Project "barbell' Or Project "dumbbell"

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
I remember reading about merger talks being coded, Project "Barbell" because it rightly illustrated the heavy western Awest route structure together with the heavy eastern US AIRWAYS route structure. I thought the metaphor 'fit', but then I got another image in my mind, perhaps similar to barbell but in a totally different light. That image was of a 'dumbbell' which may also 'fits' the metaphor if this whole thing ultimately flops into chapter 7.

At any rate, if this whole project gets the financing and ultimately falls on its face due to incompetence of applying what is known in 'good sense' business workshops, then whoever gets stuck with the bill will probably also get "project Dumbbell" stuck to him. For all those who serve US AIRWAYS, hopefully this won't be the case but at least to me it remains to be seen if project 'barbell' is finally appropriate.

One thing I am convinced of, somehow a dream [some call it opportunity] will be sold to someone who desperately wants the dream/opportunity to come true. I mean all the numbers make this a can't miss opportunity doesn't it? All Laptop graphs make this thing a "turnkey" can't miss right? USA320's postings even declare it!
Somehow my gut feeling isn't finally convinced. One thing is for sure because of the inherent risks, whoever flips the bill won't be using his/her own money but using somebody else's.
At any rate, what the hey, Pinochio became a real boy didn't he?

regards,

Tim Nelson said:
Pinochio became a real boy didn't he? 

regards,
[post="265872"][/post]​

Ask Michael Jackson. :p

post-3706-1114638611_thumb.jpg

I still have the CLT Observer newspaper in a box. The bold headline reads:

USAir and Piedmont to merge
Analysts predict strong airline.

I might feel better if the "analysts" are against US/HP.

Finish or Ignore said:
I still have the CLT Observer newspaper in a box. The bold headline reads:

USAir and Piedmont to merge
Analysts predict strong airline.
I might feel better if the "analysts" are against US/HP.
[post="265883"][/post]​

Yeah. It's right up there with "Dewey Beats Truman."

The one difference between past mergers and the current potential merger is CCY will be replaced. that alone should give some hope that if it actually happens it might succeed

And we all remember how well the PSA merger was handled.....the boneheads in CCY wil NEVER get it right....... :down: If a merger between US and HP happens, they will once again prove to themselves they have no clue how to operate a West Coast Operation. HP will become a distant memory with nothing left of it's routes or coverage. If HP exec's are smart, they will not even entertain merger thoughts with US.

"IF" a deal does occur with AWA; US management (and I mean all of it) has to go. I don't think there's anyone who will disagree with that.

I think the HP/US merger might actually work. But only if the dimwits at CCY are ALL (and I mean every last one) given the boot. If any of those idiots are slated to survive the merger, I'd rather see the whole deal cancelled. I would not want to impose our malfeasant, misfeasant, non-feasant management on America West employees. I'd rather see USairways (and my own job) sink into oblivion than give CCY a chance to wreck yet anotherr airline.

Actually, on the station side, everybody from CSM and up needs to go.

They all had to swear fealty and kiss Unkle Al's ring.

fr8tmastr said:
The one difference between past mergers and the current potential merger is CCY will be replaced. that alone should give some hope that if it actually happens it might succeed
[post="265898"][/post]​
Only if Bronner and gang are gone too!

Getting rid of US managers won't be an issue with an HP merger - none of them would want to stay around to witness such an abortion with wings. As it is, Lakefield's just here to help out an old friend, not because he wanted the job for his resume.

As with any "trow da bums out" sentiment, you have to ask, "Who will replace them?" A new hire? HP management doesn't have a long track record and the gene pool within the industry doesn't really have any standouts. Will the U managers in place use this argument to keep themselves in place(the devil you know...)?

Philly has eaten another airline, Midway, before. Expansion, hiring and buying a bunch of junk DC-9's off EAL weakened MDW, and the Gulf War pushed them off the cliff. If HP wants to pull this off successfully, they need to come up with a way of swallowing the elephant over a couple of bites. Within the framework of merger policies, investor agendas and an unstable industry, I can't see them doing it. For all their good intentions will be a memory at auction.

Absent anything that protects employees, the merger has a shot. Employees win-airline loses. Airline wins-employees lose. This has never bred success anywhere else it's been tried. But, hey, Ya Gotta Believe! (ex Braniff slogan)

I dissagree with that. I dont believe it has to be employees lose to save the airline. Its the employees that are keeping this afloat. The U employees are close to if not the lowest paid in the country, and have made Huge sacrifices to try and save this pig. Unfortunetely for management you cant have an airline without people to run it. The successful companies HP included treat their employees much better that what we have here. That should tell everyone something. I think the employees here would be so greatfull to be rid of ccy they would be singing and dancing in the terminals! We would make the antics of SW look like a funeral in comparison. We would go from constant doom and gloom to an era of hope for success. This would make the new entity a very viable airline with VERY greatfull employees. Management in Arizona would love to have that kind of moral. IF they run this place and kick ccy to the curb, I think they will get it.