Points to Ponder

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
Well, we''re back on the bankruptcy kick again. Suppose AMR files for bankruptcy, I guess the stock options that we haven''t received yet will soon be worthless.

We''ll be back on the bankruptcy kick every time an SEC filing is made for the next year, because some rocket scientist will discover the "smoking gun" boilerplate language that we''re obligated to include in the filings lest some dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers investor claim that we intentionally misled them into thinking that things were just peachy financially.

I for one regret having sold some of my AMR stock before the votes were completed. Assuming nobody does anything stupid, the worst just might finally be behind us. Then again, as the boilerplate warns, we''ve only been stable for less than a month. Give it another two months, and perhaps we can say for certain that we''re not teetering on the edge of insolvency.

You would think that once the company knew what they wanted in terms of concessions and once they got what they wanted, they would know the future results in repspect to earnings. Hell, they're only several weeks in the running. I think a couple of things may be going on here. First, someone might be playing the stock manipulation game. Today, the stock will take a dive so some of the "big boys" can get a deal. Then after the weekend and some clarification of AMR's position, the "big boys" get to make another profit. The other reason for AMR's "bankruptcy still on option" position could be to scare the vendors into getting on board and reduce their losses.
Or, lastly, this was the plan all along that the company planned on a CH. 11 filing. Stay tuned.............

----------------
On 5/15/2003 11:18:29 PM eolesen wrote:

We''ll be back on the bankruptcy kick every time an SEC filing is made for the next year, because some rocket scientist will discover the "smoking gun" boilerplate language that we''re obligated to include in the filings lest some dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers investor claim that we intentionally misled them into thinking that things were just peachy financially.

----------------​

You would also think that some of the dumb-as-a-bag-of-hammers reporters out there would learn not to jump on the boilerplate language every time just to fill column space.

TANSTAAFL

----------------
On 5/16/2003 8:53:30 AM eolesen wrote:

Well, if there isn''t any new news, some papers (like the NYT?) choose to make it up, while others repackage last month''s trash as today''s treasures.

Then again, the days of responsible journalism have been over for years.

----------------​
Maybe some journalists realized they didn''t get on the train at the right price - today was a good chance to get more in the low sixes.