PRESS RELEASE - LINE MAINTENANCE GOAL

Hopeful

Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
All I have to say is "WHAT'S IN IT FOR THE MECHANICS?"

Press Release Source: American Airlines, Inc.

American Airlines Line Maintenance Organization Sets $95 Million Annual 'Breakthrough Goal' By End of 2008
Wednesday September 6, 12:14 pm ET
Leadership Meeting Identifies Cost-Saving and New Business Opportunities

FORT WORTH, Texas, Sept. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- A team of management and Transport Workers Union (TWU) employees at 10 American Airlines Line Maintenance bases have set a "breakthrough goal" to obtain $95 million of annual value creation for the airline by the end of 2008.
ADVERTISEMENT

More than 65 TWU and management leaders from across American Airlines met recently to identify maintenance opportunities and challenges with regard to enhancing the company's competitiveness. Danny Martinez, Vice President -- Line Maintenance, and Don Videtich, Air Transport Division Project Coordinator for TWU, spearheaded the three-day meeting in an effort to develop the processes that will enable the line maintenance organization to reach the ambitious breakthrough goal of an annual improvement of $95 million in Line Maintenance performance, primarily by cost reductions and greater revenue generation.

This target comes on the heels of similar breakthrough goals at American's Maintenance and Engineering overhaul base facilities in Fort Worth, Tulsa and Kansas City.

"A breakthrough goal is critical to American Airlines and line maintenance workers in the 10 facilities involved in the program," said Martinez. "This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to positively impact the future of American Airlines. By challenging our thinking and reinventing the way we work, and by collectively committing to our vision and goals, we are cementing the bond of working together for our future."

According to Videtich, "We needed a strategy and this offsite provided just that -- a strategy to move forward. This is the first key step in changing our work environment. Communicating with our members is the key -- we need to provide them with the facts and they will take us where we need to go -- becoming best in class."

The goal will be reached through cost reductions, additional third-party work, improved dependability by reducing delays and reducing the amount of spare aircraft for maintenance needs. The group chartered several teams on topics that are critical to achieving the goal of $95 million by the end of 2008:

1. Leadership/Incentives/Culture
2. Communications
3. Third-party work
4. Information Technology
5. Dependability
6. Inventory, Supplies and Equipment
7. Workload/Processes
8. Metrics (performance tracking)

The teams will develop a work plan for engaging and empowering front-line employees, aligning the interests of the company and the employees and achieving the goals developed by the teams.

"American Airlines, with the commitment from management and the TWU, has taken an innovative and proactive approach to control our destiny," said Devon Erriah, a Manager in Line Maintenance at New York's JFK Airport. "By engaging and giving ownership of our destiny to the workforce, we can all move together in the right direction to realize our organization's vision while providing security and stability for our families through sustained employment."

Bob Reding, American's Senior Vice President -- Technical Operations, addressed the group and reiterated his commitment to transforming American's Line Maintenance organization into a best-in-class operation.

"This is a pivotal event and an investment in our future," said Reding. "By our Line Maintenance department aligning itself with the rest of our Maintenance and Engineering organization, we are much closer to our common goal of transforming ourselves into the best-in-class aviation maintenance provider."

About American Airlines

American Airlines is the world's largest airline. American, American Eagle and AmericanConnection® serve 250 cities in over 40 countries with more than 4,000 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 1,000 aircraft. American's award-winning Web site, AA.com, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld(sm) Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve more than 600 destinations in over 135 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation (NYSE: AMR - News). AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, AA.com and AAdvantage are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

Like my local president told us at the dog and pony show to promote this crap, "IT WILL GIVE US LEVERAGE COME NEGOTIATION TIME."
Same crAAp my Pres said, it would appear that the unlimited booze at the event got them all programmed to say the same thing.

According to Videtich, "We needed a strategy and this offsite provided just that -- a strategy to move forward. This is the first key step in changing our work environment. Communicating with our members is the key -- we need to provide them with the facts and they will take us where we need to go -- becoming best in class."

This coming from a guy who ran away from having to work midnight shift because there was too much work. That was the only reason he ran for office in the first place.

"Best in Class" has been described to me as Southwest Airlines. So Best in Class at AA starts with a $10 raise, sickpay, holidays, better benefits, etc. OverhAAul is currently making Best in Class wages according to the twu. So it would only be right to match SWA or UPS on the line.

Like my local president told us at the dog and pony show to promote this crap, "IT WILL GIVE US LEVERAGE COME NEGOTIATION TIME."
Yeah right. :blink: :blink: :blink: The twu had leverage in 1995, and we got SRP's and locked into a six year contract during the most profitable years AA had ever enjoyed!!!! What makes this genius of a twu local president think he has any leverage except to bend the membership over again? Must have been Burdchette; "I've been elected to every position I have ever held in the twu, except this one." :rolleyes:

I like to know what drugs he takes, I'd like to try some of that ####. I guess sittin' under a bridge with a pound of the stuff makes you find Jesus when you come back out of rehab. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Best in Class" has been described to me as Southwest Airlines. So Best in Class at AA starts with a $10 raise, sickpay, holidays, better benefits, etc. So it would only be right to match SWA or UPS on the line.

Seems like AA wants what SWA has but is unwilling to pay for it.

What's new?

Seems like AA wants what SWA has but is unwilling to pay for it.

What's new?
It's just like the soon TBA UPS deal our local told us about. AA is such a bargain that we get to do their overhaul and in exchange, they pay their line mechanics $12 more an hour and I've been told they have been offered the same 18% as their pilots in their current negotiations. This would put them close to $20 more an hour than AA line mechanics, but we are suppose to celebrate about doing their overhaul.

What's in it for the mechanic's. A new employer called "EAGLETECH"! Where you work for $15-$20 per hour with little or no benefits. No pension either, but you will still pay dues to the EVIL TWU!

AMFAMAN,

You can have all that, just give up your pension. It's funny how people so easily leave out huge portions of their compensation when it's convenient...by the way, "people" does include company negotiators as well. Somehow, every airline compensates their people the best and every worker thinks it's the least. Reagan-omics!

AMFAMAN,

You can have all that, just give up your pension.
A mechanic with the same seniority at SWA has over $500k in his 401k; how do I make this swap?

At UPS you get the 401k company match and the Teamsters pension. Once again I'll do that swap.

A mechanic with the same seniority at SWA has over $500k in his 401k; how do I make this swap?

At UPS you get the 401k company match and the Teamsters pension. Once again I'll do that swap.

I've gotta agree with you on this one; as I've posted numerous times, WN spends a lot more on its employee retirement accounts (as a percentage of revenue and as a percentage of total employee comp) than AA spends on its pension plan contributions. No doubt about it - WN mechanics make a lot more $$ than AA mechanics.

I'm not real confident that will always be the case - if their union performs the same miracle on them as it did at ScabAir - AA mechanics might once again be on top of the pay chart. Strike followed by permanent replacement may be a great symbolic victory and unifying event for the affected workers, but it ain't a financial victory.

I've gotta agree with you on this one; as I've posted numerous times, WN spends a lot more on its employee retirement accounts (as a percentage of revenue and as a percentage of total employee comp) than AA spends on its pension plan contributions. No doubt about it - WN mechanics make a lot more $$ than AA mechanics.
They also have nearly the same line mechanics as AA on a per plane basis. SWA has 2,000 line mechanics and 468 planes in their fleet, or roughly 4.3 mechanics per plane. AA has 3239 line mechanics for around 700 planes, or roughly 4.6 mechanics per plane. For the same contract as SWA, there is no doubt the percentage of line mechanics per plane could be the same or better than SWA. It would also keep alot of good mechanics who are quiting everyday from leaving.

AMFAMAN,

You can have all that, just give up your pension. It's funny how people so easily leave out huge portions of their compensation when it's convenient...by the way, "people" does include company negotiators as well. Somehow, every airline compensates their people the best and every worker thinks it's the least. Reagan-omics!

If you think tha AA will give us ANYTHING in the future, you are sadly mistaken!

Eventually, they will freeze our pensions and in return we will get NOTHING!

Correction, we will get the "lucky to have a job" speech!

They will offer us nothing because we have a spineless union who will have us work for minimum wage in order to remain the company union they have proven themselves to be!

How will it give leverage if they already got the productivity improvements they were looking for? They are bargaining away productivity improvements for nothing in return, its not as if the union is saying if we meet these goals we get anything, so there is no incentive for us.

Your President has had too much of the Koolaid. He obviously forgets that the extra $20k , weekends and Holidays off while illegally on the companys payroll is only there as long as the members vote for him. Another performance like that and he's back on the floor for sure.We know what his incentive is, and we know if he was the one who actually was expected to work harder for less money like he's asking us to do he would not be so agreeable. His partner, who was a heavy hitter, quit and went to ConEd since he left the floor so he wouldnt have it as easy as he used to.

I'm not real confident that will always be the case - if their union performs the same miracle on them as it did at ScabAir - AA mechanics might once again be on top of the pay chart. Strike followed by permanent replacement may be a great symbolic victory and unifying event for the affected workers, but it ain't a financial victory.

Surely you realize thats the whole situation was a lot more complicated than that.

You can have all that, just give up your pension. It's funny how people so easily leave out huge portions of their compensation when it's convenient...

I thinks he writes and forms his opinions when "high" also.
Last year AA put around $1200 in my pension. Thats why I have to put more than that in my 401K. I'll swap my 20 years with a SWA guy anyday.

It's just like the soon TBA UPS deal our local told us about. AA is such a bargain that we get to do their overhaul and in exchange, they pay their line mechanics $12 more an hour and I've been told they have been offered the same 18% as their pilots in their current negotiations. This would put them close to $20 more an hour than AA line mechanics, but we are suppose to celebrate about doing their overhaul.
What company needs Mexicans when they have the TWU!!

The days of back to back stock splits at LUV are long over, so while you're right about some of the more senior folks having huge 401K balances, you'd better pay attention to what the junior folks are seeing as far as growth. The stock has pretty much stagnated since 1999 at about $15/share.

Also, how does the SWA contract compare for overhaul and backshop mechanics?