Proposed Apfa Agenda

crew4aa

Apr 23, 2003
In my opinion I fimrly believe that the APFA should do the following:

1. Start forming review committees to work on the 2006 Contract negotiation's in order to position ourselves for a better contract. I also believe that these committee's should have former TWA Flight Attendants, Reno Air, and AIr Cal Flight Attendants in order to give us the best possible options.

2. Send the Constituion Review Committe back to work and find a way that will eliminate the APFA Monarchy and create a union that will flourish rather than fight within itself. Maybe we should have a system similar to the Electoral College thus giving each base a fair voice.

3. Find ways to improve the sick policy at AA.

4. Get the Sattelite Bases system up and running.

5. Find ways to protect the APFA members and not give jobs to our Foreign Nationals.

I welcome feedback on this issue.

I forgot one:

6. Get American Eagle under the APFA contract. Since so much of our flying is going to Eagle we need a way to get protect all of our jobs.

Good ideas, I think number one should say it be more open to include. Tommie is someone who will work to include all people. Senior, and junior, those who started there careers at AA and those brought in my merger or BK. We have many people from Pan Am Eastern as well.

Number two will be difficult. Since the people who created this mess are still in positions to protect it. I mean the whole Exec committee. The electoral collage is a mess for this country. That would add another layer of garbage to our bloated system. One vote, one say. One no better no stronger, no weaker than another. Voting should be updated to meet with current levels of technology.

number four. It is up and running. I like the what they have done so far. SAN being part of LAX. Similar to PBI being part of Miami (which it is). I don't like the idea of some place like ATL being made in to a satellite. Commuters are commuters by choice. I don't want to see the good trips lines and such being taken from the people who moved to or live in a base city, only to see them go to the commuter base satellite.

Number five is my Number one pet peeve. I am sure that only a small percentage of f/a's know how this effects them. More so Miami, Boston and New York. Less for Dallas Chicago and LA. But still takes some flying that would be there. Still takes from seniority that should be there. Keeps our people on the street. Can you see why jw never would have touched this agreement.

Number six. Eagle voted to be represented by AFA. That's OK. APFA is a union for the AA, FA's. Bring in the eagle people and there is a number of issues you have to contend with as well. Like reps for them and there bases, contract and scheduling people for them. If the time came and they could pull out the vote and bring all the issues they wanted and needed to the fore front and table ours. If that became an agenda. What if an eagle f/a became president and we both were in negotiations at the same time? An they got together with the company to trade out something for them over us. Just as bad if n AAer was president and did the same thing at the expense of a eagle member One union, One group to negotiate for. The 100% effort is to our own cause and agenda.

FA Mikey said:
I don't like the idea of some place like ATL being made in to a satellite. Commuters are commuters by choice. I don't want to see the good trips lines and such being taken from the people who moved to or live in a base city, only to see them go to the commuter base satellite.

We heard the same complaint at TWA, where we had over a dozen satellites. I found that the satellites generally went senior. I'd be willing to bet that if ATL were a satellite (it was for us) that it would draw enough senior people away from the "mother" base to more than make up for any loss of good trips.

Satellite flying will change the nature of a base's trips, no doubt about it. But all in all I think it's a good thing and all will benefit from it.

MK

FA Mikey said:
Number two will be difficult. Since the people who created this mess are still in positions to protect it. I mean the whole Exec committee. The electoral collage is a mess for this country. That would add another layer of garbage to our bloated system. One vote, one say. One no better no stronger, no weaker than another. Voting should be updated to meet with current levels of technology.
This one is difficult, but I think what Wayne was going for is the fact that the BOD is more like the U.S. Senate that the U.S. House of Representatives. It is not one-f/a, one-vote. RDU-I has the same voting power on the BOD as DFW-D. However, given the disparity in the size of the various bases, I'm not sure there is any other way to do it.

FA Mikey said:
number four. It is up and running. I like the what they have done so far. SAN being part of LAX. {snip} I don't want to see the good trips lines and such being taken from the people who moved to or live in a base city, only to see them go to the commuter base satellite.
To paraphrase Pres. Clinton, "Define good trip lines." It's my understanding that all the satellite flying is strictly turns. If that and having all your per diem be taxable floats your boat, so be it. Personally, I'd rather open a vein than do nothing but turns.

FA Mikey said:
Number five {FN flying} is my Number one pet peeve.
Mike, I've never been able to get anyone to answer this question for me...
How much of the FN flying is a way for AA to do the routes on the cheap, and how much of it is due to requirements of certain countries in order to even have the route. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Colombia or Ecuador or whichever country required that AA use FNs in order to even be allowed to fly into those countries. I want to say that it had something to do with AA's purchase of S.A routes from another airline (Eastern, maybe?).

FA Mikey said:
Number six. Eagle voted to be represented by AFA.
According to a friend of mine who flew for AE for a long time, APFA used to represent AE f/as. However, an APFA rep with the initials THB negotiated such a crappy contract for the AE f/as that it triggered a representation election which AFA won. I asked my friend about the idea of a f/a flow-through agreement between AA and AE similar to the pilots. Her response was "Why should the AE f/as allow themselves to be made into furlough fodder by APFA the way they did the TWA flight attendants?" Have to admit, I didn't have an answer for that one.

crew4aa said:
I forgot one:

6. Get American Eagle under the APFA contract. Since so much of our flying is going to Eagle we need a way to get protect all of our jobs.
[post="166547"][/post]​

I disagree with you on this one. You think we have problems now with the APFA? Just think what kind of a mess this would create. They need to stay with the AFA.

I think theres no end to what we could ask APFA what the could do for us- the last three years have been paralizing for the membership-

At risk of sounding to cliche- I think its time to ask what we can do for APFA- We need an empowered membership and a trusted leader-unity. THB has her work cut out for her-until this union shows some unity and credibility we wil just sit an spin our wheels-
JMO
AC

I have put my union pin back on my uniform and feel very optimistic..

AA AC LA FA is right on target. What do the members have to do for APFA? As a first, I would say - participate and have your voice heard. I know there are many who do, but my general sense is that the membership of APFA with a few exceptions is rather apathetic.

L1011Ret said:
As a first, I would say - participate and have your voice heard.
[post="166680"][/post]​

I just feel that the majority of this membership is just fed up with all the crAAp we have seen and taken over the past 3 years. Our fellow bothers and sisters on furlough have found other jobs and could careless about this career anymore. They get APFA information and ballots in the mail and they go directly to the circular file. I think we will see a lot of furloughs turn down a recall because they have found new careers with better pay. Most of them feel they will never have the chance in the next 4 years to comeback to flying. So the say why waste 37 cents to mail back a ballot?

Hopefully after this Thursday, we will see a new beginning in the APFA. The first and most important topic on THB's list should be; getting the UNITY back within this membership! :up:

According to a friend of mine who flew for AE for a long time, APFA used to represent AE f/as. However, an APFA rep with the initials THB negotiated such a crappy contract for the AE f/as that it triggered a representation election which AFA won. I asked my friend about the idea of a f/a flow-through agreement between AA and AE similar to the pilots. Her response was "Why should the AE f/as allow themselves to be made into furlough fodder by APFA the way they did the TWA flight attendants?" Have to admit, I didn't have an answer for that one.
[post="166629"][/post]​
[/quote]

HI
Just to clear the record I've been in AE for 11 years plus and the reason that AFA represents the f/as was the fact that all 4 carriers in AE system voted for them. No THB person had nothing to do with it. Unless THB was with Flagship in the early 90s.

APFA represented Flagship Airlines (JFK and MIA)....TWU represented Executive Airlines (back then only SJU) & Wings West Airlines (LAX)... and AFA represented Simmons Airlines (ORD & DFW).

Ballots were for AFA or APFA or TWU. The mayority of the f/as voted for AFA. Executive F/As were very bitter with APFA back in 93/94 when we came to them and asked for thier help to see if we could also be represented by APFA as TWU was not looking out for the best intrest of the f/as only to collect the union dues.

[In the 4 years with TWU we won 3 to 4 grivences. But thats another story.]

We were told by APFA representaives based in SJU that "we were diffent, we would never be the same and shouldn't mix together". We tried various times for there help ,as we were told by APFA in DFW that only though the APFA SJU base we were seek help.

We approched them again and we were again turned down. 3 years later we were to have 1 Union to represent all AE F/As APFA arrived to SJU asking for our vote and that we would have a voice on the MEC committe.
We (mayority that is) told inflight that we were not intrested in any other Union to be in the lounge but AFA. APFA had a table in the break room.
Where they found themselfs looking at each other as hardly no one went to them for questions. When some one did approch them...they asked why isn't anyone else asking them questions and we responded "ohh were diffent remember,we would never be the same and we shouldn't mix us together". Funny back then.
If anyone doubts about this please ask a Senior F/A at Eagle! HEY Guess what I'm one.LOL
That was back in the past and we should all learn to work with each other. Any way good luck to you all in the upcomming weeks. Anyway all the bitterness is gone AMEN!
Take Care
:)

LiveInAHotel said:
I disagree with you on this one. You think we have problems now with the APFA? Just think what kind of a mess this would create. They need to stay with the AFA.
[post="166671"][/post]​

AMEN to that LiveInAHotel AMEN :rolleyes:

It is about time someone really started thinking about the future of your jobs. In my opinion you should be talking with the pilots on this one and do everything you can to bring Eagle under the AA fold. ALL PILOTS, FA'S AND MECH'S!!! The battle we face is the growth of Eagle at the expense of AA. It is rather disheartening to see one company of AMR hiring like crazy while furloughing at another part. If AA is going to survive and compete in the future it will be because we all contributed.

APFA you need to think rationally about this. Eagle is drooling at the growth, just ask the new hire pilots and FA's at the academy. I am not knocking any of the employees, I am knocking the establishment and our total lack of foresight.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link!