the East to throw mud on themselves by "getting sick". (and they are sending around false flyers saying the "new union guys" are promoting it.) Nice try. Now ALPA is sending out emails that they don't even sign (sorta like little junior Nic Awards).

Getting sick is stupid. ALPA is the biggest problem right now and the best way to toss their a$$ is to go to work to pass out more cards and talk about the illegal job action that ALPA wanted you to do.

Go to work and talk about Prater's Fact sheet. He wouldn't know an honest fact unless it pays his dues gravy train. :rolleyes:

One day is not going to do anything we neeed to do it alot more. It worked for NWA in just a couple of months. Its our turn now.

LUv,

If not mistaken, NWA did it within the rules, and within legalities am I correct? If so I would have no problem with it, but if you are all going to call in sick just to make a point, and inconvenience thousands of customers while adding to the already stressful lives of your fellow employees, I just don't see it. It seems to me that is a big risk, and the company would be within their rights to fire those who do it.

Again if you want to stick to max hours, like NW did, so be it, but a sick out to me kind of comes close to if not crossing a line.

Good for them.

Let management know that they cannot win when record profits are being reported. Let them know that they can share the profits or languish ala Eastern Airlines!

Regardless of a Planned Sick out or not ALPA has shot themseles in the head numerous times. You look at Jack Stepphan saying that he will make a change what has he been doing for the past 10 years. Serving as a Lady in Waiting for Pollock and Beebe . The carton of apples is ruined and now Jack wants to step up and say so. What a weak Di...I can only hope that the rumor that this god forsaken airline will be broken apart is a reality. The job performance of this Airline along with the defunct Union Leaders ALPA ,AFA CLT,DCA and PHL you all have to go your thieves and you think you wrote the book. How sad are we that most of the AFA leaders owe there jobs to the Company....tsk tsk

This is a sickout by the East group who are protesting pay parity or lack thereof. Yes, we have heard the rumors throughout phoenix and tempe.

"pay parity or lack thereof" is a miniscule, almost an atomic part of the "why".

As is usual, Tempe has pre-decided what the problem is and will act accordingly, barely missing its genitalia in the process of blowing off its foot, yet again. Given the events of this year, why would I think something different would happen?

if it does go on... how does that help the poor frontline UNIONIZED employees.. of course it doesnt... the frontline will be truthful to the customer and just say what the flifo says for every delay except for maintenance... THIS FLIGHT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO OPERATIONAL REASONS... the customer will say... what does that mean ? and that hard working customer service agent will say... I dont know exactly its operational... and those poor sick folks will be covered.... for now...

i remember back in 1979... a regional airline pilot group did a sick out for two days.. back then of course mangement could jump in and fly since they held the license to fly... he worked two days in a row.. he was and ex airforce decorated airman in world war ii and VP of flight operations for this airline.. he was called at home and asked if you could fly that day a few roundtrips.. he said sure .. he did .. he was pretty tired and ate little that day on his final approach on the final leg of his flight he supposily passed out and the aircraft and DH6 landing in Hyannis mass crashed on approach to runway 6.. he was the only fatality... the airline Air New England that great guy was George Parmenter . if you ever visit Cape Cod go to the Barnstable Airport in Hyannis there is a plaque in his honor. to say that long day was a culprit or to say he had a condition which eventually would have caught up to him.. who knows.. things have changed drastically since then of course. the CAB is long gone and FAA regs are so stringent.. but whenever i hear of so called pilot sick outs or slow downs this comes to my mind... nothing is ever gained.. someone will ultimately... lose